Spreading the bug

Discussion in 'General' started by brick, Apr 22, 2006.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

My own madness seems to be spreading like a quiet disease. My girlfriend had a personal best segment on a 200+ mile highway trip in the XC70 yesterday of 30.1mpg indicated. (The fact that she checks these things when I'm not even there impresses me.) She promptly showed her mother, who now wants to know how to do it herself! :D She drives A LOT and would really benefit from extra fuel economy. Here's the icing on the cake: her daily driver is a Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel. It's heavy but it ought to be hypermiling gold with that engine, especially on the highway.

This is great!

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Brick,

Way to go - getting others to drive like it might run out! :)

3. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Brick;

Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel; I owned one of them. It is a really nice car.:D

BTW, That car does get MPG on the road.:)

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brick:

___Thank you for spreading the news!

___Imho, hypermiling is just the next step with far more Fuel Efficient automobiles/EV’s to kick us off our insatiable Crude habit …

___I made a post about your last tank over at DriveAccord this morning. I hope it wakes some people up over there too!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Cool :cool: I didn't even know about DriveAccord until now so I went and checked them out. Not a bad site!

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

i'm trying to convince standshift.com people but those guys are tough. As well real life friends but they are discouarged because the knowledge i give to them is limited.

7. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

You've got me, Phil! The rest of them, well, we've got to work on it. I posted a rather extended rant on the various ways to maximize your MPG sans hybrid technology, and that got some fanfare. Maybe if someone can dig it up . . . :p

My folks are pretty much on board. My mother is the most fun; as she isn't a big car buff, I told her the basics: coast if you have a red light/stop sign/etc., no jackrabbit starts, less A/C (<-- a hard one!), and keep it under 2000 RPMs (V6 Mercury Villager). So far, she's increased the MPGs on that thing from 20-21 to about 24-25. That's mostly city. Not bad, eh? :D

8. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

i find its hard to imrpress people with Liters per 100 km or miles per gallons so now I just say I get x amount of km's a tank. And then people start asking me questions in which I answer to the best of my ability. Thanks to the knowledage of Cleanmpg I have learned a lot and now my fellow peers at school wishes to learn too! So I'm hoping to print a few articles at Cleanmpg and giving it to my teacher since she is heavily interested in the subject.

9. Katz6768

Katz6768 Active Member

My wife had her '06 HCH for a month now. I am still driving the 325xi BMW, but I'll be replacing it with another HCH in a couple of weeks. Our new measurement when people ask is $/km.

Last tank with the HCH was 5 cents per km, for the BMW it was 11.7 cents per km..

We spent c$ 5,400 in gas last year, with the new cars we will save at least c$ 2,500. The HCH costs half of what a new BMW 3 series would cost... I have been getting a new one every time the lease ends... not anymore.

I have improved my MPG in the BMW between 15% to 20% over the last 4 months thanks to GH and this group, but is not enough. We're going hybrid and there is no coming back!

10. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Hi;

I was just now getting around to catching up on reading here on CleanMPG. I just finished your Post and wanted to take a minute and say, Congrats. :)

Sounds like you have a Plan and will be working it. More dollars in your Family's pocket.

Nice Post.:D