Traffic Filled Commute

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Kevin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I am new here and have just been reading the forums getting some idea, but was wondering if anyone could help me out. I live in Chicago and commute 20 miles to work. 2 miles on a normal rode 18 on the highway. This 20 mile drive normally takes an hour, and other than tire pressure and not using my air I didn't see anything that could really help me to get better fuel mileage. I drive an 06 Mercury Milan(Ford Fusion) with a 6 cylinder engine.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Welcome! Have you read any of the articles? That would be the best place to get a general feel for the techniques that we like to use. Traffic can be very tough to manage but there are things you can do in terms of conserving momentum. (The basic idea is to leave room in front of you so that you don't have to slam on your brakes the second everybody else does.) Alternate routes are a great thing to look at, too. Is there a frontage road or anything that would keep you off of the highway?

What kind of mileage have you been getting up to this point?

3. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Hold tight,,, some of our very best drivers are in or around Chicago. Im sure they will chime in....

psy

4. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Welcome to CleanMPG. I'm from the Chicago area and may be able to help a bit. If you can post a message here listing some details of your route like what streets and expressways I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out for fuel saving ideas.
    Definitely read articles like how and why of hypermiling by excel, and the one by tarabell is quite good as well. There's gold in these articles...

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Well... I go down Diversy for about 2 miles, then get on the the Edens and go North to Deerfield. I haven't found any better way to go. Occasionally if traffic is REAL bad I will take Lincoln to Touhy and get on the highway there.

I try to not accellerate and brake a lot while in traffic, but a lot of the time it's really hard not to. I need to work on not using the air so much. Is there anything else you do to your car, modifications or anything?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

While it's still on my mind...........

The mileage that some of you Illinois guys pull in that horrendous Chicago traffic you have is just phenomenal. I can only imagine you fellas have more than a few "mini tricks" up your sleeves to bring out during those stretches. I hit just a small, rare patch of stop & go here and just groan. :)

Hats off.

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Kevin:

___I have about a microsecond of time right now but PM me when you get the chance. Maybe we can do a clinic this weekend if you can make a quick trek up to the Gurnee area? That 6 w/ an Auto is going to kill you in the stop and crawl stuff but we will see what we can do to help.

___Marc, driving through Austin every day tells me you have some of this nasty traffic experience under your belt as well ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Traffic!!! I see more than two cars together. I know there out to get me and I run the other way.

9. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Kevin,
    Looking at mapquest and doing a bit head scratching leads me to a couple of ideas that might be worth trying. (My Mom lives near California & Peterson)

Lincoln Ave is probably a pretty good route, but instead of getting on 94 at Touhy, continue up 41... to perhaps Glenview Road, then west to 43 and continue north. Ah, I also see possiblities for Hibbard road to Willow west to Forestway road which goes through that lagoon area... I'm pretty sure that road has almost no lights or stop signs, and lets out at Green Bay Road not far from county line road. I see a lot of potential good segments, part of the fun is getting from one good segment to another. Yes, it may in general take a little more time than straight up 94, but remember that in rain or icky weather or an accident you are trapped on 94, whereas on the surface streets you have a LOT of alternatives.

Keep us updated with your progress, it is definitely an experiment, don't be discouraged by some part being particularly bad, just try another way... In some ways you are lucky to have so many possible routes... my commute is about 10-11 miles, and there is only about 5 different ways to get there since work and home are almost straight line north and south from each other.