Welcome Turbo Willie!

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Chuck, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I want to give willie williford a special welcome to CleanMPG.

He has a if not a one-of-a-kind Insight, a rare one as it has a turbo. Willie may be the fastest 60mpg drive on the planet. :cool:

Here are a few pictures of his red Insight at City Hall in Lewisville, Texas.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___A have few more from the 2006 Tour De Sol including both Turbo-Willie’s Insight and Willie himself!

[​IMG][​IMG]

___Willie, it is great to have you here and I cannot wait to meet you again in person!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Hey Willie!

Great to see you here. I enjoyed the chat we had this summer at Hybridfest regarding your Guzzi experience.
    I especially enjoyed seeing firsthand your ingenuity with crafting the turbo system.

4. rweatherford

rweatherford Times my Mileage by Six

Welcome,

What size turbo did you use for such a small motor? I assume the turbine trim is also very small for low RPM operation.

5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Welcome Willie! That is some great work you did with your Insight. What have the modifications done for you in terms of acceleration and fuel economy?

6. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

+1

Always thought you can't just bolt a turbo onto a car without having lots of problems with engine internals and whatnot.

7. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

As long as boost levels are kept quite modest, you do not necessarily have to make lots of internal engine mods to run a turbo. Also, if you stay out of boost you are putting very very little if any extra stress on the engine, and I imagine that a 50+ MPG car doesn't spend a lot of time on boost.

-soD

8. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Welcome and I look forward to learning more about your Insight.

9. Euroford

Euroford Well-Known Member

Not usually the case. I've retrofitted turbos on my personal cars and customers cars in the past. Like some_other_dave says, if you keep the boost down, usually under 7psi everything should be fine. Some N/A factory ECU's can even handle a light boost retrofit application. I installed an IHI RHB5 turbo on a single cam Neon once and the Stock ECU was quite happy with boost set to 7psi.

Neat to see and Insight with boost..... :)

10. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Welcome Turbo Willie! I was very impressed with the quality of the fabrication that it took to get that turbo on your car when I met you at Hybrid Fest last year.

11. highwater

highwater Well-Known Member

Welcome Willie,

A great guy.

If one ever gets the chance, they should sit down on the curb and listen to Willie tell his pet squirrel story.

Hope to see you again Willie.

Randall

12. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Hi Willie, nice to see you here. I had the pleasure of a nice long conversation with you at Hybridfest regarding your Insight, and a few other fun things.

13. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I wonder why he turbo'd it though? How much boost is it running anyway?

14. willie williford

willie williford Turbo Insight

Hi everbody, thanks for having me. Now I have to learn another forum all over again. Glad to hear from the great people I have met before. I won't take up too much space answering questions about the LITTLE RED ROCKET other than it is still "Trucking" after 218,000 miles and my LMPG is still at 58.5 as I am not a hypermiler, but can be at times.
    I normally "drive with the flow", with a little "HOTROD" thrown in.

If anyone wants to read the "history" of the rocket and most of the routine questions asked, it can be found at :

http:///www.**************.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=253&start=0

If my health and the Insight holds out I hope to be at the Hybridfest again this year.

Willie;)

15. rweatherford

Now how am I supposed to click on that? Wayne?

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Rex:

___The same way IC linked ours :ccry:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. rweatherford

? What does that mean?

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

It means that CleanMPG is a dirty word over on insight (no space) central (period) net and therefore the reverse is true here.

Right click on the link, copy the link location, paste it into your browser's url bar, and replace the "*" symbols manually.

19. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Huh?? Why would another forum be a "dirty word"? I only know of a couple of cases of that (two more, now)--and they were both due to the pig-headed attitudes of the moderators/owners/administrators of the particular forums.

I would suggest that we be above that sort of behavior; let the InCent guys censor whatever the heck they like, and not bother to do it here.
    -soD

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  20. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

We might remove that site's name off the dirty word filter. It's a site for Honda Insights...while very informative, it can be very controling by insisting:
    • Pictures posted there can't be much larger than wallet-sized.
    • Can't re-ask questions...the burden is on the member to use their primitive search engine to see if the issue was addressed anytime in the last five years. Otherwise, the thread will be locked without warning.
    • Offtopic posts will get a thread locked, even if it's pleasant, non-controversial, and fit for family viewing.
    • Posts related but not ontopic have been locked without warning.
    • Even ontopic posts that are not hard ontopic have been locked.
    • Controversial topics such as politics are not allowed, even to the point of a casual mention for instance, of a 2008 Presidential Candidate.
    • They had a moderator that almost seemed to delight in prohibiting something...I had this picture of a stern school master pacing the class with a ruler circa 1900. I am also reminded of the Austin Power's episode where Dr Evil tells his son Scott to "zip it" to the point he can't talk - not trying to be funny here.
    • Wayne and I were very active at that site 4-5 years ago...a couple of sites that grew quite a bit (this is one of them) were put on their dirty word filter - even in the sig. Reason behind the two censored sites growning is they are not overmoderated to the degree you wonder if an attorney should proofread before posting.
    • Their largest thead by far was Mike's MIMA thread...then their staff got into their "Thou shalt not" mentality once again, and wondered if Honda would frown on a mod directly to their hybrid system...of course any automaker would and void the hybrid warranty...instead of a legal disclaimer, they locked their largest thread...I invited Mike to resume it here.
    • While the good members there are on a very short leash, they do nothing about the most notorious hybrid/EV troller on the net...he has shut down at least one site and seriously attacked at least half a dozen others with multiple socks and other advanced trolling.
    That's probably more than I should have said, but it's factual.

A site with the atmosphere described for a discontinued hybrid is not exactly going to grow or remain relavant, so they might be removed from the dirty word filter....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008