New Electric Vehicles Coming Soon

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Dec 27, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Look for a number of exciting choices in vehicles that use little or no gasoline, improving energy security and addressing the threat of a potential climate crisis.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/548/Chevrolet_Volt_Front_Page.jpg[/xfloat]John Addison – Seeking Alpha – Dec. 23, 2007

Chevrolet Volt – Lutz "95% chance of production, 55% chance by 2010." - The rest, pie in the sky ... -- Ed.

By an overwhelming 314 to 100 vote, the US House of Representatives passed the energy bill [H.R.6] with the new CAFE standards requiring auto makers to sell vehicles that average 35 miles-per-gallon by 2020. President Bush signed the bill into law.
    Americans want to pay less at the pump and be less dependent on foreign oil, especially oil from countries hostile to the U.S.

Many are not waiting until 2020. They are driving vehicles now that get better than 35 miles per gallon. Some are starting to drive plug-in hybrids that achieve over 100 miles per gallon. 40,000 in the U.S. drive electric vehicles that use zero gasoline and produce zero emissions.

Sherry Boschert rides on sunlight. She charges her electric vehicle with her home’s solar power. Her Toyota RAV4 EV runs fast on freeways and silent on quiet streets. She uses a zero-emission approach to transportation. Sherry Boschert is the author of Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars That Will Recharge America.

Some are celebrities like Tom Hanks, who has been driving electric vehicles for years including his RAV4 EV and Scion xB that was converted to an EV by AC Propulsion. Other celebrities have deposited $100,000 each on average, eagerly awaiting the Tesla Roadster electric vehicle with its 245 mile electric range.

Electric vehicles are not just for celebrities. Many are priced at a more modest $10,000 and only go 25 miles per hour. They are popular in fleets of university campuses, large facilities that need zero-emission in-door vehicles, shuttles in corporate multi-building campuses, and even the military. They are a popular second car in two vehicle households. These low-cost EVs are fine for those who will compromise on speed and range. Reasonably priced new vehicles are coming with few compromises and many exciting features… [rm]http://seekingalpha.com/article/58158-new-electric-vehicles-coming-soon[/rm]

2. AshenGrey

AshenGrey Well-Known Member

I sure wish there were EVs other than the quasi-useless golf carts nd the $100,000 celebrity-mobiles. Yeah, I love how all the celebs drive hybrids -- and fly private jets everywhere and ride around in bullet-proof limos.

3. PA_CivicCX

PA_CivicCX Fast Medical Transport Cruiser

These new ZENN and PHEVs do nothing for me.

1. ZENNs are only legal on streets with a speed limit of 25/35 or less. My work is mostly highway driving, so that leaves me out.

2. PHEVs are too short-ranged (about 200 ~ 300mi). I do much more mileage in a single day's work, and I suspect that the "range" is daylight driving without running much except a little A/C and the radio. Since my shift is at night, that range is more than likely going to be much less than advertised.

Even in PHEV cars where this is not the case, its plug-in recharge leaves people like me (who live in apartments situated without off-street parking) out in the cold. It's just not feasible to run a power cable down 7 stories and possibly across a street...or down the block...or around the corner.

In either case, there are other barriers to entry, but my focus is on the technical aspect of it all.

Looks like I'll still be waiting for my next car...someday.

4. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Too bad chevron holds the patent to nimh batterys. That's the only thing that keeps there from being BEV's on the road today.

5. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

My comment to GM.

Yea, but what have ya done for me today?? (Oh, I forgot the hybrid Tahoe)!

I can't wait till 2010, I need one now. And besides, by that time others will have eaten your lunch!

6. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

PA Civic: 4 people, 300 miles with hotel load and some reserve, and a trunk is the hurdle cars have to meet. A car that can do that and recharge in under 8 hours will handle 90% of passenger car trips. I don't see how 300mi is "too short".

7. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

@warthog, I think the other issue would be charging points at hotels. Although the hybrid engine does well as a mileage extender. It also serves to boost acceleration from the smaller engines in those vehicles. Many people would not be happy if the vehicle had less power and got crappier mileage for 3 days out of a 4 day trip.

8. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Fulll recharge in 8 hours is the hurdle. Infrastructure changes would be fairly minor. I forgot to add the acceleration. 0-60 in 10s s ia good benchmark. Not overly demanding, but allows pulling out into all but the worst of traffic.

9. Kool Breeze

Kool Breeze New Member

It would seem that more and more companies are seeing the future potential of electric vehicles. Pininfarina along with Groupe Bolloré of France are working on a 4-seat electric car due out by 2010.

If you trust Chinese manufacturing, Miles Electric Vehicles is working on a lower cost 5-seater.

For their own sake, I hope that GM doesn't spend too long twiddling their fingers before releasing the Volt. If they do, they'll find that they've missed the boat once again.

10. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the estimated release date is now 2011, and the estimated price has risen to $40,000. Since 2011 is 3 years away. what will the effects of inflation do to that estimate? :confused:

11. GrendelKhan

GrendelKhan Well-Known Member

Make me buy Japanese. Gladly.

-Gren

12. rweatherford

rweatherford Times my Mileage by Six

If you delay the launch to 3 years from now... If it is like most technology shouldn't the price go down or the features go up? Were talking about electronic tech now, not the old "car" methodology of design.

13. iamian

iamian Well-Known Member

there are lots of them in the middle

you just have to look around... they are not the big companies that slap you in the face with commercials, and have dealers every couple miles ... you have to do some leg work to find them.