Smart Fortwo forum open for business

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by xcel, Mar 4, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Just a quick note that the new Smart Forum is open per a request of Deezle. Threads about the Smart Fortwo both old and new as well as discussion on the variants including the std. Fortwo, mhd, diesel, and EV now have a place to call their own :)

___Good Luck and enjoy!

___Wayne

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

What a smart idea! :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p)

3. deezle

deezle Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne. I doubt that the smart will take up much space.

I've noticed a few good topics and articles about the smart, particularly Wayne's review http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7133. Now those of us that are interested in the car will have a corner office to visit.

Personally, I've owned a smart for over three years, so mine is the previous series (450) to what is now being sold (451). Mine is also the diesel version which is not being sold in North America at this time. I'm not a hypermiler yet (maybe when I get a scangauge), but I am looking forward to seeing what some of the pros on this site can do with the car when they get their mitts on it.

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Do you happen to have the manual transmission? What sort of numbers have you been seeing from the car so far?

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a diesel variant with a 5spd manual transmission!

5. deezle

deezle Well-Known Member

They were sold only with a sequential six speed transmission (automatic clutch). We got the optional 'soft-touch' which is a button on the side of the stick that when activated turns it into an automatic shifter. We didn't get the optional paddle shifters (on the wheel) which are very sporty in certain driving situations but cumbersome in others. My wife uses the automatic option---I like to shift. The current generation smart comes with a five speed (for both gas and diesel versions---though the diesels aren't now sold on this side of the Atlantic).

We get 56 mpg U.S. (4.2 l/100km) without even trying (I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit). That is with about 65% city driving. I know that it's quite easy to get that up to 68 mpg U.S. (3.45 l/100km) and I'm sure that many members here could hit 75 (3.14 l/100km).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. lamebums

lamebums Member

Just curious...what would it take to say, drop a hybrid drive into a Fortwo diesel? It'd be the ultimate commuter car, probably getting 100 MPG or more. Or perhaps the ability to go full EV on shorter trips...

What's with these new smileys? :Banane37::Banane04:

:woot:

7. cuchulain

cuchulain He who posts articles

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Andrew, that was a fun video -- I liked her "Can do; I'll fix it!" attitude. :D

9. deezle

deezle Well-Known Member

Good video clip. I suspect that the EV smart will get quicker acceleration as lithium-ion batteries get lighter and more powerful. The range between charges will also likely improve before they go into full production.
    Lamebums: I think space might be an issue for a full hybrid/diesel version. There is a mild hybrid version in Europe. But, ya, the combination of hybrid/diesel seems ideal. Actually, the Opel Flextreme---a sort of European version of the Volt---will have a diesel to generate more juice if the batteries fade.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  10. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

It was quick enough? FE is what counts! H