When is a status level assigned?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by mauidan, Nov 23, 2007.

1. mauidan

mauidan Member

Hello everyone..Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families...

Just a quick question from a novice...I have had 11 tank fill ups on my 3 month old Yaris so far (4 in the high 30's and 7 in the low 40's) and I was wondering when a status level (skilled) is assigned to your mileage log.

Thanks everyone.

2. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

If you've maintained over EPA combined for over 5,000 miles then your mileage log will reflect the change. As to what status (skilled, expert, elite) its 100%, 125%, 150% for cars 2007 and older.

For 2008 and newer cars I believe the ratings are at 120%, 150%, 180%

3. mauidan

mauidan Member

ahhh thanks very much. I only have have 3,515 miles on her so that makes sense....thanks for clearing that up !

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Paul, that is for tanks accumulated in the logs. :) As long as you have over 5000mi logged you'll have a rating shown in the overview.

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Paul, keep in mind that a vehicle not changed from 2007 to 2008 will have considerably lower ratings than the 2007. The higher percentages for 2008+ model years were chosen to have the same absolute numbers as that same vehicle back in 2007. In other words, if someone has the 2007 Yaris and someone else has the 2008 version (which is identical), if they have the same lifetime average they will have the same status level.

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Everyone is using the '08 numbers for the 3 month challenge run and my son(CobraPond) is at 262% over the '08 EPA numbers in his '99 Saturn SL2.

7. diamondlarry

8. Right Lane Cruiser

How many of those 2008 model year entries have more than 5000mi accrued? The mileage banners will show ranking but the overall mileage log overview will only show the status level if the 5000mi mark is exceeded. You can see this reflected in the Quarter Year FE section -- only 2 have a status level assigned.

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

First off, you have to have 5000 miles or more. 2008 vehicles are new, so some will not have the miles needed.

Here's an Expert in a 2008 car.
    [​IMG]
    He's this close to hitting the 5000 mile mark (4718 as of this writing).

10. brother

brother Well-Known Member

I did. Just filled up today. 51 MPG - 167%! Blew me away; was expecting 48 or -9. :D

Dunno if I can hold that or improve it tho...

And I'm a n00b. Some here get over 200% :eek:

EDIT: I believe ranking is by miles driven beating EPA, not by amount you beat EPA.

11. diamondlarry

My son's Saturn is at 194% of '08 EPA numbers for 9639.87 miles. It can be done

12. brother

brother Well-Known Member

Hello?

EDIT:
    Hide & watch. I have a 2009 & will be averaging 150% before my car is a year old. Bought it in May. ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  13. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Yes it can be hard to achieve those numbers but they are not impossible to get to. Besides as soemone once said, " Nothing worth having in life comes easy." This is true for achieveing high mileage as well as other stuff. .........just saying....

14. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

We could switch vehicles! :D:Dit only took a month to reach "expert" status in the beastly d-van!
    If you just used it for highway commutes you could have it up to "elite" in no time!:p:p:p

15. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

COOL! guess what? I just got my first 51 mpg tank too :), looks like we will be in a close race in the FE run!:D That is, until old man winter raises its ugly hand here in Minneso-cold, and does in my FE :( I used to love winter, but now that I know it will play havoc with my hypermilin', not looking forward to it as much!

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Paul, I'm not sure why you are fixated on this. The '08 ratings had an extra reduction built into them. The set points were adjusted to hit the same numbers that applied before that reduction. To see the difference, take a look at my sig banners for the Insight -- that drop is why the set points are different.

There isn't any preference for one or the other. Mileage ratings for vehicles dropped across the board for cars that remained the same.

I'm not sure why you are insisting the ratings for '08 Fits are the same as for '07 Fits:

2007 Fit ratings

To read the site, look at what the bold numbers are (updated '08 specs) and compare them to the grayed out numbers below marked "Official." You can clearly see the reduction in ratings.

17. Right Lane Cruiser

Please respond to the link I posted and tell me why you still think that '08 Fits are being penalized?

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Please also note that there are no mile restrictions on the ratings to be found in banners. The general overview of vehicles is the only one that has the 5000mi limit.

19. Right Lane Cruiser

Okay, I see where you are getting your numbers from now.

I'll need to look into revamping some of the math. Currently, '08 ratings are used with a combined rating that is adjusted upwards to match what the '07 rating would have given. In this case that upward adjusted number is 37.2mpg but the actual '07 combined is computed at 35.5mpg.

Current set points for '08 calc's look to be 120% (Skilled), 150% (Expert), and 180% (Elite). I'll see what I can do about getting the actuals more in line with the '07 numbers.

20. diamondlarry

I think I may have an explanation for what is causing your concern over the apparent % discrepancies. The EPA uses a ratio of 55% highway to 45% city(or is it the other way around?:eek:) to come up with the combined figure. Here at CleanMPG, the combined is arrived at with a straight 50%/50% ratio. I hope that helps.