CleanMPG’s 2007 Year in review

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, Jan 1, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Shocking, maddening and everything in between :)

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/548/Chevrolet_Volt_Front_Page.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 1, 2008

What started out as a year with plans of Hypermiling reviews and Auto Show visits turned out to be much much more. The biggest news of 2007 came about from a vehicle now known as the Chevrolet Volt concept. Few had known anything about the Chevrolet Volt’s existence prior to the 2007 NAIAS (Detroit Autoshow Press Event) and now, billions do. Although completely unexpected, this little known preview said it all. GM’s Chevrolet “VOLT” did indeed shock the industry!

From February through the beginning of summer, the Chicago Autoshow, 2007 Milwaukee Autoshow - some members will be there in person with the Milwaukee Hybrid Group in attendance, multiple Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago Group Meets, and the annual Hybrid gathering at Miller Park in Milwaukee occurred.

Then of course the grand daddy Group Meet of them all, Hybridfest 2007 happened! We had Hybridfest 2007 Videos, The Unofficial HybridFest Live-Blogging and photo thread 56K beware and Who did you meet at Hybridfest 2007? showing us all what we missed :D

One of the most labor intensive but satisfying gatherings of all happened in the small town of Pewaukee, WI in late fall. What came to be known as the MiHG Prius Electronic Block Heater Install gathering turned out to be a labor of love for Wayne Mitchell and Ken Keuler helping members of the MiHG set their hybrids up for winter.

The final show of the year was held in Los Angeles, California and included the 2007 GreenCar of the Year, the Chevrolet Tahoe 2-Mode. For a retake of that event, the 2007 LA Auto Show Wrap-up should take care of any discussion regarding why a car was labeled green while receiving a paltry 21 mpg combined :rolleyes:

The final Group Meets of the year included the Madison Hybrid Group Meet on Nov. 10, the Milwaukee Hybrid Group Meet on Dec. 15 and a new group that hit our radar screens going by the name MN Hybrid Group Meet held on Dec. 22.

And what about the madness? We have all had the opportunity to hear about the latest Energy Bill passing including the initial details spelled out in the Energy bill passes the house and stalls in the Senate coverage. What happened afterwards was the Tax breaks for the largest oil companies were left in place, the renewable power generation sections were stripped and we received a new car FE bill so watered down with loopholes it will leave us dependant on foreign oil supply until the last drop has been sucked dry :angry:

And of course the Turkey’s (the automotive variety) of the year nominations arrived just before Thanksgiving. Let us only hope sales of these birds fall to such a low level it makes these monstrosities simply an asterisk in the pages of 21st century history books!

As far as vehicles are concerned, we had the opportunity to look back at one of the vehicles that started the hybrid movement in a review tagged “A Wolf in sheep’s clothing.” That 2002 Prius-I not only proved that older Hybrids still had an ace or two up their sleeves but another of the same make, model and year is pushing into the record books for a hybrid vehicles total miles traveled. That being Jesse’s “Ride of the week” – August 1, 2007 and it is just about to hit 350,000 miles!

Another proverbial favorite was shown to us courtesy of the European continent in the form of the Honda Civic 2.2L iCDTi. In the review captioned “Shot across the bow, the Diesel invasion of America is about to begin”, many of us learned what is in store in the not to distant future. Oh what a future it is too :)

The real fun began when we had the opportunity to take a closer look at the upcoming 2008 SMART Fortwo. It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or empty; it is still a fun to drive runabout for a city dweller in particular!

While driving around in a 2007 Toyota Prius-II, a new all-highway but slower speed FE technique was discovered and thus named SHM. Trust me, if you own a Prius-I or II, you will want to try this one out ;)

A look back at some CleanMPG stats. Here is where we came from (Happy New Years All!), and here is where we are today.

CleanMPG now has 2,287 members vs. just 439 a year ago, 7,417 threads vs. 2,969 threads a year ago and 60,426 posts vs. 17,809 from a year ago last night.

