Tips required for a Mercury Sable V6

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by vam_jammu, Aug 16, 2007.

1. vam_jammu

vam_jammu New Member

Hi Guys,
    I am new to this site and i could use a whole bunch of advise and tips. I own a mercury sable V6 Sedan. 2001 year make. Right now i currently average about 20-22 MPG, Is there anyways i could boost up the MPG. Please advise.

Keep up the good work.

Please feel free to email me the same at vam_jammu@yahoo.com

Thanks a Lot !!

2. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Hey there - good to have you with us vam jammu!

I drove a 1999 Ford Taurus for a few years and managed to pull 29-30 MPG with 100% city. 34-35 MPG with 100% highway.

Do you have the Vulcan or Duratec engine? The Duratec is harder to pull up your MPG numbers in, but not impossible.

I recommend going to max sidewall on your tires, keeping your RPMs under 1800, FASing at any and all opportunities (3.0L engines idle a lot of fuel) and keeping the speed at or under 60 MPH.

Also, check out this thread for more details on hypermiling.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to your results! :D

3. vam_jammu

vam_jammu New Member

Hi John thank you very much, really appreciated. Yes mine is a DOHC 24 valve engine with a 4 speed automatic, i guess its nothing different from your ford taurus. Thanks will try to look in to the arictle which u said was worth reading, but i am really naive .. i dont understand the terms like max, sidewall ? is that a tire brand .. i am jsut stupid around here.

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Naah, it's got nothing to do with stupid. We use a lot of terminology that reads like gibberish to a newcomer. We try to to better but be like our acronyms. ;)

Max sidewall refers to the maximum rated pressure listed on the side of your tires. It's probably 35 or 44psi, occasionally you will see 51psi. The vast majority of us use higher tire pressures than the manufacturers recommend (usually in the high 20s or low 30s) because 1) it has a measurable impact on fuel economy and 2) tread wear and performance are often better at higher pressures. The trade-off is that you may feel the bumps a bit more. Start by making sure your tire pressure is at least at the car's recommended level and start increasing it from there.

The articles section should be a good place for you to start. I strongly suggest that you begin with only the most basic techniques (like driving the speed limit) and move on to the more complicated stuff very gradually. It will all become second nature in time but you definitely don't want to overload at first! And ask lots of questions, no matter how basic they may seem to you. Nobody will get on your case for it.

5. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Sounds like you have the Duratec version - my Taurus had the 16v Vulcan engine. You have more power, and now you need to use it appropriately. Keep your RPMs low and coast as much as possible. However, I'm not sure if coasting in neutral with the engine on will work for your vehicle. In my Taurus, the engine would rev wildly if you put it in neutral as it was trying to maintain an idle speed appropriate for that gear at that speed. Try it and see.

Good luck, and keep the questions coming!

6. Kermit

Kermit Active Member

I have a Duratec Taurus as well, I don't seem to have any idle issues when I shift to neutral. It has a non-stock program though, I just changed it back to stock Friday and haven't driven it yet. My hopes are that it will get into 4th gear sooner. It currently needs pushed up to 38mph to get it to drop to 4th gear and have the RPMs drop. My first tank with hypermiling was 26.7 MPG and my second tank was 23 MPG, I think the difference has a lot to do with the weather, so don't get discouraged. Good Luck!