2021 Ford Mustang MachE First Drive

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 5, 2021.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Ford’s most significant release in decades proves itself on the mean streets of LA.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 1, 2021

2021 Ford Mustang MachE First Drive Recap Video

It was just over a year ago when we posted possibly the most significant automotive story of the upcoming 2020 model year and one that could in totality define the future of the iconic Ford Motor Company.

A Tesla Killer Enters the Fray – It is Called Ford Mustang Mach-E

Shortly thereafter, the 2021 Ford Mustang MachEs early pricing - which has been revised to even more attractive pricing ;) - and Reservation FAQ plus a 2021 Ford Mustang MachE - Behind the Scenes teaser were released.

In December of 2019, the first batch of 2021 Ford Mustang MachE - Buyer Reservation choices were revealed.

As February of 2020 emerged with a pandemic raging in China "being talked about", Ford released its 2021 Mustang MachE New Breed video and Hot wings in the Frunk update.

At the 2020 Chicago Auto Show, the only U.S. major Auto Show to occur last that year, we were offered the opportunity to ride along inside Ford's All-new, All-Electric, MachE.

Last August, the 2021 Ford Mustang MachE trims power specs were revealed. That same month, the DCFC details were revealed including the 61-miles in just 10-minutes low SoC charging profile and the FordPass charging Network.

2021 Ford Mustang MachE

[​IMG]
    Just 2,200' above the Pacific far below.​

And finally we were afforded the opportunity to drive the 2021 Ford Mustang MachE with the following breakouts:
    And of course the 2021 Ford Mustang MachE First Drive impressions with a focus on the excellent all-electric efficiency elevated the all-new, all-electric, Mustang MachE to one of the most significant Ford releases in decades.

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

2021 Ford Mustang MachE

[​IMG]

The winner of the 2021 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year was revealed earlier today and with little doubt, the 2021 Ford Mustang MachE topped its segment.

After hundreds of hours of drives and evaluation, NACTOY’s jurors voted for the Ford Mustang Mach-E as North American Utility Vehicle of the Year.

Jurors began the 2021 evaluation process with 43 eligible vehicles before narrowing them down to 27 semifinalists and then nine finalists through two rounds of voting.

To determine the winners, jurors voted on the nine finalists in 3 segments - Car, Truck, and Utility, based on segment leadership, innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar.

As stated early on in the introductory posts regarding the Mustang MachE, it was thought to be sacrilege to place the Mustang moniker on not just a utility vehicle, but a battery electric Utility vehicle! Jurors said Ford’s decision to take the risk paid off.

An excellent platform design with ideal performance and incredible efficiency. Adding to its accolades, its interior will wow future millennial buyers for years to come.

Congratulations Ford, this award was well deserved.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi All:

A possible Electrify America network issue rears its head once again. and effects the outcome of a std. high speed CCS charge of a Mustang MachE. :(

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/24/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-chargepoint-electrify-america/

Lawrence is an online friend of mine and is one hell of a writer. In this case, the unreliability of the Electrify America network appears to have struck yet another consumer. This time, one with a brand new MachE review vehicle. :(

I am not sure what the future holds with regards to non-Tesla OEM BEVs but if there is not an almost 100 percent reliable high speed L3 charging network, buying outside of the Tesla family could prove to be very frustrating for any planned or unplanned longer trips away from home.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

And of course it is not just the reliability of the Electrify America Network, it is the smaller numbers of stations and chargers per site that could effect the end user experience going forward.

Electrify America expects to install (or have under development) approximately 800 public charging stations with about 3,500 chargers by the end of 2021.

Tesla currently has a total of ~8,000 supercharger points in North America, compared to about 1,400 for ChargePoint, and 500 charging stations with over 2,200 DC fast chargers for VW's Electrify America network as I typed this up. I do not have a breakout for number of chargers in the U.S. from any of them but it is still expanding.

Electrify America Network

[​IMG]

Tesla Supercharger Network

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I think the charging network (for non-Teslas) is still a pretty significant problem outside CA, even for those who live in cities. We have a fair number of public charging stations here in the Twin Cities (many of them ChargePoint), but I don't think the net number has gone up in the 3 years I've owned my Leaf. A few new ones have come online (some of them to be taken out again, disappointingly) and a number have fallen into disrepair. I think with the number of EVs coming out there will probably be another expansion push soon, but at the moment the situation is concerning.

Fortunately we almost always charge at home, but then again ... the quality of the charging network is partly why.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Dan:

I am sorry to hear of your experiences in the Twin Cities. While the number of L2s and L3s are expanding in CA, the end user is still coming up short when it comes to working chargers. I frequently use the plugshare app to locate chargers in areas I happen to be driving through even though I would never use them. The consumer comments beneath a majority are "Unable to connect", start a charge, or the charger(s) are offline/broken. These are mostly L2s, not L3s since I have filtered those out. This situation has got to remedied asap. If consumers that are considering an EV for their next vehicle purchase read about these types of roadblocks, it will surely dissuade them from making that purchase knowing they will be in the same situation.

Thousands of people in California are going all-in with Tesla Solar w/ Powerwalls and decent 11.5-kW chargers so home charging is definitely the thing. The only time I read of Tesla Superchargers having issues was a year or two ago during the summer months just after the Model 3 was introduced. There were long wait times at some Supercharger sites because there were simply to many vehicles needing a charge at a given location. I wish I had links to some of the stories but I remember seeing a post with a pic showing about 10 Model3s lined up waiting while the sites superchargers were completely filled with other Tesla's trying to get charged. I have not read of that problem since and I am sure Tesla continues to expand its network to stay just ahead of any demand problem? It sure could hit at any time however unlike gas stations which are almost to numerous. Except for the sometimes long waits at Costco's that is. ;)

Adding to this, it appears that a number of Tesla owners are trying to get their hands on the all-new 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime. Here in California, $5k to $10k markups are the norm as the model just reached dealerships last month. They are being purchased off the trucks and according to some online reports, Tesla owners make up a large percentage of would be purchasers. If so, it has to be because they want the RAV4 Prime for their long distance trips and utility while still powering it from the grid or their solar arrays for local commuting.

I still have mixed feelings on the BEV. Even with the Fed TC and State rebates, they are not inexpensive like the PHEVs we can purchase today, have very large depreciation hits, plus the charging time is still a high hurdle.

Wayne

Luke and BillLin like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Go "all-in" or go home ! That would be my choice. But I'm sure the whole package is a lot of $$$ on top
    of the $$$ for a decent Tesla automobile.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, disappointing to hear you're having the same working-charger problems in CA, the center of the EV universe (well, outside Norway). I agree that BEVs certainly aren't "there" yet as all-purpose vehicles, though they should expand beyond a niche soon. Obviously our Gen1 Leaf is just a commuter car - which for us is fine, because it's a far cheaper one than any other vehicle we could own, other than a bicycle. FWIW, for those of us who don't buy new cars, the depreciation hit works very, very heavily in our favor.

But as batteries get cheaper and quicker to refill, and charging stations finally multiply, they will become the way to go. Tesla has proven that you can have fantastic mpg without the performance penalty of earlier-gen hybrids, for example. Of course, that's as long as you don't use that horsepower too often. I do enjoy the amazing squirt of torque in traffic that I can get in my Leaf, and that's a whole lot less than the newer EVs.

I actually think with most of the vehicles currently in the market, you're better off either going all in (full BEV) or just plain hybrid, and it disappoints me there are so few of the latter at the moment. Most of the PHEVs I see make a big sacrifice in cargo space to cram 30 miles of batteries with all the internal combustion stuff, and many of the luxury ones don't even get that great of gas-only mileage, or even very good mileage as EVs go. Some of them seem to be the worst of both worlds rather than the best. Seems to me the best compromises out there are in the Ioniq and the Niro PHEVs, both of which manage to get great mpg on gas and electric while not losing too much cargo space.

I still think plain old HEVs are underrated, often getting fantastic mpg (as in the Prius and Ioniq plugins, among others) without losing space or carrying around hundreds of pounds of batteries. I've noticed these vehicles have crept up from .5 kWh battery packs to more like 1.5kWh, which seems like a good idea to enable more assist and just general usability while still not hauling around a huge pack. Today's HEVs are better than ever, but are getting passed by, with cheap gas putting pressure on one side and all the attention to plug-in vehicles on the other.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    xcel, RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  9. Chris12

