SAN DIEGO -Long Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by billy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. billy

billy Well-Known Member

Anyone near San Diego is welcome to come and say "hi" this Sunday, (4-23)all day. I was invited to display my 2005 Insight at EarthFair 2006 in Balboa Park. Lots of fuel-efficient cars will be there.

I am leaving today at noon PDT; mostly driving on I-84 and I-15, passing Yakima, Pendleton, Baker, Boise, Twin Falls, Odgen, SLC, Cedar City, Mesquite, Las Vegas, Barstow, Ontario, Temecula, Poway, SD. Total 1370 miles. I hope to average 91 mpg. The temps are forecast to be fairly warm, but there may be some headwinds lurking.........darn. On this type of trip, (hypermiling) you just LONG for tailwinds.

I plan to employ FAS, limited or no IMA assist, and steady moderate speeds to maximize FE. Tires are at 52 lbs, I left the passenger seat home to save 34 lbs, and the car is absolutely clean and highly polished. On board I have GPS, ScanGauge, police & aircraft scanner, high-end stereo system, video camera replacing outside mirrors, 3 tuna sandwiches, fresh fruit, and a bag of those pink iced animal cookies! Should be a fun drive..............

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow billy i cringe knowing i had a chance to drive your areodynamic beauty. What kind of GPS you have? Why a police and aircraft scanner if your going to be within speed limits all the time lol? What kind of music are you going to listen to on your long trip? And why Tuna? Tuna goes bad easily! Cookies? Why not fruit hehe.

GOod luck! triple digits plz.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I spoke with Bill this morning while he was out on the road. His first 525 miles were completed at 100.3 mpg! The next 400 were into a headwind as he was traveling through parts of Utah and even though his tank lmpg has dropped below 100 (current 94.x), he believes the winds will taper off somewhat this afternoon and hopes to arrive at the car show somewhere around 97 - 98 mpg’s on his Insight’s FCD. He is traveling between 52 and 60 mph while maintaining that insanely high average ;) That alone is a huge accomplishment!

___Bill, Good Luck and may that head wind become a tail wind as you near the California border.

___Wayne