Would an engine block heater do me any good in So. Fla

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Devinator, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Devinator

Devinator Hypermilin Fugitive

Hi all, I am new here and have been voraciously reading all the articles and posts on this site for the past couple days. I had no idea that FE could be so greatly improved even on regular old non-hybrid cars.

My question for you is: will a engine block heater make a noticeable difference in FE in So Fla. I know they are intended for cold weather areas, but even if the temp is 85 degs here the engine still has to warm up. Also I do a lot of short 2 or 3 mile trips where my engine never fully warms up.

Thanks in advance.

Devin

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hi, Devinator! You are quite correct about improving mileage on non-hybrid cars -- there are a number of us here who pull numbers most would never believe. ;)

I used my EBH all the way through summer up here in MN and we had days in the upper 90's. It will help!

Welcome to CleanMPG -- I hope you get as much out of this community as I have. :D

3. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Devinator, I've noticed both of my Toyotas seem to kick into closed loop mode (more effecient mode) when the coolant temp gets to around 130-135°F. The faster you get there, the better the mileage. After that, the increase in mileage (and decrease in emission) isn't quite as drastic, but its definitly still there.

4. Devinator

Devinator Hypermilin Fugitive

Thanks for the great advise. Do you have any recomendations for a particular type or brand. I have noticed there are a few different types.

Thanks.

5. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Welcome to CleanMPG Devinator! Yes, even non-hybrid FE can improve if you change driving style. My '99 Saturn SL2 proved that to me.

I also used my EBH all through last summer. In those warmer temps, I would find my coolant temp at ~150F after having it plugged in for a few hours on the timer. Lately it starts out at ~120F and means that in most cases, I'm warmed up enough within 2 miles to be in the most efficient mode of operation.

6. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Its usually easiest to just buy one from a dealer that is made for your car. I picked mine up at https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/. You can probably get yours there too, but you have to call them. For some reason its not listed online. For reference, I think mine was around $28.

7. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

My fit get to operating temp within 1/2 mile. The coolant anyway. It starts in closed loop, or within seconds anyway. It's that hot here on Fort-Lauderdale.
    I would not spend the money on a block heater, but would pay to see the dealer's face if you buy one in Boca.

All the best.

Louis B