Rebuilt the boattail

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by basjoos, Sep 27, 2007.

1. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

The boattail I built last fall on my 92 Civic was so effective, FE-wise, that I decided to make it a permanent addition to my car, replacing the Coroplast and clear vinyl boattail with one made of aluminum sheet and Lexan. I recycled most of the original aluminum bar framework in the new boattail and the new boatttail has the same proportions as the old one. I extended the car's cargo area into the boattail, so now with the back seats down, I have 6-1/2 feet of load floor (4-1/2" of cargo space behind the back seats when I'm carrying 4 people). I also installed a functioning hatch (the stock hatch was covered by the original boattail).

I had the Civic off the road for over a week while installing the mods, during which time I drove our Honda Odyssey and Ford F150. When I first took the modified Civic out for a drive after a week's worth of getting used to driving "normal" vehicles, I was impressed by how differently it drove than your typical vehicle. Most cars slow down fairly quickly when the power is cut, especially at highway speeds, but the aerocivic only very slowly loses speed when power is cut. It makes a normal car feel like driving around with the parking brake lightly engaged.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

This may sound silly, but the car looks beautiful, basjoos. I hope folks can take what you've gained through experimentation with aerodynamics and directly apply it to making vehicles slip through the air more efficiently.

3. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

I'm very impressed bas' !! Looks great !

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

All I can say is, "Wow!"

5. 2TonJellyBean

2TonJellyBean Well-Known Member

Excellent work... any idea what the net weight impact was?

I'll bet the Cd would be pretty good going backwards as well!

6. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

One word: WINGS

And btw, great work! :D I'd love to see a wind tunnel test on that beast one day.

7. basjoos

Probably not much change in weight from stock. I lost the steel tailgate and rear glass and gained some aluminum sheet/rod and Lexan sheet. The handling hasn't changed at all.

8. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

that looks really good, the biggest flaw with the old tail I saw was how it covered the hatch, and this one takes care of that!

(if I didnt love being able to park anywhere in my yaris I would consider doing something like that) I bet it was fun making to create

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

omg i want one! how much you think you spent on materials just making the body? aerodynamic sexy

10. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

VERY cool, Basjoos!! That's very professional looking -- I was just sitting here imagining the rest of the car looking that clean?? With a good paint job that would be AWESOME. :thumbs_up:

By the way, I'm still on board if you decide to start selling aero-modded cars!!!!

11. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Wow Basjoos, just Wow... that really looks good. My hat is off to you.

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'm impressed by the results and the effort.

I'm bad about not finishing projects, so kudos for getting it done!

13. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Good job. Much better than your old one. Now if you could find a way to integrate the rear wheel covers and still be able to change the tires, the back end would be perfect.

14. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

Excellent job! Well done. So now, whats next...

15. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow. That is fan-freakin'-tastic. Awesome job.

16. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

Super!!!!!

17. basjoos

The boattail upgrade cost about $200 in materials. Prior to this, all of my aero mods had costed $210.

18. basjoos

Convert the front skirts and nosepiece from coroplast to aluminum, then a new paint job.

19. Ruminator

Ruminator Ohio Fisherman

That is a great project car you've built.

I wonder if aerodynamically you would gain/lose by having the rear section formed down to a ground effects height above the ground rather than rising?

Overall net might be a loss with my idea due to added weight involved?

20. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

I think it would be a loss, but not because of added weight. One of the ideas on making aerodynamic vehicles is the smooth the flow of air transitioning in the back of the car. Making everything come to a point is what's commonly called the teardrop shape. Making it come to the ground would limit the ability of the car to effectively smooth the underbody flow with the air coming over the top.