My own upload pics, files and posts log: 6,033 total posts vs. 5,055 a year ago, 1,743 PM’s (sent and received) vs. 950 a year ago, 1,116 photos vs. 1,682 photos a year ago (I am a slacker, aren’t I :D) including 63,969 MB’s vs. 74.288 MB’s uploaded. All from a year ago yesterday.

And finally, my own CleanMPG 2007 Word stats revealed the following:

Column1Column2Column3
    Word documentCleanMPG News 2007CleanMPG Posts 2007
    Pages w/ 10 pt. font7831,004
    Paragraphs12,50022,628
    Lines43,40655,899
    Words386,145432,513
    Characters (no spaces)2,242,3952,267,127
    Character (with spaces)2,621,9192,683,038

What can we expect for 2008?

Group Meets, Group Meets and more Group Meets! 2008 Detroit, Chicago and LA Auto shows, a 2008 Prius-II and upcoming 2009 Prius-III review/pre-view, the upcoming 50-state compliant 2009 VW Jetta TDI review, Hybridfest 2008 coverage by the same and who knows what else we will have in store as the year passes. I suspect Tom Baleno (co-owner of CleanMPG) will have some interesting surprises and with that, may you all have a Great and Happy New Year!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2007 CleanMPG Quick Pics - Year in review.​

Now who is going to be the first to place all the pics above with the proper story?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Re: CleanMPG’s Year in review

What a year!!! :D

3. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

Wayne, you and the other early adopters deserve credit for providing a great service to the rest of us. Thanks! Keep up the good work, and '08 will be even more productive.

4. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

I concur... thank you for providing the information and motivation to improve our fuel mileage... not only for ourselves, but for the benefit of the whole world!

5. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Looking to the east for CR-Z!

6. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the many upcoming changes we will hopefully see in 08. I would like to wish all of you a safe and happy new year.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

CleanMPG is one of those things that expanded beyond the wildest dreams.

It started out as a haven to discuss hypermiling, and has become one of the green sites to watch.

Like managing finances, the wise use of fuel is something more and more people are taking an interest in.

8. bradlee

bradlee Drive Less When You can - Drive $mart When You Do

Great write-up Wayne. When you look back to see CleanMPG's accomplishments these mile posts are only the tip of the iceburg. The thousands of lives and habits that have been touched and changed because of CleanMPG is the real success story. The ripples that you and Tom, and all the CleanMPG members, have started will continue to spread through the world of transportation around the world.

I thank you for helping the MiHG develop into a dynamic hybrid owners group and for giving us the opportunity to spread the CleanMPG word. There is something to be said that the Midwest is such a center of activity with CleanMPG, Hybridfest, MiHG, MHG and the CPG all growing up the area and nurturing each other.

As the numbers indicate, there is a movement growing and CleanMPG is leading the way!

Bradlee
    Milwaukee Hybrid Group

9. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

10. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

2287 members vs 439 a year ago, that is great growth and a testament to the excellent information available on this website. Congratulations and thank you goes to everyone involved in running and maintaining this website. Best wishes for everyone in 2008.

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

To give you some idea of the growth rate, I snagged UID 678 (cool, huh? :D) back in April. That is CRAZY fast!

12. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

Congratulations to CleanMPG & to you, Wayne, for bringing us all together here :) :) :)

I continually draw inspiration & education from this site & its members - many of which I've been privileged to meet in person :) :)

It's the best on the web in my book :) :) :)

13. 99HXCivic

99HXCivic Well-Known Member

How old is this forum / when did it start?

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi 99HXCivic:

___Feb. of 06. I hope that helps ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. fitmpg

fitmpg Well-Known Member

Very nice recap- Especially since I am new to the website. Wayne, thank you for this important resource. I have a feeling that membership will continue to grow quite aggressively for a long time to come.
    brian