Would It Be A Good Idea For Std Licence Plates to Indicte It's a Hybrid/Alt Fuel?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, Apr 19, 2006.

?

Would It Be A Good Idea For Std Licence Plates to Indicte It's a Hybrid/Alt Fuel?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Would It Be A Good Idea For Standard Licence Plates to Indicte It's a Hybrid or alternate fuel vehicle?

After all, plates indicate if it's a truck, farm vehicle, car dealer....

I can see pros and cons....

2. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

with any luck, it will become moot within a decade, as hybrid becomes a standard power plant- just another powertrain option, as it should be. Supplanting ICE-only, as auto has supplanted stick and power windows supplanted roll-down.

"Hi, I'm interested in the XYZ"

"Great. Would you like that in CVT or 7speed auto, 4cyl or V6, with or without electric assist, 500 or 1000GB media player? You do know that all purchases come with a full tank of E85, right?"

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I also hope in a decade hybrids are the rule - not the exception.

My thinking is it would be easier for state and local governments to identify vehicles eligible for credits as well as to promote hybrids. Some here complain that some hybrids are hard to tell from the conventional version (i.e. Civic)

4. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

What could it Hurt? Nothing that I can see.

So my answer is, {YES} :D

5. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Well, you can't transfer the plate to another vehicle unless its another hybrid.

6. Green&Blue

Green&Blue Well-Known Member

Tom has a good point.

I voted 'no', from the perspective of potential theft-prevention and retribution / retaliation (I actually mull over the thought of de-badging my car).

7. tigerhonaker

Well, Tom & Green&Blue do have some very interesting points about the Hybrid Tag.

However I think even though I have taken those things into account I still go with, (YES) :D

8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything, but I can't see what good it would really do, either. Hybrids are cars, they run on gasoline (albeit less of it), and they generally do their owners a great service. Announcing them all to everyone else with special license plates doesn't add any value IMHO.

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

goverment should give tax breaks to those driving efficently.

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Why I Asked

• Some members complain it's not obvious they drive a hybrid (particularly the Civic)
    • Many states have different licence plates for trucks

11. tigerhonaker

Re: Why I Asked

Hi Chuck;

Thats why I chose the Custom License Plate Frame & Personalized License Plate. :D

[​IMG]