The SportWagen is getting a new DPF...

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Sep 12, 2021.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

So, I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary with my 2014 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI. My Check Engine light came on a couple weeks ago, but the soonest available appointment my dealer had was Friday. Here's the result:

My DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter - filters the soot out of the exhaust) has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Ordinarily, this means that the car will be out of service for an indefinite period of time because the DPFs have been backordered a lot. As luck would have it, my dealer actually had one in stock, so I should be back in my car by Monday night, Tuesday at the latest.

For anyone wondering, this is covered under VW's 10 year/120,000 mile Dieselgate warranty.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Any clue what it would otherwise cost you---or will cost the next time?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

It is my understanding that its a couple grand. I'm hoping by the time I need one again that aftermarket options have come into play, and the price will come down. Right now the aftermarket isn't interested because VW is paying for them to be replaced.

BillLin, xcel and RedylC94 like this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

I always wondered why the big wigs in VW didn’t get 10 year prison sentences.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Great result :):cool:

BillLin likes this.