VW Chief Touts Diesels Over Hybrids

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by tigerhonaker, Feb 20, 2006.

1. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

VW Chief Touts Diesels Over Hybrids
    Sourced From: Detroit News, January 7, 2005; Detroit Free Press, January 6, 2005.
    Bernd Pischetsrieder:

His Comments Were:

"Any significant reduction of fuel consumption under all conditions requires diesel technology. Volkswagen is uniquely positioned to lead in this area." -- Bernd Pischetsrieder, CEO, Volkswagen AG

"On the highway, [hybrids] use substantially more fuel than modern diesels, and they cost more to produce." -- Pischetsrieder

Read the Rest of the Article in Link below:
    http://www.automotivedigest.com/view_art.asp?articlesID=14606

Terry

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Again. This guy has his head in the sand. You CAN have a hybrid diesel. BTW, VW How about making a reliable car? Sure the engine lasts for ever but the rest of your cars fall apart.

3. tigerhonaker

Tom;
    Thats why I don't have a TDI Bettle W/DSG Trans. This is not just my opinion believe me. The dealers are pitiful and there is No-Support from VW on their Vehicles. Very unreliable. True statements coming from members of the VW Forum that own VW's,

Terry

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Guys:

___I cannot vouch for VW’s reliability but the TDI’s do receive decent FE out on the highway in particular … They will never touch the HCH-I, II, and Prius II’s when driven for maximum FE on the highway but they can come very close and in some cases, allow a TDI owner even higher FE while not paying attention to his or her driving habits. Let’s hope we can add a review or two of a Jetta or New Beetle TDI before they disappear in late 06 only to return again in 08/09 … hopefully?

___Good Luck

___Wayne​

5. tigerhonaker

xcel;

I can tell you that the TDI's W/DSG Trans. do get FE and you just put them in gear and away you go. They are really fun to drive. Tremendous Torque from a small ICE W/Turbo. They really work, I have driven quite a few of them and last year was suppose to purchase the TDI Beetle w/DSG Trans. I stopped the order after I got on the Forum for VW's and soon found out that the reliability of them is just (Horrible) and the Dealers are the same. The owners just love their vehicles and cannot say enought Positive things about driving them. They however tell all the problems with owning them and trying to get the VW Dealers to repair them in a Timely Manner. So I though, leave this alone and stick to a manufacture that is noted for the most part for Building Ultra-Reliable vehicles and Quality Service.
    (IMO) Go-Green, Go Hybrid, Honda HCH II.

Terry

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

7. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

We can now see that VW's problems come from the top. We know that VW is also exploring the Hybrid option, why is he putting it down ?

For me the real enemy are the off-road <10MPG vehicles that are never used off-road. I am fine with anyone trading his large SUV for a VW-TDI.

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Recently, a hybrid Hylander started to take up for them and rant into how judgemental I was....they have a right to spend their hard-earned money as they please....got on my case for doing a "Candid Camera" number on these types (shown here). Sorry, I see a bunch of guys on an ego trip anti-hypermiling - it is what it is. This member's reaction was so strong, it's looking like he identifies with them, even though he say he is not.

9. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

There have to be some limits to how we spend our "hard-earned" dollars or pesos. For one I don't want our governments to subsidized off-road vehicles [with my hard-earned dollars] unless they are used for their intended purpose.

The problem is that in North America "bigger is better". We also change the terms to hide reality. A truck becomes a "Sports" vehicle and can be used to buy groceries, a fat person becomes a "big" person and it's better to be big.

In some countries in Africa and Latin America is cheaper to buy an off-road vehicle than a sedan because of reduced taxes and duty, then you see people driving big trucks in the cities to get to their offices.

High oil prices is not going to be enough to stop this madness...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I know ridicule like that on my webpage generally offends your target - just look at the Prophet Mohammed Cartoon backlash. To a degree it was frustration. The point I hope people will take is: "Do I want to be part of a safety and envirnomental problem will acting like an egomanic?". I'd be most people would not dare strut like that face-to-face. I wish the day comes when the general public attitude made it embarassing to drive these things, except for the few that honestly use them. Instead, Wal-Mart is selling radio-controled H2s and CVTs. :(

11. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

Here is a controversial point (and with little basis):

Asia and North America are in the path to large gas-guzzlers.

Europe and Latin America are more in the path to small efficient vehicles.

Why ? In Asia and North America the most popular movies and TV series involve violence. The hero has to drive a large vehicle.

In Europe and Latin America sex is the favourite theme, mainly "girly" movies with a hero that drives a small / fuel efficient diesel vehicle.

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

You might have a point.

13. tigerhonaker

Very interesting. Have not heard any of those thoughts before.

Terry

14. xcel

Hi All:

___Although there are reliability problems, the VW TDI’s in particular are real world high FE automobiles for the masses after the CRX’s and Geo Metro’s of yesteryear disappeared … They were around before any of us even knew what a Hybrid was in fact and even when looking all the way back to good ole Rudolph, the Porsche hybrid was a few decades behind the diesel … I am talking way way back ;)

___Katz, I think it has more to do with local fuel prices then being the biggest and baddest on the block myself? Interesting idea though … Hmmm, makes xcel think about that idea for a future article :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Isn't S. American pump prices very low?

16. xcel

Hi Delta_Flyer:

___In Venezuela, they are extremely low in fact. But the annual income is so low as to make it expensive even at $0.14/gallon :(

Gas prices around the world

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

I have recently read that money is the best motivator, but I think society and our place in it is a bigger motivator. A lot of the time our only contact with society is by watching TV and that becomes a motivator.
    If you want to sell a product the best way is not to make it the cheapest, it is to make it popular (TV adds).

When I watch 24 (one of my favourite shows), I see the tough guy Jack Bauer getting into a black SUV and I feel like going to the nearest Ford Dealership and buying their largest and darkest SUV.

Recently I saw a movie I liked: "In her shoes" with Cameron Diaz and Shirley Mclaine. The good guy drove a Prius and I felt that maybe I should have ordered a Prius instead of a HCH.

Why do Dell, Apple, Coke and others pay so much to see their product appear on movies and TV series ???

18. tigerhonaker

Hey;

Why do Dell, Apple, Coke and others pay so much to see their product appear on movies and TV series ???[/QUOTE]

I have the answer. Ready? Because it Moves Their Product: :rolleyes:

Terry