Chris12 Well-Known Member

On the east coast, EVGo is much more reliable than EA, but almost all EVGo stations are limited to 50 kW. Supposedly, all the EVGo chargers are pre-wired for 150 kW, but this story came out two years ago now and only a handful of them have been upgraded. Still, as a Leaf Plus owner, even though I can get 72 kW from an EA charger, I almost never even bother with them because there’s only one Chademo, they’re often placed too close to store entrances and are often ICE’d, and the sites are plagued with so many reliability issues. Contrast that with many EVGo stations on the BOS-WASH corridor that often have 4-6 plugs, are located a hundred yards from any store entrance, have given me zero problems in two years of long distance driving, and have a charging profile on the Leaf Plus that averages around 44 kW from 10% — 70% SOC. But they need to upgrade those ASAP to 150 kW if auto makers think people are going to shell out 30K plus for the Mach E or ID4 or Ariya but have nowhere reliable to take advantage of 125 kW charging.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. xcel

Hi Chris:

I can imagine so given the conversations I have had with journalists about their experiences with the EA network.

Here in San Diego, there are just a handful of 100 kW EVgo charging stations available with most being 50 kW. That could be a problem looking forward as the next generation of BEVs appear to be designed to charge at 250 kW +.

EVgo network - One 100 kW bank of charging stations

[​IMG]

Audi/Porsche and possibly the yet to be announced Hyundai Ioniq 5 and lineup. Hyundai is promoting 100 km on the WLTP in 5-minutes or about 55-miles in 5-minutes. I doubt a 150 kW can charge an efficient BEV at maybe 145 kw in 5-minutes is at an absolute theoretical best 12 kWh. 55-miles on 12 kW is 4.7 miles/kWh. The current Tesla Model 3 Long Range is rated at a word class best - just behind the Tesla Std. Range Plus - at 4 miles/kWh. I am guessing the Ioniq 5 is being designed for 200 to 250 kW charging rates with the fastest rate occurring between 15 and 30 percent SoC.

In any case, you might like this teaser vid as 5-minutes of fast charging to a smartphone, laptop, cam, and Ioniq 5. You can guess who will easily win this shootout. ;)

Wayne

BillLin and Chris12 like this.
  11. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG] Ford’s All-electric Mustang Mach-E Manufactured by Changan Ford for Chinese Consumption

Ford announced that its Mustang Mach-E will be manufactured in China by Changan Ford for Chinese consumers.

Mustang Mach-E will offer Chinese customers Ford's latest driver-assist technologies and infotainment system that gets even better over time with advanced firmware over-the-air (FOTA) updates.

2021 Ford Mustang MachE

[​IMG]

The latest generation of Ford Co-Pilot360 suite of advanced driver-assist technologies and SYNC+ intelligent infotainment system will offer L2+ level automatic driving assistance functions. In addition, the vehicle stays at the forefront of technology by supporting all FOTA updates, including for vehicle controls, to freshen the driving experience with improvements and new features delivered over-the-air.

Ford is the first automobile manufacturer in China to offer cellular vehicle-to-everything (C-V2X) technology in mass production vehicles and will deploy C-V2X in Mach-E to help drivers in China anticipate potential driving hazards and improve traffic safety and efficiency.

Ford will also localize production of the Mustang Mach-E’s GT performance edition in China, an unprecedented move by a global automaker to locally manufacture high-performance editions. The GT high performance edition will adopt a front and rear dual-motor layout, offering 3+ seconds to 60 mph just as it will here.

Ford is committing more than $11.5 billion in EV development through 2022. The localized production of Mach-E in China is a key step in the company’s “Best of Ford, Best of China” strategy to offer Chinese customers industry-leading smart vehicles and advanced technologies.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

With a few taps of the keyboard, a week long review of my personal choice, the 2021 Ford Mustang MachE - California Route 1 edition, has been scheduled for 04/19 - 04/26.

2021 Ford Mustang MachE Extended Range (305-miles of AER) - California Route 1 Monroney

[​IMG]

Detailed pricing is really simple and looks like this:

2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Extended Range RWD: $49,900.00

Exterior: Star White
    Interior: Black Onyx w/ Activex Seats

88 kWh Usable Battery
    Single-Speed Trans

Options

Equipment Group 200A
    Star White: $600

Vehicle & Options: $50,500.00
    Destination & Delivery: $1,100.00

Total MSRP: $51,600.00

One of the highlights is the glass roof. :)

2021 Ford Mustang MachE Fixed Panoramic Roof

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.