SMART Road Trip from Los Angeles to Detroit

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by xcel, Jan 16, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___A little story that kind of ticked me off a bit so it will not make our news but is worthy of a post :(

___Here is a message I sent to both Ken Kettenbeil (SMART's Communications Director) and Dave Schrembi (President of SMART USA) on Nov. 3, 2007
    ___Reply? None. I had asked MB for a 320 CDI Blutec for the same a few weeks prior. Reply, None.

___Guess what SMART and MB did down Route 66 for the Detroit Autoshow this past week?

SMART and Mercedes-Benz demonstrate high environmental friendliness in a real-world test.

Detroit – In an unusual long distance test the Smart Fortwo and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class demonstrated their top position among the most climate-friendly cars. On a trip from Los Angeles via Chicago to the Detroit Auto Show 2008 they demonstrated outstanding fuel-saving qualities in everyday real-world conditions. On the 4,400 kilometer route the Smart Fortwo mhd recorded an average consumption of just 4.8 liters per hundred kilometres. The two Smart Fortwo CDIs were satisfied with 3.9 liters, and even the business saloon E 320 BLUETEC (US version) consumed an average of just 5.8 l/100 km.

The journey from SMART house in Venice, a district of Los Angeles to Detroit took seven days. For a large part of the time the route led the test convoy consisting of one Smart Fortwo MHD, two Smart Fortwo CDI’s and an E 320 BLUETEC along the legendary old Route 66. Media representatives from Germany, Italy and the USA took turns at the wheel. They had to cope with lonely highways, desert stretches, mountain passes and busy cities. And a severe spell of winter weather with fresh snow and temperatures of down to minus 15 degrees Celsius increased the challenge and made for tough driving conditions …

On Route 66 the Smart Fortwo CDI proved that it rightly deserves the distinction of being the most economical production car with a combustion engine. Thanks to the world's smallest direct injection diesel engine the 33 kW/45 bhp two-door model consumed just 3.9 liters per 100 kilometres in real-world conditions and traveled approximately 850 kilometres without refueling.

___MB and SMART must have spent well over $20K for all the drivers and vehicles to make the trip and then ended up with some pitiful numbers to go along with it :rolleyes:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Ultimately 90% of the owners will be the same idiot drivers that are driving the current cars. They would never achieve anywhere near the numbers you can and will most likely have lawyers on retainer to sue mb when they can't get numbers that they read about.

I think most the manufacturers are afraid to "mislead" the consumer by providing numbers that the average consumer would not beable to attain.

However I would also be annoyed if I were in the same position.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That is unconscionable. If they were worried about unrealistic numbers they could have just included you. Baseline and upper reaches both -- it would have made a nice contrast. "Here's what the average Joe can do with our car. Here's what an EXPERT can do with our car!! :eek:"

Classic big corporation stealing ideas junk. :(

4. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

The average consumer CAN achieve Wayne's numbers... they just have to get educated about how to properly drive for fuel economy and practice, practice, practice.

Never! say never ;)

5. HAFNHAF

HAFNHAF Well-Known Member

i guess my insight would get about 2.9l/100km. and wouldn't be nearly as butt-ugly as the smart. sorry, just my opinion of the thing.

6. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

You know... I used to think the Smart was an ugly car... but after getting to sit inside one at the Detroit auto show... I'd drive one. Kindof a fun looking car.

7. HAFNHAF

HAFNHAF Well-Known Member

maybe as a low-speed city car. kinda new-age looking. somehow i think a car should at least *look* fast on the highway.

8. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

@blake the average person can do a lot of things, but won't because they don't want to put in the time and effort.

9. dixonge

dixonge Newb

I have a co-worker who has had one of these on pre-order for months now. The other day we were talking about it and I couldn't believe something that small had such mediocre EPA gas numbers. I wouldn't drive it unless it outdid every other non-hybrid on the market. OK, I would probably never buy it period. But that's just me.

And I can't believe they stole Wayne's idea!

10. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

I wouldn't drive it, unless it would give the insight a run for its money.

11. 99HXCivic

99HXCivic Well-Known Member

So what the mpg rating of the Smart? I don't know how to convert!

12. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

33/41/36. From here.

13. 99HXCivic

99HXCivic Well-Known Member

That's real crappy mpg for such a small car! I was expecting 40 / 52 mpg!

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

15. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

That's just *sad* :( - I can do better in my FEH (well, not at the current temps in WI :eek:)

But then I think it's a *crime* that 30 years after the 1970's energy crisis automakers are *bragging* about small cars that get 35mpg :mad:

Sigh....

16. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

I fully agree with Right Lane Cruiser, they blew it. It would have shown more people what is actually possible - as though MB was really concerned more with fuel conservation than making a profit. Tha mind set made them blind to the value added twist to Wayne's participation.

Remember to take what they did as a compliment. They weren't able to think this up on their own, and they weren't even able to see the full value of what Wayne offered, and these are supposed to be the best of the best marketers. Well, they left money on the table.