Do Yo Think Standard Transmissions Will Go Away?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Standard transmissions made a little comeback in the 1970s when gas prices rose. Wonder if they will make a comeback. Of course, HSD hybrids use the CVT transmission.

I think standard transmissions will still be useful for a while longer. Sort of suspect they will become an oddity. :(

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I think MT will stay around. People like control.

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

If I can't have a 5 or 6 speed MT I want a manual CVT. That would be a pretty decent trade off IMO, and one would think it would not be terribly difficult to do.

4. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

My 2-Cents;

The CVT Transmissions are going to be in along with the vehicles computer controlling more and more to increase FE. My 2-Cents: :)

5. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

MT's are good as dead. Folks dont want to drive anymore. They want to talk on cell phones, play with there lappys, nav's and palm pilots.

6. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Psyshack;

I don't always agree with you on this one. Way to much traffic to be worrying about shifting gears anymore.

Not to mention that the New Cvt Tans. with the computer does a great job even without our assistance.

7. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I would agree that traffic is a problem. But why live in a area that mandates one to be packed in a area like little fish in a tin? I was offered jobs while in Phx. at four times my current salary. I refused all offers. To put up with red light runners, traffic jams, and mexicans that run out infront of cars like deer. And theres more mexicans than deer. :) is not worth me driving a auto or cvt.

We took the Accord into work today. What a snore. Wife likes it. I wish we had never bought it. And I doubt a cvt would make it any better. Starch in my underware is more fun than driving a auto.

The world dosent see it like I do. Most folks want a auto and will take a cvt. And they will live in hugh congested metro's where a auto just becomes another tool in a life that has gotten more and more fast pace upbeat. And all those great time saving things that dont work.

I made my 3 girls learn to drive on a MT. I made them pass there drivers test with MT's. I also made them prove to me they could change a tire on a gravel road at night. I also taught them what oil filters looked like, drain plugs, coolent, air filters. On and on. I made them do maint on cars with me. Taught them things so they wouldnt get burned at service dept's.

I think the MT is dead. I think there dead because at the root folks are lazy and unskilled in the art of driving.

As I set here and ramble its apprent my back hurts and when I move my left leg my groning burns and my right ankle is hurting. Think its colapsing. Joy Joy. But I will not drive that utterly boring Asian Impala to work in the AM. I will drive my 5MT Civic and enjoy myself. :)

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Sadly, I agree standard transmissions are an endangered species. Too many people that do stuff like eat or phone while driving.

I find it hard to believe that fluid automatics will ever match standard transmissions. To illustrate the point, I remember my Dad adding a transmission cooler for the trailer - it's like adding another radiator to deal with the additional heat.

A not so obvious point: standard transmissions are a hardship for the disabled and elderly. With the baby boomers aging and more diabetics, they will favor automatics.

9. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

endangered, yes, but like the spotted owl, protected. Protected by the niche of drivers who demand them. Unfortunately they will exist only in sports cars, offshore-bought, and in commercial trucks (even trucks are questionable). They will become largely extinct for most vehicles (already have- you can't get stick for the V6 version of lots of cars, only the lower end trims)

10. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

Psyshack, This is a sad and unnecessary comment. I believe people from Mexico deserve more respect. The thread is about MT ...

11. Geek Gal

Geek Gal Active Member

I'm 32 and never learned to drive a manual transmission. My brother, 3 years my junior, tried and hated it (if I'd had his car, I'd probably have learned -- it was a VW bug; he sold it to drive a tank Chrysler Cordoba, which saved his life in a bad accident.)

My dad, in a throwback to his youth, bought his 2005 Ford Mustang GT with a manual transmission, but disliked/dislikes how much the vehicle is tuned to "protect" itself. He's bought a chip that makes it shift a little more like manual's of old, but he still says it's not the same as his ol' manual transmission vehicles. Loves the car, but wishes all the control was left with the driver, and I don't blame him as that's the point (a major one, anyway) of MT, isn't it? :)

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I could make some ethnic stereotypes, but there is a wide diversity of bad driving out there - can't single anybody out. :(

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Programmers and Standard Shifters Like Control

Good programmers tend to like the older languages even if they are harder. Reason is it's closer to the computer's machine language - more power - less overhead. The same applies to standard transmissions.

14. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

I beg all of you to remember that while the standard transmission is loosing popularity in the US, the vast majority of the rest of the world still pushes levers to get where they are going. I think that as the stickshift may fall by the wayside as a popular consumer choice, enthusiasts and car buffs alike will always keep the technology around.

Remember, its been over 60 years since the automatic transmission was introduced, and you haven't seen the manual disappear yet!

15. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Actually what's ironic is that sports cars are among the first of the MT holdouts to abandon the manual transmissions! I don't think you can buy a MT Aston Martin at all anymore, Ferrari is supposedly moving 80% of their cars with the "F1" style automated manual, and DSG is the only transmission in the Veyron and may replace the manual in Porsche's sports cars as well. Personally, I suspect the MT will vanish from sports cars before it vanishes from economy cars.