US Spy Chief: Russia, China, OPEC Could Use Oil as a Financial Weapon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Feb 7, 2008.

In the next five years, will the US experience an oil embargo like in 1973?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
  2. No

1 vote(s)
  3. No, but only after responding to extortion and changing a policy

4 vote(s)
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Who needs to saber-rattle, when you can shut off the spigot?

Randall Mikkelsen - Reuters - Feb 5, 2008

Assesment is hardly from the fringe, but well inside the Beltway - Ed

WASHINGTON - The United States is worried that Russia, China and OPEC oil-producing countries could use their growing financial clout to advance political goals, the top U.S. spy chief told Congress on Tuesday.

Such economic matters joined terrorism, nuclear proliferation and computer-network vulnerabilities as top U.S. security threats described by National Director of Intelligence Michael McConnell in an annual assessment.

McConnell said U.S. intelligence agencies had "concerns about the financial capabilities of Russia, China and OPEC countries and the potential use of their market access to exert financial leverage to political ends."...[rm][/rm]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  2. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

So it's totally acceptable that we use military force as leverage to political ends, but it's not alright when others exert financial leverage for the same reason?

How arrogant we are. :mad:
  3. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Our arrogance displays itself in our choice of vehicles. SUV's and pickup trucks, gas hogs, are more than half of all new vehicles sold. Our government is arrogant to put up with this, knowing full well that we are dependent of foreign oil, and that is giving us political and economic problems. These problems are conspiring to lower the value of the dollar, which will cause even higher oil prices. And the tyical Joe six-pack thinks he is being patriotic by putting a large flag graphic on the back window of his 4X4. That's arrogance based on ignorance.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Is this a surprise to anyone? They ONLY reason some of these people tolerate us is that we keep sending $$$ to them. This and my back pocket are the reasons I hypermile. The less we send to them, the less leverage they have on us.
  5. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

As the years roll on, never forget.........

Cost of Iraq War = Free PHEV Conversion for every American family
  6. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Amen, brother Andrew, Amen!

I, like you, hypermile because hypermiling is morally the correct thing to do, given our country, and the worlds circumstances. My back pocket wholeheartedly agrees with my moral inclination.

I further suggest an "arrogance abatement" tax. People who buy low MPG vehicles (under 35 MPG) should pay a substantial annual license tax for their "constitutional right" to have and use it at our countries (and the worlds) expense. Proceeds from that tax should go directly to help all Americans buying high MPG vehicles (35 MPG or higher) in the form of a rebate.

Doing something like this would turn around our current direction quickly. It would also turn around the big 3's irresponsible direction, very quickly. We need it to happen quickly!:Banane04: