DART fighting losing battle with HOV violators

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Only 26 officers to patrol 75 miles of HOV lanes in Dallas...most violators don't worry about being caught - it's not likely. :(

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/hov.JPG[/xfloat]Steve Stoler - WFAA - Feb. 29, 2008

Background: Most Dallas-area HOV lanes have no barriers, so drivers enter/exit them when they please...and cause a lot of accidents/delays. DART puts up some barriers to control this, but now there are a lot of car breakdowns hosing up the HOV lanes. Related story: DART Plans Overhaul Of HOV Lanes

Plano, Texas - More than 100,000 people use HOV, otherwise known as high occupancy vehicle, lanes every day in North Texas.

It takes two to travel the HOV lanes, at least that's the law.
    The reality, however, is much different.

While DART officials say they're doing everything they can to keep the HOV lanes safe and crack down on violators, more than 8,000 people a day are using those lanes illegally. On top of that, it appears they rarely get caught. Around eight tickets are written each day for the offense…[rm]http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080228_mo_hovviolatorstwo.8d2df57.html[/rm]

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Last few articles I've posted (this one and teen car deaths) are not directly fuel economy topics. My rationale is they both cause bottlenecks, which waste time and fuel. The most likely time I might slam the accelerator is the 20-30 something guy racing around "like a man".

That's what I'm thinking.

3. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Driving with my brother in the LA area I got the impression that the HOV was enforced pretty strictly including crossing the double line. Don't know for sure if that is correct.

In the Denver area it seems to be used as a passing lane quite frequently the little I actually see the HOV zones and the fines aren't very high.
    Enforcement seems lax.

4. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

What saddens me is how little the Dallas HOV lanes are used. I wish EV, hybrid, or certain MPG cars would be allowed to use the HOV lanes with a single occupant.

5. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Why don't they take the lesson from Fornicalia and just do away
    with the whole thing?
    _H*

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chuck:
    ___We can all but guarantee a much higher % of speeders are allowed to “get away with it” (it being that illegal activity) too :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Hard for me to imagine...we never had barriers on our Diamond lanes in CA...but then again, most people didn't violate. As bad as I always thought drivers were there, now that I drive here, I find there was a certain code of conduct there that others don't have. We didn't illegally use diamond lanes (well, hardly ever).