07 auto aveo and ready to cry

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by wallyma, Mar 1, 2008.

1. wallyma

wallyma New Member

my 01 standard nissian got 32 mpg. work is 4 miles at 30 mph.
    this 07 auto aveo is getting 24 mpg.

the aveo revs so high between shifts. I try to accelerate as slow as I can. Is there a trick to fake it out to shift?

I always manually shifted in 1500-1800. this thing shifts in the mid to upper 2000's.

I dont get the hold button. it doesnt seem to work. if I put hold it in 3rd shouldnt it stay there even if I stop and start again?

Can I get this thing adjusted so it shifts lower?

and ideas. i would appreciate it.

2. friedlbug

friedlbug Well-Known Member

Hi Wallyma. Don't despair, winter stinks! I'm a noob here, too, so I'll leave most of the advice to people who know more than me, but my suggestion is to log a few full tanks of gas and see where you are for sure. I'm dealing with the same thing right now - I went from a '95 MT SL1 to my '08 AT Yaris and immediately expected mileage better than I am getting. It will come.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2016 Crosstrek, 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi

Hi Wally,

Those short commutes are really a killer in wintertime... Try the usual quick checks - keep the tires pumped up to sidewall indicated maximum, ensure you have clean motor oil of the correct viscosity and synthetic if you can afford it, grille block of some sort, minimize idle time. Do you park indoors? If so, try an engine block heater for a couple hours before cold starts. Try not to run the cabin heater until you have driven a ways.

Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts. Good luck!

4. wallyma

wallyma New Member

thnx! These things I will try!
  5. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

I rented an Aveo (auto) a while back - It was very inefficient at 65 MPH, but great at the 57-59 MPH level. I also noticed the smaller engine took some getting used to while accelerating - I tended to over accelerate it at first because I was used to the typical over powered cars we buy here.......I wanted to scream at on ramps. After I learned to accelerate slower, the Mileage skyrocketed ( I only had it for 475 miles, so this isn't a pure science result)

I really liked the AVEO - My wife, 7 year old and myself rented it for a long weekend. We had more than enough room to pack all the food, bags, and other things. I kept thinking to myself what a great car it was.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know I got significantly more than 30 MPH HWY - but I tend to drive at 55 MPH when it is safe on the HWY.
  6. zef95

zef95 Skinny Pidgeon

I feel like I can trick an autobox into shifting. Let up on the accelerator when you feel you want to shift. After the shift, you can move the pedal bock to almost the same position.

Sorry if this is a repeat or obvious, but I feel it works better than holding a light throttle position (too slow, especially up hills).

I took a roadtrip to LA from Chicago for a competition, perfected this, and routinely got 2mpg better than any other driver for the same speed. It was a Chevy Silverado V8 w/ a trailer (yikes). Ironically, the road trip was for a competition for student-built race cars, FSAE.