It's hard to assure Top Tier gas is better than others

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 3, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

''There seems no easy answer to the simple questions: What is bad gas? How can I avoid it?''

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Shell_Station_3_059_regular_unleaded.jpg[/xfloat]Road Warrior - Morning Call - Mar. 3, 2008

Shell is a Top Tier and if you can find it at the lowest cost, do it. I guess ;) -- Ed.

Q: Recently you said there was no difference between Shell, Exxon, and other gasoline brands. In fact, there is a big difference. Shell V-Power is a Top Tier product. It has four times the additives to keep the throttle body and fuel injectors cleaner.

Bob Kalb, Salisbury Township

Your recent story on the cheapest gasoline rings true. Of course, there are claims made by the auto makers that not all gasoline is created equally. Please check out Top Tier gasoline for another perspective on the supposed quality differences between brands. In your opinion, is Top Tier really the top, and if not, what allows certain manufacturers to use such labeling?

Barry Coles, Bethlehem

A: Also hammering the Warrior's cylinder head regarding gas quality is Jason J. Gaydos of Bethlehem, who contends that low-cost, low-detergent fuels clearly reduce mileage and harm engine components.

In the Dec. 24 column, the Warrior said he could find no reason to refrain from buying no-name gas. The objections came in faster than a Porsche 911, prompting another run at this volatile issue. It turned out to be a long trip, with few rest stops offering clear answers. It's hard to distinguish the marketing emissions from the clean air of proven facts.

The Environmental Protection Agency requires all gasoline sold in the United States to meet minimum specifications for chemical additives that act as detergents to help keep fuel injectors clean and internal engine parts free of carbon deposits and other impurities that could impair the engine's functioning, and thus increase emissions… [rm]http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-warrior-mar3-08,0,6880132.column[/rm]

Thank for the find Fr. John!

2. CaliberMan71

CaliberMan71 Banned

I know Exxon/Mobil use 10% ethanol in their gas.

3. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Honda recommends Shell and Chevron.

4. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

I still don't see why some think certain brands our better than others..the oil all comes through the same pipelines and sources then they add some additives before it goes on a truck. If there is any differences...imho it would be very marginal.

5. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

^^ Not to mention with gas hitting record prices I will continue to fill up @ the cheapest station (racetrac) like I have with all my other vehicles w/ no problems and save what little money I can.

6. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Me too. I've been driving for over 50 years, have owned numerous cars, have always used the cheapest gas I could find, never buy anything but 87 octane, and have never needed an engine overhaul. Right now I am driving a 1995 Buick Roadmaster with a Corvette V-8 engine. It has over 140,000 miles on it (I bought it new) and still runs very well. I also have a 1988 VW Rabbit Cabriolet with 250,000 miles on it. No engine problems with it either.

I think people who buy high test are (in most cases) just wasting their money, and those who think one brand is better than another have probably been misled by an oil company.

7. km6wt

km6wt New Member

For what it's worth, I've ran a few tests in my truck with Chevron and the local cheap stations. With Chevron, I get 1-2 more miles per gallon. So, it a tankful of gas, it more than makes up the difference in cost.

8. lamebums

lamebums Member

With Exxon/Mobil I get about 7-8 more miles to the gallon. Then again it's the only non-E10 station I've found so far. :)

9. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Ethanol is determined by locale rather than by manufacturer. If ExxonMobil is the only chain in your area that has E10 chances are the surrounding high population areas have the E10 mandate and they are blanketing rather than creating 2 fuels for 1 area.

Accurate but incomplete. Like Toyota and others, Honda has signed on to the Top Tier standard: http://www.toptiergas.com/

That is an oversimplification. The brand names either refine their own stuff or buy from those that match their standards. This guarantees a minimum level of quality for the fuel. Non-brands like Racetrac, Murphy's, etc. buy from whoever is the cheapest at the time. What this means is that if you always fill up at, say, Shell, you will always get at least a certain quality level of additives, but if you buy non-brand it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you'll get a top tier brand at a lower price and can call it a good day, but other times you will get horrible long-term-storage crap with cheap, calorie-stealing additives, water content, etc. (e.g. Citgo).

