Month of January 2022 (Nat'l Avg $3.286)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the first grind of 2022 :D

I haven’t driven this year and I definitely haven’t used any gas ;)

Every grade is at least a dollar more than this time last year $$$

Regular is 45.8% more expensive than this time last year.

[​IMG]
    We ‘re enjoying a few mild days here so I’ve been on a couple of bike rides, 22 miles yesterday and 28 miles this afternoon.

litesong and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Thanks for ringing in the new monthly grind, Gord. I'm sure the Washington state residents are envious of your weather in England. :)

litesong and Gord like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

PSX_20220102_130502.jpg Saw my first Volta charger. Rated at 10kW. More than my weak onboard AC charger will be take. Charged at I presume 3.3 kW while I shopped for groceries. 30 minutes total. There was no advertising that I could see to pay for the service. Perhaps the grocery store chips in?

I did my duty on PlugShare and checked in and out. Also posted a couple of photos.

Edit: added photo

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

All right! Some FREE Volta chargers pump out more kW than I thought. I thought they gave 7kW per hour. Then I read about some FREE VOLTAS that were 8 & then 9kW. Thanks for the tip-off that some FREE Voltas might be 10kW. I’ll be deliriously happy with 10 or 11kW FREE charging per hour! A few FREE Voltas are Fast Chargers too, but I don’t want them. When & if I can afford a 2022 11.5kW Chevy Bolt, it’ll be nice when I encounter the faster charging FREE a/c Voltas.
    As for the advertising, I’ve seen some on Volta Chargers. But, I’m thinking Volta is having a hard time establishing themselves as a legitimate advertising media. It’s worrying me, that without lots of advertising, Volta might go belly up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Gord and BillLin like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 6 deg F in Naperville , 7 in Elk Grove.
    35.1 miles ( some snow in right hand lanes ) fcd = 54.2 x .943 = 51.1 MPG.

And the Midwest , too !

Gord, BillLin and litesong like this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today . 20 deg F in Naperville and Elk Grove.
    35.1 miles , fcd = 60.0 x .943 = 56.6 MPG
    Tank is at 423.4 miles , fcd = 61.0 x .943 = 57..5 MPG.

Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

From 1-2-22:
    Yeah, yeah, I know. I’m only saving about $1 per hour of charging. If I ever charge where electricity is 20cents per kWhr, I might save $2 per hour. To me that is a lot of money, say over 100 hours of charging. Most people will sniff. But charging for 100 hours at 10kW per hour is 1000kWhr, enough juice to go 3500 or 4000 miles. & if I can really featherfoot, I might get 4500 miles AND spend a hundred hours at my favorite places. When I see a dollar bill on the ground, I pick it up & keep on going…..& hope my back doesn’t go out. Charging for FREE at a charger, I don’t even have to bend over. Ha ha ha
    Its so nice to be retired & be able to point the car, where I want to go!

BillLin and Gord like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 29 deg F in Northbrook , 25 in Elk Grove.
    17.8 miles , fcd = 64.6 x .943 = 60.9 MPG.

litesong, Gord and BillLin like this.
  9. litesong

litesong litesong

Said, not too prematurely(?), we have a James Webb telescope! Excerpts from the Neowise Comet thread, the secondary mirror is locked in place. The anxiety of 20+ years of intricate planning is….. curtailing! I think they can do science (with many adjustments), even if the extra segments of the main mirror can’t be moved in to place(no evidence they won’t). Plus, NASA is excited that the Ariane launch was so accurate, that enough fuel has been saved for extra years(5+?) of service.

I’m thinking that the extra years of delay made the launch, deployments, functionality & delivery of JW to Lagrange 2 more reliable & possible. Yeah, yeah, I know. It isn’t at Lagrange 2, & instruments aren’t powered up, adjusted & tuned yet. But, the “huge” hurdles are in the rear view mirror (altho JW doesn’t have such).

Gord likes this.
  10. Gord

Home charge early Monday morning, 50.4 miles added in 1'30"

Monday morning, took the dogs for a walk at a nature reserve, let puppy off the lead for his first proper walk, 47°F:
    8.1 miles - 178 Wh/mi or 5.6 Mi/kWh
    7.5 miles - 282 Wh/mi or 3.5 Mi/kWh

Monday afternoon, went shopping, 49°F:
    4.6 miles - 166 Wh/mi or 6.0 Mi/kWh
    4.5 miles - 251 Wh/mi or 4.0 Mi/kWh

Tuesday morning, home charge, 39 miles added in 1'10"

Back to work Tuesday morning, non-motorway route, temperatures back towards normal for the time of year, 37°F:
    19.6 miles - 222 Wh/mi or 4.5 Mi/kWh

Going home last night, motorway route as road closed on normal route, 37°F:
    21.9 miles - 212 Wh/mi or 4.9 Mi/kWh

Home charge this morning, 41.9 miles added in 1'14"

To work this morning, non-motorway route, 37°F:
    19.6 miles - 222 Wh/mi or 4.5 mi/kWh

litesong and BillLin like this.
  11. litesong

litesong litesong

Our western Washington weather is a battle between the Arctic, which is still delivering snow to BC, & the Pineapple Express, trying to deliver warmer rain from Hawaii. Most of the local snow on roads is gone. Should be quite a bit of rain coming…..BUUTTTT, a chance for more snow in some lowlands, specially north around Bellingham, Washington. Yes, yes, it was Bellingham region including most of BC, that had all the major flood destruction, that was followed by the crippling snow depths.

