World Record Setting VW Golf Is No More in The U.S.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 21, 2021.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] VW Announces end of the line for the standard everyday Golf in the U.S. market. :(

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 20, 2021

[​IMG]

Earlier today, VW announced that Golf production for the U.S. market was axed last week. VW expects that the model year 2021 Golf models built at the Puebla, Mexico plant will sustain sales of the affordable, European-designed hatchback through year end. The Golf family name will carry on in model year 2022 with the introduction of the all-new 8th gen Golf GTI and Golf R this Fall.

Almost 2.5 million Golfs have been sold in the U.S. since 1974 with the current 7th gen Golf was named North American Car of the Year when it debuted in the 2015 model year.

The 2021 Golf TSI incorporates the somewhat powerful 147 hp and 184 lb-ft. of torque turbocharged 1.4L mated to either a 6-speed MT or 8-speed AT while rated at 29/39/33 and 29/36/32 (city/highway/combined) respectively.

The Golf TSI features LED DRLs and taillights, and auto headlamps w/ rain-sensing wipers, heated washer nozzles, and 16” alloys. A proximity key w/ push button start and a panoramic tilt-and-slide sunroof round out the exterior.

Inside, a vinyl wrapped wheel and seating surfaces plus heated front seats are standard. Volkswagen Car-Net and App-Connect keep are also standard. Standard driver assistance features include Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Monitoring (Front Assist), Blind Spot Monitor, and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Pricing for the 2021 VW Golf with the 6-speed MT starts at $23,195. The 8-speed AT starts at $23,995, both with a D&H charge of $995.

Here is a never before published result of an internal drive of the 83-mile rated range 2016 VW eGolf in an attempt to cross Death Valley back in August of 2016… The eGolf could have traveled another 80 plus miles before its SoC was completely depleted! ;)

83-mile Range 2016 VW eGolf in Death Valley

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    139.5 actual miles traveled while consuming just 60 percent of the onboard SoC -- 10.4 mi/kWh.​

The U.S. Golf History

1st Gen Golf (1975-1984) -- First sold in December 1974 as “Rabbit” in the U.S., it included a 70 hp 1.5L I4. The GTI was introduced in 1983 with a 90 hp 1.8L

2nd Gen Golf (1985-1992) -- Sold as the “Golf” in the U.S. It was 7 in longer, 3 in longer wheelbase, and 2 in in width. The standard engine was a revised 85 hp 1.8L while the GTI received a 131 hp 2.0L. The catalytic converter, ABS, and power steering made their debut in this gen.

3rd Gen Golf (1993-1999) -- The base powertrain is a 115 hp 2.0L I4 while the GT moved to a 172 hp 2.8L V6. Front and side airbags made their debut, and cruise control was offered for the first time with the V6.

4th Gen Golf (1999.5-2005) -- All-new design with flatter windshield, and roofline carried further back with steeper rear window. Electronic stability control and side curtain airbags made their debut. A 1.8T engine was introduced for GTI with the 240 hp R32 mated to a 6-speed MT was introduced in 2004 including a Golf first, 4MOTION AWD.

5th Gen Golf (2006-2009) -- New multi-link rear suspension and rain-sensing wipers were introduced. It was sold as the “Rabbit” in the US. The first DSG dual-clutch AT debuts as an option for GTI and the standard transmission for R32. Bi-Xenon headlamps were introduced on both models. The base engine is 150 hp 2.5L whereas the GTI moves to 200 hp turbocharged and direct-injected 2.0L I4. The R32 was reintroduced for 2008 with 250 hp.

6th Gen (2010-2014) -- “Golf” name returns for the U.S. w/ a 170 hp, 2.5L I4 standard. The Golf R was introduced for 2012, with the VR6 engine replaced by a turbocharged and direct-injected 256 hp 2.0L I4.

7th Gen (2015-2021) -- Built upon the Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, it grew in size yet mass was reduced. The base 170 hp 1.8L TSI I4 replaced the 2.5L while gaining 6 mpg highway. This engine was later replaced by the 1.4L TSI engine in 2019. The GTI and Golf R are powered by new 2.0L TSIs with up to 228 hp for GTI and up to 288 hp for Golf R. Available driver-assistance technology includes Automatic Post-Collision Braking System, Forward Collision Warning, Park Distance Control.

