Another gas hog bites the dust

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by brick, May 18, 2006.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Last week I noticed a shiny new Jetta in the parking lot at work, but didn't know who owned it. Well, today I figured it out as he drove by: The guy who **used to** own the electric blue WRX STi! As he exited the parking lot I figured out what his motivation was: TDI :D Apparently he got over his toy and figured out what's really important in a daily driver.

2. Texashchman

Texashchman Well-Known Member

Yeah but I'd still love to have one of those to drive on a sunny day!kevin

3. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

The STi is rated at 18/24. I guess it's all relative, but that's better than any SUV's and pickup trucks get, and better than some minivans too. Does that really count as a gas hog?

4. brick

Ok, fine. "Gas hog" may have been a bit strong of a term to use, in the grand scheme of things. He could have chosen a Suburban or an H2 instead of the STi, and I don't disbute that the Subaru must have been a blast to drive. BUT: When you consider the size of the car and the way it was used (back and forth to work every day, just one guy) it is hardly economical transportation. Either way, my opinion doesn't matter much; his actions speak far louder than my words.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brandon:

___Not every P/U ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

now a turbo.... i have theories it can improve my mileage IF USEN wisely...

but one segement of fun hahaha FE out the window!

7. brick

I thought about the semantics of the STi and have a solution. Hence forth I shall refer to small cars that are inefficient for their size as "gas piglets."

8. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Gas piglets, huh? Well ok. But anyway, for phil, yes, the turbocharger was once upon a time considered the ultimate fuel economy tool because it let you get away with using a tiny engine while still having acceptable power. Thus for the 95% of the time you were using "normal" amounts of power and not on boost, you had the efficiency that goes along with having a small engine. I think the smallest that made it to the USA was the Dodge Colt 1.0 liter turbo, which had a Japanese brand equivilent, but I forget what it was.

The closest thing we have to that now would be VW with the new GTI with its 2.0 FSI engine, I suppose. When comparing against another car of similar size and power (Civic Si) the VW has roughly the same fuel economy while having a lot more torque and powering a heavier vehicle. Now if they had elected to run more turbo boost, they probably could have used a 1.7-1.8 liter engine and gotten better fuel economy while making similar power and probably still more torque.

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brandon:

___Good points! Volkswagen has done the same as the rest of the manufacturers however. Let us play the HP game, the HP game, the HP game :(

___I think this time around it is going to bite them all but VW in particular given the TDI will be going on a hiatus after the fall of this year due to the non-compliant emissions. Not only does VW have to deal with a falling US currency, they have nothing on the FE side of the fence to offer the public anymore …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Yeah, VW's real problem is their bread and butter model - the Jetta non-turbo, and to a lesser extent, Golf (now Rabbit again) non-turbo. While the Accord 4-cyl has ~165hp and is rated at 26/34 and 24/34, the Jetta 2.5 5-cyl is priced similar and has only 150hp while rated at 22/30 for both MT and AT versions. Less power AND less fuel economy? Come on, VW, get your head in the game!