I wish everyone that owned a truck would sell em!(except me!)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by shovelhead91701, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shovelhead91701

shovelhead91701 New Member

I have been reading these forums today and my neck started turning red............ As a business owner in retail sales I understand the "need" people have for being noticed for what they own rather than for the "smart" choices they make. That being said the other side of my business is construction of homes, decks, swimming pools, etc. and I firmly believe that if everyone that does not "need" a 1 ton vehicle due to work issues would drive something appropriate to their lifestyle then truckers and other working men like myself would not be forced to pay through the nose at the pump for diesel........ SUPPLY AND DEMAND!
    I live in southern oklahoma and I believe that everyone should own a truck due to the nature of our lifestyles here but do you need a 1 ton diesel to get to Wal-mart? Are you buying that many groceries? If so I would like to come and live with you because we don't get to eat that well at my house.
    As for several of the comments on here about 4X4 enthusiasts, well, I am one of them and I wish that everyone would try as hard as we do to take care of the land and trails that we run on. You can't imagine how much trash that I have picked up over the years on hiking trails while back at camp on a 4x4 trip. Recreational fuel consumption in this country is but a drop in the bucket to what we all use and I feel that choosing a better vehicle for your needs would offset almost all of the problems that we face as a nation in regards to being greener and in our trade deficit in regards to fuel.
    While I am on my soapbox i would also like to mention that a HUGE portion of our trade deficit with China is indeed being caused by Wal-Mart and its subsidiaries.... See a website called [deleted] for details....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Shovelhead:

___Welcome to CleanMPG.

___Most here see the work truck in a similar light but only up to the point that it is actually used for its intended purpose. Unfortunately, some appear to be hauling 5 – 15,000 lb loads necessitating the need for a huge P/U without thinking if they do in fact need to own the 5 – 15,000 lb load in the first place? Example: I have a 12,000 pound trailer I need the FSP P/U truck to haul it. Do you need the trailer in the first place or is it a want? This is the question some should ask of themselves given what we have seen the past 24 hours? Our country cannot afford to be giving trillions of dollars to our enemies anymore and it is only a matter of time before we pay for it dearly once again. Our currency is already trashed, our standard of living is falling by ways of the CPI being manipulated and yet we still send tens of billions a month to those that have killed our citizens and military.

___About off-road trails. There is a want to do off-roading and then there is the need. Forestry Service come to mind here. It does not matter if one were to clean up an entire forest, driving around said forest at 2 or 3 mpg for rock climbing is not what I would call being kind to our planet or the forest let alone all the baggage that goes along with it. May as well just buy a few hundred bullets and send them over to a Saudi or Iran sponsored terror organization for all that is worth :rolleyes:

___As for Walmart, you bet. You should hear Keith and his dealings with them over the years while delivering 50,000 + pounds of goods to a Walmart near you :rolleyes: He will not even deliver to them anymore given the shenanigans let alone what they do for the US as a whole.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Shouvlehead,
    I have noticed a HUGE increase in the number of Diesel pickups in the New Orleans area.Now we do have some construction going on, but 99% of the Diesels aren't towing,and don't have more than 1000 lbs of whatever in the bed.Diesel 3/4 and 1 ton are fashion statements now.Yeah,they do get better mpg than spark motors when heavily loaded-towing etc, but there is no way these folks are towing enough to make up for the $5000-$6000 premium(usually a lot more since they load them out) that the Diesel motor option usually costs.
    Heck,you can buy a 1 ton Dually Dodge-2 wd-for just $19990 around here.Granted it has just the Hemi, but it can carry 2000 lbs in the bed,and tow at least 10,000 lbs.Besides,I hear Ford owners constantly bitching about problems with their 6 liter TDI.Not as much from Duramax or Cummins owners it seems.
    I ride a bicycle a lot,and hearing one of those monsters rattling down on me doesn't make my day.I can just picture those tow mirrors wiping me off the road.
    You are right-there are waaaaay too many 3/4 1 ton diesel pickups.There is no way that most of them make $$ and sense-not for $30,000+(with many >$45,000).
    Luck,
    Charlie
    PS I was in AZ not too long ago.I noticed that the state cops drive lots 3/4 ton trucks-not cars.Diesels??!!-not a one-they were all the lowest trim level Dodges and Fords(mainly Dodge 3/4 tons).This was in northern AZ-Flagstaff-they have a little snow in N AZ,so the 4x4 pickups made sense.

4. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

As I've said, our truck wears many hats. Towing a large trailer (which, if my parents sell this house and go full-time RV'ing, there's no substitute for cubic inches when crossing the Rockies and/or Sierras) and a boat. Property maintenance. Ski vehicle. A truck is the only vehicle that can wear all these hats at once.

5. mgmorrison

mgmorrison JAPH

____Don't underestimate the Hemi, those of us who own will attest to the power they have. Not even close to the diesel's capabilities though.

____What REALLY upsets me is this. MY buddy with his Dodge (6BT Cummins) will consistenly get 3-4 more miles per gallon that I will with Jeep Commander (Hemi). Now granted Jeep does cut 4 of the cylinders out at hwy speed, but it doesn't help. What should I do? Selling the Jeep is not an option. Would it be worthwhile to install a 4BT Cummins beneath the hood?

6. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

The issue with diesel prices isn't due to consumers with diesel trucks. It is due to the military at present.

I use a diesel truck to tow a trailer a few times a year for work and I use a gas med sized suv to tow for my personal uses. It is much safer to use the big truck (03 Ford F-250) than our Yukon. The yukon is near max capacity with a 6000lb trailer and stopping distances and vehicle stability are a great issue.

I too am an avid outdoorsman, and I agree that hikers need to learn to clean up after themselves.

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi MG:

___What are you towing everyday that you need more then the Hemi?

___Hurricane, the military? Anything to do with a fuel supply somebody believes needs protecting on our dime?

___DieselTruck, really? Just off-roading is adding to our emissions. Care to stick the tail pipe of your truck into your house and burn off 2 or 3 gallons? An automobiles exhaust is just as bad as second hand smoke. Thanks for smoking :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.