MO. - Blunt initiative includes tax deduction for Hybrid vehicles

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 6, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Since the first of the year, all gasoline sold in Missouri must contain a 10 percent blend of ethanol.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Ford_Escape_Hybrid_E85.jpg[/xfloat]John Pepitone - FOX 4 News - Jan. 3, 2007

2008 E85 capable FEH manufactured in MO. - E10 across the state, done deal. HEV tax credit, great! E85? Why press that hot button :confused: -- Ed.

Missouri's governor announced initiatives on Thursday designed to increase availability and use of ethanol and encourage more drivers to buy hybrid vehicles.

Higher fuel prices are driving these initiatives. Governor Matt Blunt wants Missouri to offer up to a $1,500 tax deduction for those who buy hybrid vehicles.

Governor Blunt chose Ford's Claycomo plant to announce his alternative fuel initiative. Three out of ten pickup trucks made there are so-called flex-fuel vehicles, able to run on an 85 percent blend of corn-based ethanol. But e-85 is hard to find.

The governor wants to give a tax credit to gas stations that install e-85 pumps and he's offering a quarter a gallon tax credit for those who put e-85 in their tanks.

"I would much rather fuel my car with corn grown by Midwestern farmers than oil drilled by Middle Eastern dictators," Blunt said… [rm]http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5386078&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1[/rm]

2. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Wow.... I think Mr. Blunt either needs to read up a bit on the effects of corn based ethanol or the governments of the middle east. either way he's making huge generlizations... one being not a great option and the other grossly false. :(

great! lets ruin our environment to further the addiction instead of finding alternatives that are sustainable and clean. :rolleyes:

While I don't think the 10% ethanol mandate is a terrible thing, its not great either. Personally I think the encouraging they are doing with idea of offering $1,500 tax rebates to hybrid purchasers will encourage more change and effect on the environment.

3. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

he seems pretty good at putting up the blinders.... how that guy ever got elected I'll never understand

4. jkam210

jkam210 Member

I thought FE was reduced by adding alcohol? If so, by how much? If the hit is 10 % then are we using less gas?

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jkam210:

___E10 forces a 2 – 3% FE hit. And like anything else, 2 – 3% more fuel use places 2 – 3% more in the states coffers …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pound on Blunt. I think his heart is in the right place. But it really shows how few alternatives we have. We cant get a hold of Euro high MPG cars. Band-aid hybrids is the best we have from the big 3. Ca. was told NO on higher state MPG standards. Our cost of living is skyrocketing due to oil and the middle eastern Emerates continue to buy our country out from under us, with our own money, no less!!

At least he is trying to do something........

7. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Any step in the right direction is a step in the right direction.

Other than that I do think that we need to be energy independent.