where is my gas tank door?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by LYLUVLY, Dec 4, 2007.

1. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY Member

I am a new member of CleanMPG. I love this site, enuff to post my 1st time. Read on...
    I have been driving (legally) for over 5 decades. . One would think I would have noticed the little secret on my dash that was staring me right in the face the whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

Quick question, what side of your car is your gas tank? If you are anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definitely have done it in a borrowed or rental car.
    Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.
    If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo below). It is that simple!
    I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I felt cheated!
    Why don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers Ed manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know! I would have insert a jpg, but have not found the command to insert, yet. TNX for listening.

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG. The site is good because of members like you contributing little tidbits like that.

I wonder if this information was never passed on because at one time it was common knowledge so people just assumed everyone knew. Then, since no one passed it on, the information was for the most part lost.

3. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

I did not know that... Thank you for that! While I don't have a probably remembering which side of the car the fuel door is on my car, it will be very useful in the future when learning which side.

I'll pass that on to everyone I know.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi LYLUVLY:

___Welcome to CleanMPG.

___That was a very informative first post! The Ranger has this neat little arrow next to the little pump whereas I have to remember the which side the rest are on. Not any more thanks to your addition!

___Good Luck and Thank you.

___Wayne

5. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Yes, thanks for that reminder LYLUVLY... I kind of forgot about that since I don't go to the gas station as often as I used to, and all our vehicles are Fords with the fill on the driver's side. Back when I travelled a lot for business and had rental cars, that was the first thing I'd look for when I got in a car.

6. shifty35

shifty35 Well-Known Member

Honda didn't feel like making the Insight too much different for America and left the fuel door on the right side.

Both my Civic's before had it on the left.

There is an arrow next to the guage though if I forget, I just have to overcome force of habit now.

And when you fill every 2-3 weeks, that's hard.

7. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Great tip, LYLUVLY! :) I did happen to know that, as both my Taurus and Mazda3 had/have this feature. It's quite helpful on those mornings without coffee and without a drop in the tank. ;)

8. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

like others said, since i don't fill so often, i forget. i will have to check that out when i leave work.

i actually do know it's on the driver's side, but i had one car, i think a subaru, that had it on the other side. couldn't figure out the sense in that.

welcome :)

9. Improbcat

Improbcat Active Member

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

Snopes has debunked this. There is no definite correlation between the icon and the filler. My '04 Scion, for example, has the filler on the driver's side, and a little arrow next to the fuel icon pointing left. But the handle on the fuel icon is pointing right, towards the incorrect passenger side.

10. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I'm like you, never heard of that one. Thank you , H