BillLin likes this.
  12. litesong

litesong litesong

Wow! Sometimes among large scale tragedy, small scale & strange disasters occur. In weeks previous, I have reported on the powerful rains, floodings, & later snows that have piled on top of Washington state’s Whatcom county, events that also have stomped on British Columbia.
    Aaron Cooper, a member of the local tribe near Deming, was walking through the snow along Highway 9. Highway 9 runs parallel, & some miles east of Freeway I-5, & helps north & south traffic in the Northeast Salish Sea (Puget Sound) region. A snowplow, while performing its duties, hit Mr. Cooper & he is dead. Experienced people say no such accident ever occurred previously in the region.

I’ve been a pedestrian as snowplows passed me in the past, & thought people have to be careful around such powerful equipment. Also, I’ve been a traveler on scenic Highway 9 & hope to travel its ways in the future. I’m so sorry for Mr. Cooper & many citizens of Deming are now hurting also, on top of the recent weather events that have hit the region.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 6 deg F in Naperville and Elk Grove Village.
    Yesterday the trip home was all highway because I wanted HEAT !
    When I was headed west , roughly half of my trip , I was fighting
    a 22 MPH headwind. When I got off the highway , the trip fcd was 47.
    In the 7.5 miles of suburban roads , I only got up to 50.4 MPG fcd.
    Very sad.
    Filled up in Elk Grove for $3.459. 522.7 miles ,
    30 remaining ,fcd = 59.7 x .943 = 56.3 MPG.
    And it's going to be colder tonight.

14. Gord

That’s low for you Edwin but still impressive in those conditions :D

Back home last night, non-motorway route, 37°F:

To mother's, 35°F:
    4.4 miles - 176 Wh/mi or 5.7 Mi/kWh
    4.4 miles - 330 Wh/mi or 3.0 Mi/kWh

To free fast(er) charger this morning, freezing, 29°F:
    44.2 miles added in 18"
    The Tesla App informed me that charging had been interrupted so I went back to my car from my walk and stuck it on charge again:
    A further 27.1 miles added in 12" - took range up to 153 miles or 45.5%

To work this morning, non-motorway route, 29°F:
    19.2 miles - 231 Wh/mi or 4.3 mi/kWh

BillLin and litesong like this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

Been cold rain through the night & looks like the next 5 hours might add another 2 thirds of an inch. The remaining snow may remain even after the 5 hours. The day may get nearly 9 tenths of an inch, with plenty of rain in the next days, too. We’ll see. My wife will travel 100 miles round trip & I’ll go see my doctor in the other direction, but only 6 miles round trip. Elantras will be in action, today!

All Washington state cross-Cascade Mountain passes are closed. Even all lanes of I-84, along the Columbia River, crossing from Portland area to eastern Oregon is closed (for a lengthy time?) due to a major landslide. Yes, western & eastern Washington are completely severed to traffic. Maybe, western & eastern Oregon are severed too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  16. litesong

litesong litesong

D-d-don’t you mean, “That’s lowdown of you, Edwin?” :)

Oh, I am so funny!

Gord likes this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Thanks , Gord. I try to get good results , but when it's really cold , I may take the route that keeps the engine running more often.
    In 2018 , I had a commute that was VERY favourable to hypermiling. I had three consecutive tanks of 75 MPG or better. Summer , of course.

Hilarious.

Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  18. Gord

Back home last night, non-motorway route, 37°F:

To mother's, 35°F:
    4.4 miles - 176 Wh/mi or 5.7 Mi/kWh
    4.4 miles - 330 Wh/mi or 3.0 Mi/kWh

To free fast(er) charger this morning, freezing, 29°F:
    44.2 miles added in 18"
    The Tesla App informed me that charging had been interrupted so I went back to my car from my walk and stuck it on charge again:
    A further 27.1 miles added in 12" - took range up to 153 miles or 45.5%

Supposed to be 50kWh but only charging at 35kWh

To work this morning, non-motorway route, 29°F:
    19.2 miles - 231 Wh/mi or 4.3 mi/kWh

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Just got home. A lot like yesterday's trip home , but instead of a 22 MPH headwind ,
    it was only 15 MPH. Yesterday was 12 deg F ,today 9 deg.
    Yesterday was 50 MPG (fcd) , today 53.
    One of these days , it will warm up.

20. litesong

litesong litesong

In areas of western Washington which previously got feet of snow, the rain has weighted the snow so much, that roofs are collapsing. Now, many residents are being told to leave because of rising rivers, fed, not only be rain, but also by melting snow.