Japanese-Built Prius Carries Energy Bill

Discussion in 'Legislation' started by xcel, Dec 20, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Michigan Republicans Miffed Energy Bill Sent in a Prius.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2007_Toyota_Prius1.jpg[/xfloat]AP – Dec. 20, 2007

If the Republican minority believes that a Prius-II delivering the Energy bill to the White House was a slap in the face, maybe they should consider the kick in the teeth they gave the American people with a bill requiring a miniscule 26 mpg overall by 2020 and allowing tax breaks for oil companies, the most profitable industry on the planet, to continue :confused: -- Ed.

WASHINGTON -- When Congress sent an energy bill to President Bush for his signature, it arrived in a Japanese-built Toyota Prius hybrid -- a move that rubbed two Michigan Republicans the wrong way.

"It is a huge slap in the face, calculated I believe, just to demonstrate their complete disregard for the domestic auto industry," said Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., called it a "slap in the face of every American auto worker."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., they argued, could have provided the same symbolism by sending the bill Wednesday in a U.S.-built hybrid made by Ford Motor Co. or General Motors Corp.

Drew Hammill, a spokesman for Pelosi, said the Republicans were "merely attempting to distract from the success of the Democratic energy security legislation" and noted that 95 House Republicans supported the bill.

The energy bill requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020… [rm]http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071220/energy_bill_prius.html?.v=1[/rm]

2. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

A similar article here:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1219energy-split1219.html

I only include it because it contains a ridiculous, laughable quote from my former Congressman, Joe Barton (R-TX).

"The vehicles that are going to meet this 35-mile-per-gallon standard in the year 2020 are probably going to cost $10,000 to $15,000 more than they do today," Rep. Joe L. Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said.

3. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Its a slap in the face to every american that these companies ignore the needs of the population. Its a slap in the face that they attempt to force their poorly designed monster vehicles upon us instead of building vehicles that we actually want. Its a slap in the face that they do everything they can to make a quick buck, without any reguards to the costs of those desicions.

Finally it is a travesty that these Representitives wish the tarnish the names of the autoworkers, when speaking on behalf of the execs onboard at the auto companies. If the execs would have made better decisions their companies wouldn't be in the mess they're in today. These republicans need to start writing laws to help everyone, and quit taking kickbacks from the auto lobby just to make a quick buck for the top 1% in those companies.

This is a global market, quit writing short sighted loop holes into laws, that ultimately put the domestics at a bigger disadvantage long term.

4. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Well, since my congressman drives a black Tahoe SUV gas-hog, it would have been more fitting if the bill had been delivered in one of those.

Our politicians deliver a badly flawed energy bill, and then climb back in their gas-hogs for their trips home.

Harry

5. xcel

Hi Marc:
    ___Can I ask good ole Joe where I can pick up a new Prius for $7,000 :)

___Since the Bill requires 26 mpg by 2020, maybe he can tell me where to get a brand new Yaris, Fit, Civic or Corolla for free :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hey, me too!! ;)

7. Massageguy

Massageguy Active Member

I was so angry to hear about how the wind power energy industry was dealt a blow by the energy bill. I think that tax breaks and incentives aren't going to be renewed for wind power. This is nonsensical in the face of tax breaks that the petroleum industry continues to receive. I wonder if the Department of Energy ever did recover fees from the oil industry for use of federal lands and coastline from which oil profits were derived. When will our leaders ever do the right thing ?

8. amann1

amann1 Member

Maybe you need a new congressman. Mine drives a Prius-II.

9. desdemona

desdemona Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to voting for one of them in 2008.
    I sort of think of him as a Prius sort of guy.

--des

10. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

When you say "we", it unfortunately represents a decided minority. Most Americans want big SUVs and trucks, or high horsepower sports and luxury cars. Which, if you ask me, are pretty well designed, but just not for fuel economy. So the big push will probably be to get better FE for those types of vehicles, rather than to convince people to downsize.

11. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

I disagree on the well designed part, I've ridden in plenty of the suv's and pickup trucks offered by the big 3. Actually driven some too. I have seen a lot of poor quality and bad design in many of those vehicles. The large size and big thirst, are not the only problems with those vehicles.

People want what they see on tv. If the suv had not been pitched as the ultimate in safe family commuting, people would not want them. A lot of this was due to the loop holes in the law for suvs and trucks.

So we means what people in the know want, and what the rest of the people will want as soon as they make them look cool in the tv commercials :D

12. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

I absolutely agree!!!

They should have sent the bill over in a American made Ford Crown Vic!!

You can always tell which cars are American made, by looking at the VIN.. checking on Autotrader you can see that this 2007 Crown Vic was made in.....

Opps... Guess the Crown Vic is a Canadian Car...

OK.. Lets try GM... a good Chevy Truck...
    Nope... Looks like the Silverado is Made in Mexico.

Well at least it wasn't made in Japan like all the other Toyota's....
    Ohh yeah... that's right they are building some of those in Texas now.

:eek: :D :flag:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  13. xcel

Hi Dan:

___Great point! What would be more red, white and blue than a Ford Fusion delivering the same Energy Bill? Ooopps, made in Mexico :confused:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

14. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Amen, brother Koreberg, amen!!

Merry Xmas - Happy new Year!

15. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Why so expensive? It cost me less than $400 to convert my 45 mpg Civic into a 65+ mpg Civic.

16. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Wow 20 mpg increase, is that all from your aero mods?

17. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Mostly from the aero mods. The SuperMID also helped, but mainly to show me that the good FE wasn't restricted only to slow speeds. Before I got the MID, I spent all of my time below 55mph and tried to mostly stay in the 35 to 45mph range. I'm usually travelling a bit faster now. Its easier for me to get good FE at 65mph than it is at 30mph because the throttle (and resultant FE) is much less touchy at the higher speed and ICE power loading than it is when the ICE is outputting at barely above an idle at the slower speed.

18. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Then there are Toyota Tundra's built in San Antonio, and Dodge Rams built in Mexico....hybrid Camry's built in Kentucky and Chevy Aveos built in S. Korea.

Joe Barton is an example of the Texas Republicans I have to suffer...been voting GOP for 30 years, but lately this party has stopped catering to the entire middle class and has systematically undermined it....can't I vote for a conservative without them being in bed with special interests that hurt me?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  19. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Conservative? You mean ANY political party. Hell, I'm into politics and deciding my vote is like figuring which snake I want to get bit by. Can I get an honest man that I could actually invite into my home?

I liked when HUD put out the "green cars" list for its employees and had plenty of American made cars, but not a single Big 3 or SUV on it. They had to retract it after a week.

Oh well, do Detroit some good if they had to lean out for a few years.

20. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Amen, brother Koreberg, Amen to that!

People here either recognize the problem our country faces or they do not. Those that do not recognize the problem do not "recognize" it either because it is in their financial best interest not to recognize ( i.e. our legislators) it or because they feel that this is America and we should be able to buy anything we can afford and that includes a 5 gallon per flush toilet, or even a 10 gallon per flush jobbie if wanted.

And, probably it is also true, generally speaking, that one one can recognize people who recognize our countrys problem by the car they drive. I drive a 4 Runner (GAS HOG). BUT I drive it only when I need it and use an energy efficient car that I hypermile in for my daily 92 mile commute. When a good PHEV arrives I will be all over it like white on rice.

Most Americans still do not recognize the magnitude of the problem we face. But the good news is that the more expensive gasoline gets, the more Americans will see the light. It is a good thing that the only toilets available today are 1.6 GPF models. The comming of energy efficient cars to America is a good thing.:flag::flag: