2021 Nissan LEAF/LEAF Plus Starts at $24,120/$30,720 incl $7,500 Fed Tax Credit

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 4, 2021.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Still a lot of scratch for a B-segment with just ok range.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 3, 2021

2021 Nissan LEAF SV

[​IMG]

The 2021 Nissan LEAF BEV is on sale now with a starting MSRP of $31,620 for the base S trim.

The 2021 Nissan LEAF is available in two powertrain variants, the LEAF and the extended-range LEAF PLUS. LEAF is equipped with a 40 kWh Li-Ion battery and 110-kW electric motor that delivers 147 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque while rated at 149 miles of range. It’s available in two trims, the S and SV.

Nissan LEAF PLUS features a larger-capacity 62-kWh Li-Ion battery with the subsequent increase in range of 226 miles. The LEAF PLUS’ electric motor is also upsized offering customers a more powerful 160 kW motor that produces 214 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque. LEAF PLUS is offered in three trims, the S PLUS, SV PLUS and SL PLUS.

MSRP for the 2021 Nissan LEAF and LEAF PLUS

S - 40 kWh/149-mile est. range - $31,620 USD + $20 over the 2020 MY
    SV - 40 kWh/149-mile est. range - $34,910 USD + $720 over the 2020 MY
    S PLUS - 62 kWh/226-mile est. range - $38,220 USD + $20 over the 2020 MY
    SV PLUS - 62 kWh/215-mile est. range - $40,470 USD + $720 over the 2020 MY
    SL PLUS - 62 kWh/215-mile est. range - $43,920 USD + $20 over the 2020 MY

Every 2021 LEAF includes a cabin for five that includes a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat. The rear cargo area provides a diminutive 30 cu. ft. of volume with the second-row seats folded down.

2021 Nissan LEAF SV Interior

[​IMG]

Nissan’s ProPILOT Assist is standard on the LEAF SL PLUS and optional on LEAF and LEAF SV PLUS.

The Option creates a $1,600 upcharge for the SV Plus and $1,690 for the S variants. The pkg. and includes the following Safety and Convenience HW:
    • ProPILOT Assist
    • Electronic parking brake
    • Intelligent Around View Monitor
    • Intelligent Driver Alertness
    • LED headlamps w/ LED signature DRLs
    • Auto-dimming rearview w/ HomeLink
    • 8-way power adjustable driver's bucket seat with 2-way adjustable lumbar

ProPILOT Assist is a hands-on driver assist system that combines Nissan's Intelligent Cruise Control and steering assist technologies.

Further enhancing the Nissan LEAF driving experience is the standard e-Pedal <-- I despise these one-pedal driving solutions, which allows the driver to start, accelerate, decelerate and come to a full stop and hold using only the accelerator pedal.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard while NissanConnect with Nissan Door to Door Navigation, and NissanConnect EV and services (telematics) allowing a remote connection to the vehicle to start a charge, monitor the state of a charge and turn on the heat or A/C before ever getting into the vehicle is optional.

Both the LEAF and LEAF PLUS can be charged up to 80 percent in 40-45 minutes using the quick charge port. Also available is a portable charging cable that can be plugged into either a 120-volt outlet or any 240-volt outlet.

[​IMG]

Every 2021 Nissan LEAF includes a limited Li-Ion battery warranty covering defects in materials or workmanship for 8-years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for the traction battery pack. Nissan also provides a limited warranty against battery capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for the first eight years or 100,000 miles for all models.

The real elephant in the room however is the 2021 Tesla Model 3 with its base 263-mile all-electric range, 0 to 60 time of just 5.3 seconds, top speed of 140 mph, plus a more advanced Auto Pilot for $36,490 + TTL. No Fed Tax Credits are available on the Tesla as it ran through its tax credit sunset phase back in 2018.

Nissan really needs their 300-mile AER Ariya compact CUV BEV. As in a year or two ago...

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Not everyone needs a CUV/SUV. The Leaf S with 40 KWH battery would work just fine for me.
    The Model 3 is VERY nice , but at $12,370 more , it's a different species of elephant.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Edwin, I think you'll be a candidate for a Toyota EV after Toyota has been out with their EV with solid-state batteries for a few years. :D You'll be enjoying your Civic for years to come...

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

You're probably right , Bill. I do trust Toyota.

BillLin likes this.
  5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

As a first-gen Leaf owner I find the new one compelling - especially the Plus. Not that I have any interest in upgrading right now, but good to know these will be in the used market in a few years. Definitely have saved a ton of money with ours, having bought it used for a ridiculously cheap price, and even with expensive MN electricity. Only maintenance has been a set of tires and the brakes - which need work after 5 years in this climate, regardless of how much you use them. Absolutely love the silent-but-slammin' power delivery at city speeds (obviously even better on the new one), and phenomenal grip in the snow for a 2WD car. The TC system on this car is silent magic. Just put your foot down and let the drivetrain sort out how much power to send (reacting far faster than your foot can) and where to send it.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.