U R A BUS (That's Subaru backwords)

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by geekguyandy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Member

Hi all. I'm new here, and I haven't been in "the game" very long, but I just took a look at the gaslog and noticed my Subaru Legacy was doing much better than others (sorry to brag;)) You'll likely hear more from me, so I'm just saying hi for now.

"hi!"

-Andy

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Hello and welcome! 33.7mpg from a Legacy is really outstanding considering that they weigh-in a little heavier and have a few extra losses with the AWD system. I hope you will continue to keep tabs on the mileage and keep us apprised of your progress.

3. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Member

Maybe mine is higher because I turned the AWD off. I guess most people didn't know that was possible, and I didn't either, until the AWD was going out and was going to cost $1100 to fix, but the mechanic mentioned the fuse that shuts off AWD.

4. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

Good work Andy. Holy cow, first I lose the Mazda Title, and now I'm in third place in the Subaru division :(

I know, I know, it's not a competition... ;)

Unfortunately I can't use the fuse trick with my Subie, that only works on automatics. I'd probably try it if I could, at least when the weather was nice.

5. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Member

really? there's no fuse thing under the hood? Mine has a special spot right by the passengers mirror labeled FWD. it's not with any other fuses

What's the FE on your subaru?

6. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

As far as I knew, the 4wd in my manual Legacy wagon was a
    completely mechanical device; a differential between front
    and rear with a viscous coupling. No on/off switch or fuse.
    Welcome! I sorta wish I'd known what I know now back when I
    had the wagon; I never pulled more than 27 out of it and wonder
    how I'd do now. With the 2.5 I always thought of it as an
    overpowered brute anyways, and the very low seating position
    made me really appreciate the ergos of the Prius.
    _H*

7. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Member

I think it may have been a hidden secret. I don't know of anyone else that knew about that fuse before. I would certainly not have assumed that turning off AWD would be that easy.

8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Hobbit, I believe you're right. Subaru AWDs with MT have always had a mechanical (viscous) coupling. I don't believe there is a fuse to remove, because the system doesn't require electricity to run. I've pored over the owner's manual several times looking for information on disabling the AWD system, and I don't believe it's possible with the MT. IIRC the manual says the AT AWD can be disabled for towing, but MTs must be towed by flatbed. FWIW, my 1987 Civic AWD Wagon had a simple bolt I could turn to disable the system, but I don't believe Subarus have anything similar.

Subaru AWDs with ATs have (at least since the first generation Legacy) had an electronically controlled AWD system. Removing a fuse may very well disable it.

In any event, 33+ mpg in a Subaru -- especially with AT and the thirstier 2.5 engine -- is truly impressive. I have a 2.2 with MT (1996) and am averaging 31 so far. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

9. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

10. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Member

WriConsult,
    There was a 2.2 and a 2.5L version, and I always assumed mine was 2.2, but I have no idea for sure. The manual doesn't say which it is.

There's also nothing in the manual about disengaging AWD. I'm not saying that it is possible, but someone with a M/T could look under their hood and say for sure.

11. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

Wri is right, the fuse on the AT versions is to disable the AWD system to make towing easier. I don't think Subaru expected people to pull it to get better FE.
    But since you have a mechanical problem, do what you gotta do I guess. Don't know what other consequences doing that might have on the rest of the car though.

From what I recall, during normal driving the automatic transmisson provides 90% of the power to the front wheels, 10% to the rear. It will adjust more to the back if needed.

The manual version during normal driving divides the power 50/50 front and rear, and then adjusts as traction changes.

And Andy, to see my FE just look below in the little green boxes...

12. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Whoops, you're right. I was thinking Outback -- all OBs since 1997, and all OBs with ATs, period, have been 2.5s. But you have a standard Legacy, and those were 2.2s up through 1999.