2015 VW Golf TDI

[​IMG]
    Guinness World Records fell like rain from the sky while behind the wheel despite its illegal on-the-road emissions profile.​

The Golf will always be known for its go-cart like throwability yet practical every day transportation thanks to its superior suspension tuning and hatch design. While VW will never again mention the TDI, with it, the Golf not only set efficiency Guinness World Records, all that torque available just above idle made it a joy to drive. At least the performance enthusiasts will get their fill of this fun to drive do anything platform as an 8th gen GTI and R in the 2022 MY. I for one will miss this go anywhere, do anything world class C-segment.

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Goodbye , Golf.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The 8th gen is amazing, especially the wagon. I spent a few hours poring over specs and utube videos of the 8th gen golf wagon, the Variant. It's gorgeous. Once again, I am punked by the tyranny of the marketplace. Nobody in NA wants hatchbacks let alone wagons unless they are jacked up with AWD and lots of cladding to look like SUVs. Sad.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZdwzeAUD6WfEW5e17
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

Amen. A 2020 Golf 1.4 TSI 8AT with start/stop would be nice. I'm not sure why it costs so
    much more than the Jetta. I know part of it is the better suspension , but $4K worth ?
    It even has smaller wheels/tires than the Jetta ( which is nice ).

5. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Good point. I wonder if they just build a middle-optioned bunch of Golfs? The Jetta seems to have a more luxurious top end and starts with a stripped down model.

upload_2021-1-21_13-25-31.png

What I don't get is the EPA ratings. Shouldn't city ratings be the same for these two models, unless there is some weight difference? And it is nice that the Golf MT has better highway rating than the automatic, whereas transmission type doesn't seem to affect the Jetta's numbers.

upload_2021-1-21_13-28-6.png

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  6. BillLin

For me, the Kia Niro is the nearest thing to the Golf. The Niro rides a little higher and is slightly bigger, but is a wagon and FWD only and gets decent MPGs. I cannot even consider a gasoline-only (edit: make that ICE only) car any more... I know, the Niro doesn't have the driving fun factor.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and Jay like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I really liked the Niro and Ioniq at one time. I was ready to plop my money down and buy one of the two and decided that I would test drive both and decide. After the test drives I ran away from both. The Ioniq's throttle response was so dreadful that I nearly crashed pulling out of the parking lot and into traffic. I kept stepping on the gas and it kept not going. It was so bad that I immediately pulled over and looked for a set parking brake or something I was doing crazy wrong but no. That's just the way it is. Next up was the Niro. It also had dreadful throttle response but it was much better sorted than the Ioniq.

At some point I liked the Golf Sportwagen. I sat in one at the county fair and was really impressed with the build quality and it has a lot of neat little features. I didn't drive it, but I was really warming up to it. Then they discontinued it. I understand that they still make the 7th gen in Mexico and dealers will order one for you if you ask. But I want the 8th gen.:cool:

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

My 4th generation Golf was good. My 6th generation was really good, aside from the emissions cheating. It was comfortable, quiet, efficient, smooth, and it still handled well even with its smooth ride. It looked like a pretty average car, but anyone who drove mine for more than 15 minutes always seemed to be pleasantly surprised by how nice it was to drive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  9. BillLin

Not quite as good looking (personal opinion) as the Golf, but the Honda Fit would be a close match for size and efficiency. The Fit hybrid would have been a nice addition here in the US, but maybe the HR-V will do if Honda decides to sell that here. The regular HR-V's slightly bigger and less efficient and doesn't have a manual transmission. The e:HEV wouldn't have any shortage on the efficiency front.

upload_2021-1-21_23-37-35.png

upload_2021-1-21_23-38-11.png

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

The Golf is such a great car on paper. Such a great car to drive, too. Such a horrible car to maintain. After my experience with two Mk4 VWs (Golf TDI and Jetta SportWagen, both of which cost me over 30 cents a mile to maintain). The Jetta is the only car that has ever died and left me stranded in traffic. I would never think about owning another VWAG product again. Loved the TDI and its outrageously good mpg, don't get me wrong -- and that's what VW counts on. Too bad, because I otherwise love the departed Golf SportWagen, especially with wagons quickly approaching extinction.

Actually, besides the obvious Mazda3 and Civic Hatches a nice and often overlooked hatchback alternative to the Golf, though sadly not as fuel efficient, is the Hyundai Elantra GT - and its cargo space matches that of the HR-V despite not really being bigger on the outside. One solution to the FE problem with that car is to seek out a 2013 model, which had the plenty-peppy 148hp, 1.8L engine and got 26/37 mpg.

