M. Sirach reviews the Armrest King Insight Armrest for CleanMPG

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by msirach, Nov 10, 2007.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

A worthy add-on for the mighty Insight.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/DSCN2651.JPG[/xfloat]Mike Sirach - CleanMPG - Nov. 10, 2007

ARMREST KING carries a wide assortment of armrests for many common models of domestic and foreign automobiles. You will find armrests and center consoles for Mini Cooper, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Echo, Smart Fortwo, Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cobalt, Chevrolet Aveo, Suzuki SX4, Suzuki Swift, Pontiac Pursuit, Pontiac Wave, Peugeot 206, Renault Clio and many more.

Here is the Armrest King armrest installed in the Honda Insight. The price is $96 (US) including shipping.

KING carries a wide assortment of armrests for all common models of domestic and foreign cars. Their products carry European Quality DEKRA Certification: ISO 9001:2000

The long awaited Honda Insight armrest from ARMREST KING made it to Southern Illinois from Canada in only three days. It will be a welcome addition to the many Insight owners that have been searching for one now that the low quality Husco unit has been discontinued.

Packaging and Instructions

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Armrest King Insight armrest was well packed in a plastic bag with bubble packing around it. (Bubble wrap removed). Included was a sheet of directions and the necessary screws and caps for installation. The generic directions were applicable to several armrests but explained the installation well including pictures.

Installation

[​IMG][​IMG]
    It was necessary for me to secure the emergency brake housing better. The nylon screw inserts were stripped and would not tighten. I bought a couple license plate nylon inserts for a Ford that snapped into place perfectly. The #10 pan head screws fastened the housing securely.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The ABS molded base has an extrusion that fits into the notch in the top of the emergency brake housing. Setting it in place, it fit snuggly. The extrusion has slightly more than one inch of play within the recess it sits in. This allows position adjustment.

Finished Product

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I slid it all the way back and tested it by resting my elbow on it while operating the shifter. I installed the screws (without drilling a pilot hole), installed the screw caps, and the installation was complete. A beefy ABS hinge securely attaches the lid to the body.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Nicely finished carpeted interior complete completes the storage area. The soft and supple ecological leather covers the exterior of the box and padded lid. The whole armrest will pivot up as well to reveal a small void that could hold something small such as change.​

Quality feel and utility is outstanding while installation took all of 15 minutes. Best of all, a Phillips screwdriver was the only tool needed.

Some have commented that the price seems high. The $96 price includes shipping which was about $14 to me. I believe the Husco price was around $80 plus shipping and the quality was poor compared to this one. The color is black which does match the grey/black combo, but not the emergency brake cover it is attached to. He has said that a few grey ones might be available in a month or two for $10 to $15 dollars more. He does not have plans for tan. If you are interested in grey, email him to let him know you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: M. Sirach reviews the Armrest King Insight Armrest for CleanMPG.

Hi Mike:

___Nice write-up!

___I purchased a Husco for my Insight way back when and it was nothing by comparison to the Armrest King’s setup you installed. I know there are going to be some Echo and Yaris drivers interested in this rest for those vehicles as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I want one of these for my civic. I put it on my Christmas list, so maybe I'll have one by spring. Thanks for the review.

4. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Just purchased it with the hopes of being able to install my upcoming MIMA controls into it for ease of use... I'll rate it when it gets here :)

5. msirach

Great.

Notice the mod to the two mounting screws. I would HIGHLY recommend this, even if your screws are not stripped. The new mounts are more secure and the screw is larger than the original. It was only about a $1 at a hardware store. You could go ahead and complete this before you get the armrest.

I've got mine pulled in the garage today. I'm running behind. Wife stopped up the sink )and I've had to change a whole window out instead of a single sash. I hope to get started on it later.

6. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Just installed it today in like 10 minutes. Super easy install and great quality. I think I'll try and find some plastic/vinyl dye and dye the ebrake cover black to match the color. The construction inside was much better quality than I had anticipated so modding it to allow me to put my MIMA controls in will be more difficult that I had orginally intented... although thats not a bad thing ;) just speaks for the quality of the product.

The owner of the store was very nice and kept me up to date about the status of my order without me even having to ask about it.

I highly recomend this armrest!!

7. msirach

Blake:

Glad you like it! It took me longer than that to install it, but only because I was taking pictures and notes as I went.

I have used Krylon Fusion paint on wicker (plastic) patio furniture with good results. I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and a lint free cloth and it has withstood the elements of summer without loss of adhesion.

8. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

I used the same stuff when painting some of the plastic engine bay parts of the STi.... No not rice stuff ;) Just all the stuff that was yellow (engine oil fill, window washer fluid cap, etc) to STi red ;)

It looked good and lasted without the need to repaint the entire time I owned the car.

9. msirach

Had to run to WMT to get some stuff so I got a can of Krylon Fusion.

Black doesn't match perfect, but it definitely hasn't had time to cure!

[​IMG]

10. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

was that the hi-gloss version or the flat black version.

Not sure if flat or semi-gloss would work best.

11. msirach

It looked like gloss. It was the only black except a crinkle finish. Satin would be better I believe.

I'll see if it flattens out when it cures some. It had only been painted about 15 minutes when I took the pic.

12. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

AHHH the rattles. I've got another rattle in my car from where the upper part rubs the mounting plate. Nothing a small felt piece won't fix though ;)

13. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Picked up two cans of satin today.... I'll paint it sometime tomorrow at work when I get a chance. Did yours tone down any after it dried some?

14. msirach

Yes, about 50%. Did you get satin at a WMT SuperCenter?

15. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

:( busted.... I hate shopping at Walmart but I tried 3 different places that are along my normal commutes on my days off. No one had it available.... That trip today was actually the first time I've stepped foot in a Walmart in years.

16. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

Just finished painting and letting it dry... the satin is a perfect match. Thanks for the tip!

17. msirach

Great!!

Wish you were about 800 miles closer and I could use your can to repaint mine!

18. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Installed mine yesterday. It was VERY easy. Local Ford dealer gave me some of the license plate inserts but did not need them, the stock screws were holding the factory console quite well.
    Also, as noted above there's no need to the drill pilot holes specified in the instructions that come with it, and it's better NOT to. I drilled one and it stripped immediately even though I went several sizes smaller than the specified 3mm. So for the other three I just screwed them in, perfect!
    I'm very pleased with it; it simultaneously solves the no-armrest issue and improves the Insight's inadequate-interior-stowage-space situation.