High mile Prius - “Ride of the week” – August 1, 2007.

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by xcel, Aug 2, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Highest mileage Prius in the world and still going strong!

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/546/Jesse_s_2002_Prius-I_-_Road_to_Mt_Evans_CO.jpg [/xfloat]Jesse Rudavsky - CleanMPG.com - August 1, 2007

Jesse’s 2002 Prius-I with over 309,000 accumulated miles to date sits on the side of the road to Mt. Evans, CO. back in the summer of 2005.

Hello everyone. My name is Jesse Rudavsky. I am from Hingham MA. I would like to share some of my experiences with my 2002 Toyota Prius I have been driving for the last 3.5 years.

When I was 18, I purchased a 2000 5-speed Honda Insight in November of 2002. I bought that car for a ridiculously low price of $12,500 off a used car lot with only 13k miles. Heck They even threw in the $800 CD changer for free! Gas was under a buck 50 back then and people were not interested in a 2 seater that would only do 113 mph even though it would get 70mpg plus ;) The car had been sitting on that lot for nearly 6 months and the guy wanted it to disappear. Anyway, the Insight was a great car for me and I drove it trouble-free until 71,000 miles when I saw another deal I could not refuse.

I found my current 2002 Prius-I online listed for $10,000 with 84,000 miles. Gas was a buck 70 on that fateful day. 3/11/04 to be exact. At $3,200 below book value, I decided it was time for a change and snatched it up. Many of my friends thought I was crazy to take a "gamble" on a used hybrid with that many miles. Nearly 3.5 years and 224,000 miles of my own later, my Prius is still running strong with her accumulated 309,000 miles and counting. I recently drove out to Wisconsin for Hybridfest 2007 and down to Alabama afterwards to visit friends. Her fuel economy is still as good as day one. I am not much of a hypermiler but have pushed the car up to 100 mph for a few seconds in rural Mississippi and she didn’t even flinch.

I have taken my car everywhere including 8 separate trips to Florida, several trips out West and even to Alaska and back in the summer of 2005. She has also conquered Mt. Washington and Mt. Evans in Colorado at 14,258 ft. last summer. She has also experienced 117 degree heat while running MAX A/C at 80 plus mph cruising though the southern California desert last summer. The car did not overheat and I was kept very comfortable ;)

As new or used automobiles go, I highly recommend hybrids of all types and especially the Prius to everyone. In the late fall of 2004, my father joined the club and purchased a 2005 HCH-I with a CVT. He is very happy with his car 55,000 miles later as well!

Jesse

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  2. noflash

noflash Senior Member

Re: “Ride of the week” – August 1, 2007.

You're my hero.

3. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

amazing :woot:

4. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

...and it still gets over 75 mpg. ;-)

Way to go, Jesse

5. BlueBulletIP

BlueBulletIP Active Member

More proof that today's hybrids will last as long or longer than other vehicles, given the same care. Hat's off to you, Jesse. There's a 2002 Prius for sale near my house that I plan to look at and drive tomorrow. Only 91K miles. Just wish I could afford to add a 3rd hybrid to the family.

6. xcel

Hi All:

___Jesse gave me a ring earlier in the day and was asking questions about FAS’ing the Prius-I and other hypermiling details so as to take his ride up a notch. The story most would be interested in however was that he was over 70 mpg in a drive around town this morning and he has never seen south of 55 previously! That young man learns fast :D

___Nice job Jesse!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. xcel

Hi All:

___Just a quick post. Jesse sent me this pic the other day. I think it describes all that needs to be discussed :)

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That is just awesome. Talk about getting your money's worth out of a vehicle!!! Especially since he has just started pulling even higher numbers out of it. I know that definitely improved the (perceived to me anyway) value of my Elantra! :D

9. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

I talked to Jesse for quite a while the other day too; it
    turned into a semi-interview just because I was curious as
    to *why* he'd racked up that many miles. He's got quite
    the story to tell, much of it involving Canada [yes, with
    the occasional moose]. I'm going to try to get Altwheels
    to waive the exhibitor charge for him just because his story
    is so unique... he says he's been there before, but I think
    emphasizing over 300K [andrew grant, eat yer heart out] in a
    large public forum would be cool.
    If I can make time, I'm going to help him change his tranny
    fluid, too, which has apparently NEVER been done.
    _H*

10. xcel

Hi Al:

___Make sure he goes after that ancient brake fluid while you are at it too ;)

___Once he learns to be a little more gentle with his own little beauty in terms of its FE and another 190K shows up on the ticker, I think Toyota should send him a Prius-III free of charge :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

11. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

Hello , Jesse here from Hingham MA again. Just came back from a trip to Florida. The car now has 316,000 miles and is still going strong. Just changed the cabin air filter for the first time before the trip and the AC is so much better. Kept up well in South Carolina at 102 fahrenheit at 80mph. The car hit 100mph for a few seconds in Georgia here and there and did not seem to be phased at all. Fuel economy was about 45-50mpg going with the traffic. Also, My father has a 2005 HCH with infinate ratio. We are at 56,000 miles and so far so good until recently it seems like the tranny is slipping a bit. We are taking the car in to Honda later this week to have the fluid changed again. Wayne says this should solve the problem. Has anyone experienced this before and if so at what mileage on the car? Photos coming a bit later.

