Ice Coming?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Ford Man, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Ford Man

Ford Man Well-Known Member

Everyone keep our area in your prayers. We're forecast to get 1/4-3/4 inch of ice/freezing rain and up to an inch of snow between now and early tomorrow afternoon. Snow doesn't bother me too bad especially small amounts but I hate to see that much ice as it will probably cause widespread power outages. I went yesterday afternoon and bought 5 gallons of kerosene for portable heaters so if we lose power we can at least stay warm.

2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

You got it, Ford Man. Ice is difficult for my winter wonderland area as well. I imagine surrounding states are sending utility crews to you right now. They're pretty good about taking care of these crises.

Best wishes,
    Bill

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  3. Ford Man

Thanks Bill. Expected accumulations have dropped, they're now saying 1/4-1/2 inch. Still enough accumulation to cause significant problems. Before moving back to KY in 2010 we lived about 35 miles from Charlotte, NC and most of the time if we had bad winter weather it was ice instead of snow. I grew up in KY and learned how to drive on snow/ice years ago so that part of it doesn't really bother me too bad. I always hated driving in bad weather around the Charlotte area because no one knew how to drive on ice/snow. When my son was young his glasses got broke one time when it snowed about an inch. I drove to Charlotte to get him a new pair of glasses and couldn't believe when I got there they were closed because of bad weather. There they call 3-4 inches of snow a winter storm. In Feb. 1988 I started to work one morning in south Charlotte and it had just started snowing. All through the day people that only lived a few miles away were leaving and asking me if I wasn't going home. When I got off work that afternoon there was 14" of snow on the ground. I drove between 40-45 miles to get home in a rear wheel drive with all season tires and never had a bit of trouble. The freezing rain hasn't started here yet but there are already a few reported power outages about 50 miles away. Looks like the rain will soon be freezing here. The current reported temperature is 32*.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

^^ Same as my experience living in an area of N.C. that gets even less snow than Charlotte. The first time it snowed a little after I moved there, I rode my bike to work as usual, only to find hardly anyone there. So I pedalled to the nearby library hoping to kill time reading there, only to find it closed. Same Virginia and S.C., too.

BillLin likes this.
  5. Ford Man

I just checked outdoor conditions a few minutes ago, looks to be about 1/8" of ice on my front porch. I think things are supposed to get much worse around midnight and is supposed to last through early afternoon tomorrow.

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

7. Ford Man

So far the ice hasn't been as bad as expected. I haven't been outside yet but it looks like there's probably less than 1/4". I'll be going out in about an hour. I go daily to the gym to do water therapy for my chronic back pain. Bill the article you linked is for the Lexington area which is about 200 miles NE of where we live. We live in Logan county in the south central area of KY right on the TN border. Thanks to the ones who kept our situation in prayer and have responded to the situation in this thread.

BillLin likes this.
  8. BillLin

Glad to hear it was a quarter inch in your area. Does your area salt the roads if icy? Some places don't. Sand is probably sufficient if roads are well traveled, but the early travelers on fresh ice can have a difficult time. My city does a good job of plowing and applying deicing agents for colder temperatures. I think some people with pickups and plows work for the town as contractors when the sheer number of pieces of equipment is needed to keep up with storms.

Good luck with your water therapy.

9. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

My brother a few counties north of you (Daviess Co.) reports ice up to 3/8" thick on everything now, including the road.

Have fun sliding!

BillLin likes this.
  10. Ford Man

Usually they'd have treated the roads beforehand but this time it was raining prior to the ice event so they didn't treat them. Probably some of the secondary roads got salted today. I went out about lunch today and there was no ice on the roads in town at that time. This afternoon I went to my mom's house about 20 miles away. Most of that drive is 4 lane and they too were clear. Still lots of ice on grassy surfaces and trees though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

I often find those scenes quite beautiful in the sunshine especially.

12. litesong

litesong litesong

& as you slide into the roadside gutter, you get a long time to contemplate the view..... or no time at all.

BillLin likes this.
  13. BillLin

I hear what you're saying litesong. However, unlike you, I do not drive to see the scenery. I enjoy watching the scenery right from my back deck. :D

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  14. BillLin

taken from my home about a year ago...

Attached Files:

15. Ford Man

I agree the ice makes some beautiful scenery but it sure is dangerous on the roadways. We might get a little melting today and tomorrow. The high temp today is forecast 33* and 34* tomorrow. After Saturday we're forecast to stay below freezing until next Wednesday.

BillLin likes this.
  16. Ford Man

The temps didn't get above freezing today so no melting. I haven't seen any weather today but my son called this afternoon and said now they're saying we may get 12-24" of snow between Sunday and next Thursday. I hope if it comes we don't get that much but I'd rather have the snow than more ice. If it's snow maybe we won't be as likely to lose power. We was at Wally World awhile ago so while they still had some I bought 100 lbs. of ice melt for the porches, steps and sidewalk. I'd rather spend a few dollars on ice melt than end up in the emergency room with a broken leg, arm etc. Years ago our winter weather used to start around Dec.-Jan. but in recent years it seems it doesn't get bad until late Jan.-early Feb.

BillLin and litesong like this.
  17. litesong

litesong litesong

Yes, I never liked snow in November, because it meant possible snow all thru the winter. But snow in February probably meant snow for only the next month or so.

BillLin likes this.
  18. litesong

litesong litesong

We have some snow in the Puget Sound, now 27degF. It was a fine grain that built up slowly, but its about 2 inches. Mostly, wind from the east, but it’s tending to swirl, picking up the fine snow off roofs & cars. Then, the snow settles out of the wind, causing patches of small drifts & cleared spaces on the roofs & cars. There is enough snow tho, that the ground remains fully covered, even on the road which is very lightly traveled this early Saturday morning.

PS. One hour later....Snow continues, larger flakes than the fine powder earlier, now 3 inches deep with the wind still from the east & the mountains. One week till we get our 2nd ccp coronavirus shots, 60 miles away. I want this snow gone by then. Prediction is for warming & rain in the next few days & the snow should be gone. We’ll see.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    BillLin likes this.
  19. Ford Man

We had a little snowfall last night. Less than an inch. Other than what my son told me yesterday I haven't heard any accumulation estimates yet, just that it's going to be a significant snowfall possibly starting out again as freezing rain or sleet. My thermometer is currently showing 27*. If anything comes it will different than the last time. Last time the ground was warm. This time the temperature hasn't been above freezing since Wednesday so accumulation will start immediately.

BillLin likes this.
  20. Ford Man

Weather tonight says tomorrows storm system may start out as sleet or freezing rain and we could see nearly a 1/4" of ice before the snow starts. The local weather person said we're likely to see over 1' of snow. Temps are getting down into the teens tonight and wind chills will probably be around 0*F or below.

BillLin likes this.