My Prius ride with a lifetime 45 mpg owner

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by sup'd, Dec 31, 2007.

1. sup'd

sup'd Well-Known Member

Dear cleanmpg-by (abby):

I rode in the Prius of a friend of my gf today and it was a horrifying experience.

I tried to explain no arrow gliding, the different stages of operation.

She drove the car completely wrong technically , but at the speeds and style she drives at could easily get mid-50s if she just understood how the car works and how to use it.

I don't blame her though, I blame toyota for not properly instrumenting the car and instructing people how to drive it. She has 40,000 miles on the car and is convinced that is what she is going to get.

I wish I would've offered to drive to show her, but hers was already warmed up. I had no idea that someone with 40,000 prius miles would drive it like they didn't even know they were driving a hybrid.

Should I try to do anything more?

Sincerely,
    No Arrow Glider

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Her approach is typical of the average driver. To be honest, most won't have the patience to learn and consistently apply hypermiling techniques, in the Prius or any other car. That's part of the beauty of the Prius: You can just drive it normally and still get 45 MPG. I agree that Toyota could have provided more instrumentation, but to offer instruction is a bit much. This is a car for the masses, and IMHO they don't want to imply that it takes special skill or instruction to get excellent results.

If you have the chance again, tell her about your results and ask if she'd like to find out how to get them. If she turns you down, take comfort that she's still getting better FE than 98% of the drivers out there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Sup’d:

___That is why a clinic is so important ;)

___If you get the chance to go out with her again, explain everything before you move an inch. Reset her FCD and watch the magic happen. Little more, little less with hand gestures and she will get it.

___Remember that EPA on a Prius-II is 46 mpg and that is about what most receive. The tricks to blow though that are all there but it is not going to be an easy transition for somebody stuck in their ways :(

___Thanks for going out with her and do not give up. The first time she sees 60 – 80 mpg, it will shock her into submission :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

It may seem like a lot of work to her at first. So make sure she realizes that (a) it quickly becomes habit, far less effort required, and (b) it makes driving a lot more fun.

5. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

@lightfoot
    I tried telling that to my wife, she didn't buy any of it. :D

I agree with jimbok, she might not want to drive differently. However my assumption would be that someone who buys a car thats sold as a FE wonder, would be more willing to change their driving style to get better FE. A lot of people can get defensive about their driving styles. I think Jim's approach is a good one, because she might not want your help.

6. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

I tried the same thing with a friend who recently got a Prius,
    on my way back from HF last summer. I offered, I really did.
    She doesn't care, and gets defensive about meeting or exceeding
    the usual butthead styles around the DC area. She even
    ranted about it, although probably hasn't seen my rebuttal
    since her journal didn't allow comments.

How does one go about reaching the hopeless, besides $10/gal?
    _H*

7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Dude, it isn't you--I read some of her other entries. Maybe she was irritated that you didn't give her enough "atta girls" for driving a Prius and then when you suggested she could drive better (she was proud of her 45 mpg) ....um, some people don't respond well to direct guidance. It sounded like some of your message got through, for example, about tire pressure. I doubt that she can really be reached until she wakes up from being absorbed with her busy life. Maybe emphasizing more relaxing aspects (e.g. DWB) as opposed to technical issues ......

"A woman convinced against her will is of the same opinion still."

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Hobbit:

___I am sure you were not taking turns at 50 or drafting semi’s or holding up traffic at 15 - 25 mph yet that was her take.

___You cannot speak intelligently to an idiot and we know which side of the line her mind lyes :) To bad $10.00 per would only fall on her types :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Actually I thought she seemed reasonably smart (after all she's one of Hobbit's pals;)) and opinionated, but she uses her blog to blow off steam about things that frustrate her. The emotion (and strawmen) in her rant I thought indicated frustration that she wants better fuel efficiency, but is too busy/tired to take actions much beyond her vehicle choice. She may come part way around to Hobbit's point of view if she slows down and thinks things over. If she didn't care, she wouldn't rant

10. sup'd

sup'd Well-Known Member

The thing that frustrated me was that she drives fairly close to how I drive in terms of rate of acceleration, following distance, etc. But she didn't even know what a no arrow glide was after 40,000 miles. I thought that the people getting mid-40s were the ones driving 80 on the interstate, I didn't realize that not knowing all the technical things about the car would cause that much of a drop.