My first EV

Discussion in 'General' started by Blackbelt, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I have been driving my Prius C since 2016 and love the car. I bought it with 22K miles on it and am now past 75K trouble free miles. My wife drives a 2013 smart fortwo that we bought new. We have been talking about one particular car that we both really liked, so i started searching for one about 6 months ago. I finally found the right car at a price i could live with.
    A 2017 BMW I3.
    We both love the size and styling of the car. We rally love the horrific depreciation of them on the used market. To be able to buy a 3 year old car with 30K miles on it, for under $16K (that originally was over $50K) is what made us decide to go for it. We are still discussing which car to sell. my guess is that the smart will be the one to go, but that's her decision.
    Once the weather calms down here, i will take it for a thorough familiarization drive. My limited time behind the wheel has been very positive. I have a lot of reading to do to discover all of it's capabilities.

Attached Files:

• I3.jpg
      I3.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Congrats on the intelligent purchase and the nice car! Did you get it with or without the range extender?

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I would skip the range extender myself. It's a nice car !

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

Since he called it an EV, I'm guessing it was without the range extender. Another good choice with that car, and hopefully he keeps his Prius C for road trips, versus the fortwo.

xcel likes this.
  5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Excellent purchase! There's a lot to like about the i3, and those of us who buy used cars can really benefit from the ridiculous depreciation of EVs - while it lasts. I'd think the Prius C is the one you'll want to keep for roadtrips.

I haven't actually driven the i3, but I've sat in a couple of them at the EV-only dealer where I got my Leaf. The kids were totally fascinated by it, which means it lands on the Cool Board.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Blackbelt

Thanks! Mine does have the Rex. In retrospect I probably should have gotten the non Rex model, but That's hindsight.
    I do have a Jeep Renegade for roadtrips, but I still prefer to keep the Prius C, just because i like it so much and it's a damn good reliable car. My wife hardly puts any miles on the smart since she retired lst year, so i would like to sell it and she and i can split time with the I3. But i promised her when i bought the smart back in 2015 that i would not sell it unless SHE wanted it sold, so i am going to stick to my promise. However, she was the one who brought up that possibility so i have a feeling she will decide thats the way to go. She loves the I3 so i think she wants to use it as her primary vehicle. I know 2 things that bug her about selling it though. One is i put a killer sound system in the smart when i bought it, and secondly the I3 does not have a CD player and she has a lot of CD's. I already promised her i would rip her CD's to a usb. Hopefully that will suffice. The smart only has 46K miles on it so hopefully it will be an easy sell.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

Ripping the CD to flash drive was the first thought in my mind when I saw mention of not having a CD player. :D I think we're all behind you! I hope it's win-win for both of you!

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Blackbelt:

Congrats on the 2017 BMW i3 purchase! The REX will help on a slightly longer drive while the Prius c is your go to long distance vehicle ready to rock and roll on a moments notice! :)

I checked the Crutchfield website and that i3s head unit and central display is not user/consumer swappable/replaceable. Probably because it is embedded with i3 EV centric programming that the after market cannot match just as the one in my Prius Prime is. IIRC, the i3s Harmon Kardon system sounded really nice too!

2017 BMW i3

[​IMG]
    A hero shot in the mountains on the outskirts of LA.

[​IMG]
    A hell of a nice looking interior for a low mile, $16k purchase!!!​

Wayne

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  9. Blackbelt

Thanks Wayne. That picture looks a lot like mine, same color protonic blue. My interior is different though, it's a dark gray..
    Just fially got the I3 PA inspected so it';s now legal. Haven't driven it much, but now that the weather is breaking here i am going to start to use it. Still no decision as to whether the smart is staying or going as of yet. I have been using my Prius every day for commuting. I will probably have the winter tires taken off the prius in a few weeks. They do hurt my mileage(along with the cold), plus they are a little noisy. But they do a fantastic job keping me safe when the snow flies, which has been pretty often this year.

BillLin likes this.
  10. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Ugh. That is a very time-consuming effort. It also requires frequent babysitting (e.g., to swap disks, to click "Yes, import this", and so on). Not very brain-intensive or attention-intensive, but still it's a lot of time sitting in front of the screen.

I tend to watch Youtube videos while I do this. It's only one or two CDs at a time, as I get new ones or I decide I need to hear old ones again. Which also makes it easier than all at once.

BillLin likes this.