Yahoo DNS is slow to respond sometimes

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by BailOut, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Yahoo DNS, which hosts the records for this site, has had some speed problems for the last month or so. When this lag occurs it is always when yns1.yahoo.com either stops responding or seriously lags. When this occurs I am always able to dig against the other Yahoo DNS servers without delay.

The DNS settings on the domain record for cleanmpg.com show the DNS servers as:

yns1.yahoo.com
    yns2.yahoo.com

Yahoo has 4 primary DNS servers so I suggest using yns3 and yns4, or at the very least reversing the 2 we have to make yns2 the first entry.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Or move to a better dns provider.

3. BailOut

yns1.yahoo.com is lagging again. My first query resulted in a drop and my refresh took over 7 seconds to respond.

From the command line there is a 4-7 second response delay right now.

I notice that server is still listed as the primary DNS for cleanmpg.com:

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brian:

___I will try and do something with this when we get back. There is a lot of change in the works for the site over the next few months and only minor tech changes will be worked. Best to think of it as life-support for the time being.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. BailOut

Wayne,

I certainly understand prioritizing but this is a quick fix. Once you log into the control panel where you can manage the domain just find a link to the name servers, make the changes I suggested in the first post, and save them.

10 minutes tops. :)

6. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

bailout, in the mean time you could always update your hosts file with cleanmpgs server address. This will make it super quick for you :)

7. BailOut

I always used to do that, Tom, until it got me into a touch of trouble last year. YarisWorld's DNS host truly sucked so I set up a host entry on all my platforms, but one day the fellow that owns the domain moved the site to another hosting place, but did not shut down the old one... he just blocked the login stuff.

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure out why I couldn't log in.

Ever since that day I've taken on the belief that it is much more effective for a webmaster to straighten out their DNS issues than it is for me to find a client side workaround. ;)

8. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

setup a local cacheing dns server.

9. BailOut

Already done at both work and home, koreberg, but Yahoo's default TTL is just 600 seconds (10 minutes).

Once again, rather than working around on our ends I think we should just get it fixed the right way. We've already spent more time talking about it than it would take to fix the DNS entries on the domain record.

10. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Can't you override the ttl value? People do it to my stuff all the time.:mad:

I agree the site needs to get fixed, but I thought xcel has already said he's not going to do it yet, until the major changes are made.

Just trying to throw out other options. Besides I like talking about this stuff. :D