Mercedes provides keys for first commercial hybrid trucks in Europe

Discussion in 'Commerical Transportation' started by xcel, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. xcel

    xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

    European hybrid truck test fleet’s are hitting the streets to prove viability for the benefit of all.

    [xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Mitsubishi_Canter_Eco-Hybrid.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Jan. 29, 2008

    Stuttgart, Germany - Deutsche Post World Net is the first logistics company in Europe to trial a pair of Daimler/Mitsubishi hybrid trucks in its operations. The first two vehicles, a Mercedes-Benz Atego BlueTec Hybrid and a Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Eco Hybrid will initially be run inside DHL Express’ operations in the UK and Mail transport in Germany.

    The Mercedes-Benz Atego BlueTec Hybrid 8 TonUS GVWR is propelled by a compact 3.0L four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine developing 125 HP and 215 Lb-Ft of torque. The hybrid drivetrain includes a Li-Ion pack not much larger than that of a Prius at 1.9 kWh. A liquid cooled MGSet with output of 47 HP and 146 Lb-Ft. of torque is located between the clutch and the automatic transmission. The MGSet propels the truck on initial launch without the engine, assists the diesel engine at lower and medium engine speeds and once up to cruising speed, the vehicle runs exclusively on the smaller sized fuel efficient diesel engine alone.

    The Mitsubishi Canter Eco-hybrid is rated for the same GVWR as the Atego BlueTec while also using a 3.0L turbo-diesel producing 143 HP supported by the same MGSet and pack capacities. Even with the extra technology, the Canter Eco-hybrid still includes a gross payload of approximately 4 tons. DHL has been successfully using the Fuso Canter Eco Hybrid in Japan since July 2006.

    “With this initiative we are underlining our technological leadership in the sector and showing that we are serious about our environmental responsibilities,” said Christian Stiefelhagen, Member of the MAIL Divisional Board responsible for transport and mail centers within the Mail Division. Daimler and Deutsche Post anticipate that the two hybrid vehicles will use up to 20% less fuel than conventional diesel vehicles with the same % reduction in CO2 emissions.

    Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corporation (MFTBC) headquartered in Kawasaki, Japan, is one of the leading truck manufacturers in Asia. Daimler AG owns 85 percent of MFTBC; the remaining 15 percent is held by the Mitsubishi Group.
     
  2. koreberg

    koreberg Junior Member

    Now all they need to do is release a pickup with the same engine and drive train. There goes the big 3s last market niche.
     
  3. Earthling

    Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth


    I could be wrong, but I consider pickups as very suitable vehicles for full-hybrid powertrains. You've got all kinds of room under the hood, and hauling a battery pack around is no big deal in a truck. Downsize the motor to a I-4 diesel, combine it with a hybrid system, and you have all you need, and good fuel economy.

    Harry
     
  4. koreberg

    koreberg Junior Member

    If they left it as a v6 they could advertise more towing power than blah blah blah able to life to crates from a freefall in the grandcanyon. Then add, we get twice the mpg too. So while they might only need the i4 with a v6 they could make a bigger dent in sales.
     
  5. Chuck

    Chuck just the messenger

    If we could go back in time in Who Killed the Electric Car? Detroit would have told the California lawmakers that having 5% of their drivers in EVs was impractical, but they would have had a counterproposal...change the thrust to make hybrid/alternative energy trucks for state and local governments. They would be a test bed so the technology would be proven by the time it was introduced to passenger vehicles. It's also my take on California's hydrogen highway - use the limited hydrogen filling stations on state and local vehicles first.
     

Share This Page