Bought a New Car: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid

Discussion in 'General' started by Jay, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

They had a white one with gray interior in the "blue" trim level in Logan, UT. Logan is 160 miles south of me so I went down there and traded my beloved Acura RSX of 19 years and 221k miles for it. It was not easy to say goodbye to my RSX.

2022 Hyundai Tucson HEV

[​IMG]

I insisted on test driving the Tucson. I had driven my sister's hybrid Sonata, the Kia Niro, and Hyundai Ioniq hybrids and didn't think I could live with them. This was 4 or 5 years ago. This Tucson is pretty sweet. No significant throttle response problems and hybrid braking response is very linear and well blended with the friction brakes. HKG has really come a long way in refining the driving feel of their hybrids.

I've burned through 3/4 tank of fuel and I'm still breaking it in. The gas mileage calculator says 40mpg for the tank thus far...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iNZEeDfPkU9XLkRr6

xcel, litesong, BillLin and 1 other person like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Wow! Looks great and nice break-in results so far! Congrats!

xcel and Jay like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice ride , Jay !

xcel, Jay and BillLin like this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

Hope you beat our record.......two Hyundai Elantras.....now with total 160,000 miles & 13 car-years between the two.....& nothing has ever gone wrong with either vehicle.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    xcel, BillLin and Jay like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've burned through the first tank with a measured 40.4 mpg. No problems yet but the lack of a dedicated EV mode is a glaring deficiency. When the PHEVs come out I'll study the schematics and see if that function is possibly implemented in software on the HEVs. Maybe a switch is all I need to get that feature.

xcel, litesong and BillLin like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Are you regularly switching parking places, moving the car out of the way to get to the lawn mower, or wishing not to disturb the neighbors early in the morning with the noise of the engine?

It was for those type scenarios that Toyota put an EV mode into the gen1 Prius. For moving the car a very short distance, or when the noise of the engine can be an issue. Along with the long list of why the car wouldn't go into EV mode when asked, it is very easy to over use the feature, and actually use more gasoline. Which is why the gen1 and gen2 Prii exported to America didn't have it.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Trollbait, exactly. I have a motorcycle and a car and a 1-car garage so I'm continually shuffling vehicles. A large part of the reason I bought a hybrid was to do this without starting the engine. The automotive industry has done millions of dollars of research on engine wear--where and when it occurs and why, and how to mitigate the problem. The highest engine wear regime is the cold-start warm up cycle. One automotive researcher said that the wear penalty for a single cold start warm up cycle is about the same as 500 miles of freeway driving. It infuriates me to have the engine start beyond my control when I'm just backing into the driveway. This Tucson does this without fail once I back up and place it in park. I thought it might be doing it to support cabin heat so I turned the climate control off, but it still starts needlessly.

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I'm confused. The first generation had it, but also did not? The third generation (mine, for example) has it, but in the US only when the engine temperature is above 20°C (?I think it is). Which is stupid, because it requires needlessly starting the engine, with all the associated wear, noise, oil contamination, and pollution, just to move the car 10 feet on a cool day.

xcel, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

i have no problem taking my 3rd gen Prius out of the garage ( 15-20 ft )
    without having the engine start. On a day when it is 20 deg F in my garage ,
    I need to do it quickly and shut off the car ASAP or the engine will start.

I have no remote for my garage door opener , so I hit the button inside the garage ,
    then exit thru my front door. But I can see that for what Jay wants to do , the Prius
    wouldn't work either.

xcel, BillLin and RedylC94 like this.
  10. RedylC94

^^ Yeah, you have to be quick and well coordinated for that to work. If the short move happens to be down a grade, it isn't necessary to be so quick if you shift to "N" soon after "READY" appears, then shut down without first shifting out of "N."

xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. BillLin

Back to the "Fred Flintstone" method then?... :D

litesong and xcel like this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

I dont shift to N. Ever.
    I stop , apply parking brake , and shift to P.

13. Trollbait

The gen1 had it in 1997 for the domestic model. When Toyota started exporting the Prius with the model's mid cycle refresh, those sent to North America didn't have it. It could have been because we always get Toyota's goodies last, or they were worried about excess owner complaints for when the system chose not to let the EV mode engage. IIRC, a translation of the list of why it might not go to EV from the Japanese manual was longer than the reasons given in the Prime one for why the car might leave EV mode.

In your case, you also have to consider the traction pack's temperature and SOC. Keep in mind that NiMH has one of the fastest self discharge rates.

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This is how I did it in my beloved RSX but it weighed 2700 lbs. I don't think I could push the 3700 lb Tuscon that way. It's remarkable that this Tucson which is bigger, less aero, much heavier, quicker and faster, and AWD gets better FE than my RSX. It's just amazing!

BillLin and xcel like this.
  15. RedylC94

None of that is ordinarily a credible reason not to allow a brief, very short maneuver when the temperature is 17°C. Obviously there are circumstances in which they can't allow EV, such as low state-of-charge, or high battery temperature. Not to mention idiots who try going through a car wash in "N" with the compressor running at full tilt.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wow. I just realized that my Prius has never been in a car wash.
    And it's true that I have never used "N".

17. BillLin

Don't the discs ever get rusty? I had to use neutral last week to clear some rust off the Crosstrek as we had driven in the rain and the discs were rusty by morning. It was still raining...

18. Trollbait

As I said, Toyota had a long list of why the car wouldn't go into or stay in EV mode, and they cared more about protecting the battery than appeasing some owners. Which is why I believe they left it off the gen1 and early gen2 exports to America; to avoid these complaints.

If the SOC was low when the car was parked, it will be lower the next day. Using EV briefly then may not be an issue a few times, but the programming can't predict future use. So it assumes the worse. That the EV mode being triggered on start up isn't a limited time thing, but something that could happen every time the car was started.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Hi , Bill. Don't know. I don't look at 'em.
    Should ! ?

20. BillLin

I think of brake drag as another way to lose a couple MPG... :) And then someday, when you might actually need the friction brake, there will be nothing there! :eek: But you do pay attention to your car's needs once in a while, so the latter is unlikely.

xcel likes this.