Speaking of the HR-V, while it may be true that the HR-V doesn't have a manual transmission (although it did for the first two years, and it is possible to find a used HR-V MT today), that has become nearly true of the Fit. Honda REALLY doesn't want to sell you one, and that's been true for a long time. Back in 2011, when I was seriously shopping for a Fit, I checked every Honda dealer in the Portland metro area, and there was only ONE manual Fit on any of the dealer lots, out of a couple hundred cars total. And that was ten years ago.

I just did a national new-car inventory search on Edmunds ... their search shows 2944 new Fits currently at dealers visible to Edmunds. ZERO of them are manuals. None. Based on used-car listings, somewhere around 5% of Fits the last few years were manuals (versus 1-2% for HR-Vs in the years the manual was offered), but new ones appear to be gone forever already.

BillLin likes this.
  11. WriConsult

Thanks for that. That bad, huh? I sure like the Ioniq's combo of stellar mpg, generous cargo space and non-Prius looks, and they've seemed nice enough when I sat in them at car shows. I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive of the reviews that complain about the throttle response. It is sounding like it makes the Ioniq/Niro nearly undriveable. Sad!

And so senseless. I've experienced the lagginess and jerkiness of DCTs - in cars with only a gas engine. But with a 70hp electric motor sandwiched between the transmission and the wheels, there is NO excuse. Many hybrids now start out from a stop largely with the electric motor and then let the ICE catch up. Initial takeoff ought to be smooth as butter, just like in a full EV.

It might be one thing if these were first-year cars, but they are now in their fifth year of production. Why is Hyundai still stuck on the big-release deployment model, leaving a vehicle largely unimproved for five years? We in the software field learned Lean and Agile techniques from the auto industry ... why can't they learn Continuous Deployment from us? We have mostly abandoned huge, complex, infrequent releases, and now deploy minor tweaks to software weekly - or even daily, leading to a massive improvements in both productivity and quality.

It's possible there's a mechanical deficiency involved (and even if so, it still should have been fixed long ago). But I bet the problem with these cars is in the drive-control software, which could have been fixed mid-first-model-year with an update to the software installed in the cars. And a flash update could probably also have been provided to owners of existing vehicles. So disappointing.

BillLin likes this.
  12. BillLin

re: throttle response

I know you guys are familiar with the various eco/normal/sport throttle settings. Is an aggressive ECO mode responsible for the poor driving feel described above, or is it worse as in the DCT not deciding on an appropriate gear in the lower range no matter which throttle setting you use?

xcel likes this.
  13. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

With my 14 SportWagen TDI I've been pretty happy with the car itself, but not very happy with the dealer service. Last time I had it in, the intercooler had iced up. They towed it in, and it sat for a week before they even looked at it, and then when I got it back, they had lost one of the keys!

14. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the dealer I bought my Mazda from. During various warranty repairs, they lost not only one of the original keys, but also the mini tire pressure gauge Mazda gave me, the PCV intake air hose, another hose, the wing-nut for the air cleaner, and a couple of other minor nuts and bolts---all replaced with conspicuously non-OE parts. Then they left a vacuum hose disconnected, and mangled the lug nuts.

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

In the case of the Ioniq, yes. The normal mode makes the throttle response more, uh, normal but it also kills the gas mileage.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It's definitely a tuning problem with the software. I'm more sensitive to throttle and braking response problems than most, I think, and I haven't driven a newer Ioniq/Niro--only the first year models. Take a test drive for yourself and see if you can live with them. They are nice cars that will swallow a lot of cargo and get great fuel economy.

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

I liked the Ioniq HEV and PHEV , but only on paper. I never drove one. I am accustomed
    to the very soft reponse in "normal" mode in the Prius. After driving the Prius for a year and
    a half , I drove my old 08 Civic ( which I had given to daughter #2 in 2015 ). The Civic was almost
    undriveable ! I suppose I could get used to it after a while. I now regularly go back and forth
    between 2015 Prius and 2014 Civic. The Civic is difficult to drive smoothly , but no more so than any manual car.

18. WriConsult

How does Normal mode kill the mpg? What does Eco vs Normal effect on that car other than throttle mapping? Shift points? Reduces EV mode?

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly how but I know that it does. You have a choice of great fuel economy and terrible throttle response, or more normal throttle response and significantly reduced fuel economy.

We have drawn this thread way off topic.

BillLin likes this.