If you are lucky enough to go year after year without an issue then good for you! I'm not willing to gamble it, though, especially when my personal choice, Shell, continues to offer me consistent mileage and a nice rebate program.

10. Timzride

Timzride New Member

Hello, I have a 2007 Honda Civic which I bought new and from day-1 I have used Shell gasoline, but I'm getting rough starts where my car seems to sputter a bit before settling down. Honda recommends using regular 87 octane fuel in the Civic, so that's what I have always used.

Does anyone think I should perhaps try bumping up to 91 octane or maybe switching to Phillips 66 fuel since they are on the Top-Tier list? Shell and Phillips are the only TT fuels available in my area, so I'm hesitant to try other fuels not on the list. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

11. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

No need for a higher octane but you could try a tank of the competitors gas for a change. - Dale

12. Timzride

Timzride New Member

Update:

Since putting up this post I have switched to Phillips 66 gasoline and away from Shell. I've been using the different gas for roughly 3 months now and I can report that my fuel mileage per gallon has increased by approximately 4 mpg. Going from an average 24 mpg city to 28 mpg city. I sometimes get as high as 30 mpg city.

I don't know what the difference is, but Phillips gas has improved my 2007 Honda Civic's fuel efficiency.

13. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

That's well within the realm of what a driver can do to fuel economy, and quite easily at that. I wouldn't be too quick to chalk it up to the gas.

14. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Actually, on Shell gas of whatever grade, I've noticed a consistent 5-10% drop in mpg. I've checked a half-dozen Shell tanks over several months- hypermiling, normal driving, and racing. Checked against similar tanks & conditions, All show the same 5-10% drop.

no noticeable drop with any other gas- Top Tier, name brand, off-brand, grocery store. just Shell.

15. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

When I lived in Alaska, there was only one refinery in the state. Every gas station and every gasoline brand used the same gasoline from the Tesoro refinery, with the only difference being the additives. Since there were no problems with, for instance, all Exxon users experiencing clogged fuel injectors, and there's no reason to expect better mileage from an additive, I bought whatever was cheapest. Still do, except for boycotting Exxon since 1989. Nothing's changed in gasoline distribution procedures and policies.

16. 09Ranger2.3XL

09Ranger2.3XL Well-Known Member

As info:
    top tier does not mean high octane.

Top tier companies have more & better additives

top tier stations have a better maintenance schedule for their tanks, pumps, & FILTERS.

Here is a easy way for those who just love the cheap stuff.

Go to a parts store or maybe Wal-Mart still carries them, & get a fuel filler filter.

It slips over the nozzel at the gas station & filters what you put into your car.

You will be amazed at the amount of crap that filter catches. & you should finally have your eyes opened to the truth about Joe blows el-cheapo gas.

Top tier is better.

Also a tip for you folks is try to fuel up at newer gas stations.
    They should have less crap built up in the tanks.

17. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I think the brand/octane/additive issue can really be dependant on the vehicle driven. On higher compression/performance tuned engines it becomes more critical. I have drained the tanks of MINI Coopers, BMW, SAABs and Volvos of fuel that they couldn't even idle on - poured it into the tank of a Chevy Corsica and never missed a beat.

I personally stick to top tier fuels - I've seen too many bad tanks from cheapo stations, however I usually run 87 octane (all I have access to is E10) with a tank of 93 octane when I change my oil every 5,000 miles for a little extra additive package for the injectors and valves.

18. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I would say that you should look at the area around the underground storage tank (UST) fill manways. If the UST manways are below surface grade or in poor condition you should expect that sometimes fuel there becomes contaminated by mud and water when deliveries are made in bad weather. Old stations have more trouble with this, but sometimes the grade will also be bad at a new station.

19. 09Ranger2.3XL

09Ranger2.3XL Well-Known Member

^^great point.