Mazda3 starting engine after FAS

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by igor2, Aug 20, 2007.

1. igor2

igor2 Active Member

Hey all - is there a way to start the Mazda3 engine after I FAS at a red light? I do not FAS at speed - I do NICE-ON Glide - however I do FAS when coming to a stop. I feel, however, that I am straining the starter when I keep re-starting the engine - is there a way to start the engine without the starter?

I keep hearing about bump-starting .. what is it?

any other options?

Thanks

Igor

PS: I just added my first tank (half of which me and my better half tried mild hypermiling and we got about 26mpg on mostly city driving - so not bad .. The new tank is being sipped at very nice (low) rate .. I drove for the first 50 miles and probably got around 30mpg .. just on NICE-ON gliding, DWL and DWB. (plus overinflated tires). Not bad .. we'll see whether we can get better.

2. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

I like this question: is there a way to start the engine without the starter?

:)

Unfortunately, if you've come to a full stop, there is no way to start the engine in your Mz3 without the starter. When the car is properly warmed up and running at NOT, a quick ignition will not strain the starter. Only on cold starts is ignition particularly hard on the vehicle.

Bump-starting is done at speed. In short, you are coasting engine-off at 45 MPH in neutral. You key on to the "On" position, clutch in, shift into 5th gear, and clutch out slowly. Once the clutch (connected to the wheels) spins up the engine (through the flywheel) the engine will ignite.

3. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

For what its worth, I bump start in third gear coming up to stop signs at about 5' - 8' from the stop line, while on the brakes, a quick clutch up clutch down shift to first finish the stop release brakes and clutch and go: 95% of the time, passengers (or me) can't even feel it. It ends up with maybe 1-3 seconds of engine running before actually in acceleration. It definitely takes practice to figure out your lowest bump start speed thats not hard on the drive train: I can bump start in 2nd if I HAVE TO at virtually a walking pace ( ie same speed as Wayne pushing a pickup truck uphill :D )

4. igor2

igor2 Active Member

Thanks for the responses

I have anoter question - I loked through the manual - and nowhere it specifies the grade of gear oil to use - does anyone know?

I saw that psyhack uses 75w-80 - is that to spec, or different? I have a new engine in my 3 year old baby - and I have 50k more miles of powertrain warranty - so I want to keep everything up-to-snuff - just in case . .:D

Thanks

Igor

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  5. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

igor2

The spec is in my manual.

qLubricant Quality
    Lubricant Classification
    Engine Refer to the recommended SAE viscosity numbers on page 8-18.
    Manual transaxle oil
    Without turbocharger
    Any temperature
    API Service GL-4 or GL-5
    SAE 75W-90
    Above 10°C
    API Service GL-4 or GL-5
    SAE 80W-90
    With turbocharger
    API Service GL-4
    SAE 75W-90
    Automatic transaxle fluid ATF M-V
    Power steering fluid ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron® III)
    Brake/Clutch fluid SAE J1703 or FMVSS116 DOT-3
    qCapacities
    (Approximate Quantities)
    Item Capacity
    Engine oil
    Without turbocharger
    With oil filter
    replacement
    4.3 L (4.5 US qt, 3.8 Imp qt)
    Without oil filter
    replacement
    3.9 L (4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt)
    With turbocharger
    With oil filter
    replacement
    5.7 L (6.0 US qt, 5.0 Imp qt)
    Without oil filter
    replacement
    5.3 L (5.6 US qt, 4.7 Imp qt)
    Coolant 7.5 L (7.9 US qt, 6.6 Imp qt)
    Manual transaxle oil
    Without turbocharger 2.87 L (3.03 US qt, 2.53 Imp qt)
    With turbocharger 2.5 L (2.6 US qt, 2.2 Imp qt)
    Automatic transaxle fluid
    4-speed transaxle 7.2 L (7.6 US qt, 6.3 Imp qt)
    5-speed transaxle 8.14 L (8.60 US qt, 7.16 Imp qt)
    Fuel tank
    55.0 L
    (14.5 US gal, 12.1 Imp gal)
    Check oil and fluid levels with dipsticks or reservoir gauges.
    Specifications
    10-

Kind of jacked up. But those are the basic specs for my car right off the mazda owners link.