Up another mpg, after a big downturn

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by ssatrams01, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ssatrams01

ssatrams01 Member

I started this about two weeks ago and have tried different things. The first week I was up 25% on the mileage of my Tundra at 19.9, and was very encouraged to continue. The next week, I added turning the truck off at long (minute or longer) stop lights, and the mileage went way down; to only 1 mpg above where I was before I started. Apparently my truck is not set up for that kind of fuel saving technique. I was stunned, but determined to get it right. So this time around, I stayed running at the lights, and got the timing down on them a little better as well. Some are just annoying, there is NO way to go slow enough (without getting rear ended for going 5 mph) to not have to sit at certain lights, that's just the way it is. And I also worked on when to shift at what speeds. Anyways, after fueling up tonight I am a tenth below 21 mpg, at 20.9. Which is very cool because before I started I was always at 16 to 16.5. This is all city driving in heavy traffic. If anyone knows the Tampa Bay area, they know what I am talking about. I gotta admit, it has taken a little getting used to to be in sixth gear at 35 mph. What I've figured so far is
    1st gear to 5, 2nd to 10, 3rd to 20, 4th to 28, 5th to 35, and then 6th the rest of the way.
    It's working out so far. Now to get up the energy to get the topper off and see what gains I've got that way. I have heard that taking the tailgate off is more of a drag on the aero than a help, something about the air in the box helping as opposed to the slam behind the cab when it is missing. Ah well, we'll see......

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Excellent progress -- thanks for the update!

Those shift points look eerily familiar... ;) I don't have a 6th gear but that's about what I usually use for my Elantra. The engine has enough torque to pull the car along in 5th at 20mph with no throttle, but the number isn't very high (by my standards anyway) so I only use that if reasonable at the beginning of a warm-up run...

If you take the topper off you may want to do a partial bed cover. Ken (Slowhands) found some good info that shows the ideal turbulence set up is when you have roughly the last 1/3 of your bed covered, tailgate up.

How long were you leaving the engine off when you were stopping it? I'd also recommend looking into bump starting because that uses less gas and no starter to get going when compared to a key start... This would allow you to FAS and possibly pull your numbers up a bit more? Be sure to practice somewhere devoid of other traffic until you are EXTREMELY comfortable with the way your truck handles when you do things of this nature. Safety should always be first.

Keep working at it and let us know how you're doing periodically!

3. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

do you not have a tailgate? There has been many tests done that show tailgate up is the best... so if you have it, put it back on. If you don't I guess it will have to do :)

4. ssatrams01

ssatrams01 Member

-I would only turn it off at the really long lights, where I knew I had about two minutes before I had a chance to go,. Usually at a left turn lane, getting there too late to make it, a nessisary evil to get home from work.

5. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Thats really strange that your mileage went down only turning it off at the really long lights. Unless your truck forces a rich condition automatically at startup regardless of coolant temp, you should experience a net savings in gas. When you feel more comfortable with it I'd suggest trying it again.

What could be happening is that your coolant cools down enough at the stop to get you out of optimal efficiency temperature. Maybe try it again in the spring/summer when it warms up again :)