Video of Exposed IMA/Battery Module assembly - Illustrated Breakdown of Components

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Having MIMA recently installed on my Insight, I took pictures/videos of the procedure. The picture is taken behind the car with hatchback up - top of picture just behind the seats. Note the spare tire under the IMA box. Cables delivering power are clearly marked orange.

This may be of interest to Civic owners, as the principals should be the same.

In regards to MIMA installation, most work was rewiring the harness running along the top of the picture from the MDM, right to the BCM and MCM units. The mods were to the connectors in the BCM and MCM boxes on top of the Battery Module.

Before coverning this assembly, I heard a lot of clanking of relays and the pair of fans, so I shot an 8MB video. It starts with a view from the driver's seat (need to freeze it to get a good look), then I quickly get out of the car and get a hatchback view just before the fans engage.

Hope you enjoy it!

[​IMG]
    • These three units and the fan in the left side of the picture together are known as the Power Control Unit or PCU:
      • MDM (Motor Drive Module) - Relays the power from the Battery Module in the back of the Insight to the IMA motor coupled with the 3-cylinder gas engine. Generates a lot of heat.
      • Heat Sink is immdiately to the right of the MDM and dissipates the heat buildup from the MDM. One of the two fans is at the end. In MIMA installations, a temperature probe activates the fan at 95F instead of 120F.
      • DC-DC Converter is to the right of the heat sink. Regulates Battery Module voltage (144) with conventional voltage (12).
    • The Junction board is really part of the Battery Module. Note the switch in the middle - absoultely must be cut off when work is done as the currents are lethal.
    • BCM (Battery Condition Module) - Computes how much power the Battery Module is able to deliver, or if depleted and in a recal state - how much charging is required to give it a full State of Charge (SoC).
    • MCM (Motor Control Module) - Regulates the Assist and regenitive braking.
    • Battery Module is under the BCM and MCM units with 120 NiMH D-Cell batteries - 20 sticks with six cells to a stick. A second fan pulls air from a hole about where the yellow x is located in the picture for cooling. Factory temperature probe cools at about 120F - MIMA customizations kick in at 95F.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Re: Video of Exposed IMA/Battery Module assembly - Illustrated Breakdown of Component

Very nice, hopefully I can get a peak at it next week.

Are there really 40 MIMAs in Texas, or are you MIMA #40, and the Lone Texas MIMA?

3. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Re: Video of Exposed IMA/Battery Module assembly - Illustrated Breakdown of Component

Thanks df, this is extremely useful.

Mike pointed out to me that the air to cool the battery comes from the passenger compartment (via the "X" in the picture). This means that it may be worth running the AC (or at least pulsing it) in extremely hot weather because it will cool not only you but the battery too.

I'm not sure if cabin air is used to cool the batteries in other hybrids (HCHII? Prii?) but it may be worth checking for the same reason.

4. Mike Dabrowski 2000

Mike Dabrowski 2000 Well-Known Member

Nice photo Chuck, similar to this one;

http://www.99mpg.com/mima/install/rearoverview.jpg,0

Only MIMA in Texas. The list of users as well as the remaining systems is at:
    http://www.99mpg.com/mima/people/

HCH,Insight, and Prius use cabin air for battery cooling.
    Not sure about the others, but suspect that they all do. Once the pack gets to the size of the Hybrid suvs, they seem to go with liquid cooling, which should not need a cool cabin.

The need for AC just makes the decision as to how to go down the hills that much more difficult. In order of MPG
    Most MPG: FAS, will not charge the batteries, or run the AC?
    Less MPG: regen in gear will charge the batteries, loose some momentum and allow AC use
    Less again: Forced down hill regen with AC on full, and a bit of throttle say 100MPG.

I would also advise that all MIMA users in hot climates put an indoor outdoor thermometer in the car, with the outdoor probe in the battery pack.
    When the pack starts getting up to 115 or higher, you need to lay off the assist, and cool the cabin/ pack cooling air.
    ;)

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Need to stress this thread is more about what I've learned - not what I'm an expert at. The installation process, www.99mpg.com, various discussions are my knowledge base.