Jesse

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hey, great to hear from you, Jesse!! Been driving through my old neck of the woods, have you? ;)

I'm really impressed with your vehicle's ability to keep up -- and with such good numbers at that mileage, too!!!

13. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

Go Jesse Go!

Belts, boots, struts, tie rod ends, HV battery internal resistance - so many questions!

:Banane35:

I lift a glass of Tsingtao in your general direction.

DAS

14. xcel

Hi Jesse:

___Hobbit made you famous in the YaHoo PTS group last night :D

___Now expect a tranny fluid swap to the good stuff (Type WS) and a UOA on her old tranny fluid (I am not sure if it can be called “fluid” anymore ;)) and Hobbit will do the honors.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. xcel

Hi Jesse:

___It took me a while but I found the long term (160,000 Mile) HCH-I, Prius-I and Insight field tests and failures we talked about last night …

HCH-I

VIN 0815
    Major Events: None

VIN 1603
    Major Events:
    CVT transmission failed @ 99,102 miles - Cost: $2,500
    Catalytic converter failed @ 100,715 miles - Cost: $1,164
    Transmission failed@ 157,209 miles - Cost: $2,438

VIN 1622

VIN 3864
    Major Events:
    CVT transmission failed @ 96,802 miles - Cost: $2,500
    Catalytic converter failed @ 97,750 miles - Cost: $1,124
    Motor mount front and driver side replaced@140,343 - Cost: $400

The two CVT failures occurred at the same Bank One’s Courier Pool and suspiciously at 96 and 99K miles respectively. The two other HCH-I’s were operated by ATA employee(s) out of Phoenix, AZ. and no major events were recorded?

Prius-I

VIN 1883
    Major Events:
    Overheated due to high external temperature@ 87,138 miles - Cost: none
    Rack and pinion failed @ 106,153 miles - Cost: Under Warranty
    Ignition lock immobilizer and keys replaced@ 126,689 - Cost: $469

VIN 2105

VIN 4279

VIN 5828

VIN 8836
    Major Events:
    Rack and pinion replaced @ 25,000 and again @32,000 miles - Cost: under warranty

VIN 8976
    Major Events:
    Rear hub and bearing replaced @ 40,000 Miles - Cost: $321
    ECM replaced @ 127,430 - Cost: $1,218
    Power Steering ECM replaced @ 145,594 - Cost: $699
    Water pump replaced @ 145,602 - Cost: $461

Honda Insight

VIN 2163
    Major Events:
    Replaced CVT transmission @ 89,230 - Cost: $3,000 (est. price)

VIN 2465

VIN 2487
    Major Events:
    Inner fender liner loose, hitting bumper - Cost: under warranty

VIN 2688
    Major Events:
    Replaced CVT transmission and fuel injectors@ 77,054 miles - Cost: $3,500 (est. price)
    Replaced front wheel bearings @ 86,290miles - Cost: $420 (est. price)
    Need new transmission, throttle position Sensor, front lower control arms, brake @145,902 miles - Est. Cost: $4,500

VIN 2720

VIN 3672
    Major Events:
    Hit parking bumper and tore front air dam - Cost: $1,992
    (not included in maint. cost) battery pack and controller (under warranty)

___Again, damaged CVT’s on the first and fourth Insight at 89K and 77K miles respectively occurred from the same Bank One courier pool. Someone doing Neutral drops?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. 300kmileprius

Hello everyone, Jesse here again. Planetary gearset fluid was changed for the first time today. 316,700 miles and counting. Thankyou Hobbit.

17. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow im totally impressed that you ran on the original PSD fluid for that many miles, espically with your long road trips and such, holy crap your my hero and i hope my NHW20 last as long as yours!!!

18. 300kmileprius

Hello, again, Jesse here. Now at 318k. Still running strong. Same batteries.

19. 300kmileprius

Going to hit 320k today or tomorrow. Still running strong. Same batteries.

20. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

What has been your avg MPG over 300,000 miles?