"View First Unread" link misbehaving

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by JimboK, Dec 10, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Thanks to a post in PriusChat (which recently converted to vBulletin), I was made aware of this link that I had never noticed before. But when I click it in CleanMPG, it takes me to the main Forums page.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jim:

___If you are already looking at a thread in its entirety (already viewed) and there is no “new” posts, the link will default to the Forums page. If there is a non-read post, it will drop to the first unread. At least that is what I am seeing. Go to a thread with multiple pages that you have not seen before. The Daily grind is a good one and click the link. Let me know what happens.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. JimboK

Thanks, Wayne. I tried last week's Daily Grind previously, and I just tested it again on this week's. There was one page of posts when I last checked this week's thread, and now there are two pages. Clicking the link at the top of the thread still takes me back to the main Forums page. I've also tested it with some threads I've never read any of; same result.

FWIW, it's working for me in both PC and GreenHybrid.

4. xcel

Hi Jim:

___I will have Tom take a look and thanks for reporting it! I know we haven’t touched (maybe never otuched?) that one since setting up the forum so it should be an easy fix? I hope ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Which link exactly are you clicking?

Can you copy and paste the link so I can see what it looks like?

All the new post links I click on seem to work fine.

6. xcel

Hi Tom:

___It is the View First Unread right below the add reply button in a thread you have not seen all posts in.

___It appears to look at a cookie of some kind because in the case of this thread, it lists post # 58489 which is your post. When I click on it, it leads back to the main forum page for some reason?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. tbaleno

Okay, test it now.

8. JimboK

We're making (a little) headway. Now it takes me to the last post in the thread, regardless of whether I've read those that preceed it. I've tested it in a dozen or more threads -- some I've read a portion of, others I've never touched -- and the result is the same.

9. tbaleno

10. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

11. xcel

Hi Tom:

___The “View First Unread” is working under IE now. I never used that link before but it works ;)

___Jim or Michael?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. JimboK

Also using Firefox. And it still takes me to the last post.

EDIT: Wayne, I never used it before either because I never noticed it. A PC user mentioned it, and I figured it would be especially handy for long threads that have several pages of updates since I last logged in -- like the Daily Grind.

13. tbaleno

I usually just click on the double down arrow icon next to the thread names when I click on New Posts.

14. Skwyre7

It's still not working for me. :confused: I tried it with the DG thread in both FF and IE. It took me to the last post in both cases, which wasn't the first unread post. It's not a big issue on my end. I've gotten used to scrolling through previous posts. :cool:

15. tbaleno

It only goes to the last post if there are no new posts. Somehow your posts are being marked as read.

16. Skwyre7

Maybe I'm reading them without realizing it. :p As I said, it's not a big problem.