Argueably my MIMA Insight is driven in the hottest climate, so I installed a $10 therometer to have an idea of the temperature. After the fact, Randall pointed out the foam sticky is going to insulate the temperature probe from the battery...so far it seems to be off 5F too low, but this is much better than no idea at all.

Again, I'd like to encourage the viewing of the 8MB video - really appreciate the complexity of the IMA components at work. You will want to pause the start as it's just a split second of the IMA box from the driver's seat, then fast forward about two seconds to see from the hatchback before the fans start up.

Dan, by Wednesday evening I should know for sure if I can come for the meeting. If so, I may take my socket set and arrive early enough I can uncover the back for the view illustrated in the picture.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Just checked on Mike's list - it's currently at 48. I'd like to compile MIMA users by location, but already I notice drivers from Canada, UK, Australia - seems most of the rest are New England or Great Lakes areas.

7. Mike Dabrowski 2000

Most are from the west coast, especially Ca.
    If I had a way to put up the MIMA install Video I would do it, but it is 1:45 min and over 1.6GB
    If anyone is contemplating getting MIMA, but wants to see whats involved, just send me an e-mail, and I can send you the video.
    It includes:
    full install by Ed Zandee
    final voltage test
    setting options and calibration of joysticks
    driving with MIMA
    PIMA at low speeds >100MPG
    PIMA at highway speeds > 100MPG

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

Mike,
    Am I the only MIMA user in Wisconsin?

Any chance of showing the state where the users reside on your user list?
    It'd be fine with me, but I suppose others may bristle at it?

9. Mike Dabrowski 2000

Eric,
    Tubes Guy is from Madison
    Ken is from WI.
    States:
    http://www.99mpg.com/mima/people/
    The K stands for Kit version where they build the MIMA controller board from parts.

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

MIMA Break Down by Location
    California: 11
    Conneticut 4
    New York: 3
    Illinois: 3
    Indiana: 3
    Massachusetts: 2
    United Kingdom: 2
    Michigan: 2
    Oregon: 2
    Florida: 2
    Wisconsin: 2
    Australia: 1
    Canada: 1
    Idaho: 1
    Kentucky: 1
    Nevada: 1
    Ohio: 1
    Oklahoma: 1
    Pennsylvania: 1
    Rhode Island: 1
    South Carolina: 1
    Texas: 1
    Virginia: 1
    Washington: 1

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. BlueBulletIP

BlueBulletIP Active Member

MIMA #37 here, Ken Keuler from Milwaukee WI area. Did my own install just after HF2007, so have been using it for a little over a month. Mike's video would have helped me on the install, but I got it from him just after I did it. Took some time but I don't commute every day, so had plenty of time to enjoy the install. Had 2 people check my work to be sure, and the success the first time gave me great satisfaction. There were a few calls to Mike and he was always available when I needed him. I would be happy to assist anyone else in my area with installation.

I'm amazed at the versatility of MIMA. It will take a long time to explore all the possibilities and combinations of things to do. For me the best feature is much more control of assist and regen. What really makes me grin is watching the MPG increase as I climb a hill and maintain same speed! The other huge advantage is being able to regen at will or not regen. Highly recommend this thing called MIMA.

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

FE Temporaily Down

Trip B is never reset so I know my FE the last 2000 miles. Lately it's been at 70.7mpg, but due to my MIMA battery managment (actually lack of...) it's now 70.0mpg. :eek: I know it will get better, but I'm still doing stuff like going out the alley almost in EV mode, then watching FE tank while I regen.

13. Mike Dabrowski 2000

Chuck,
    Sounds like a clear case of the leadfinger syndrome.
    Only as much assist as necessary when it does the most good, and a dribble of the charge back in will be the cure, but like most people, it is almost too much fun to press the joystick and feel the electric turbo kick in.
    ;)

14. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I've got a learning curve ahead.

I'm probably looking too much at the factory Charge on the dash and not enough on the MIMA display on top of the steering column - need to work on the dribble charge.

First work commute with MIMA - 86mpg...I'm going to say it's about what I'd done without MIMA, meaning plenty of room for improvement when this becomes second nature.

15. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

There are about 100 MIMA users now.