Hot Deal! New 2020 Hyundai Ioniq SE PHEV-29 for Possibly Just $14,960 + TTL!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 24, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] One of the most efficient vehicles available can finally after 2-years of waiting be purchased for a super deal!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 23, 2020

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 Limited

[​IMG]

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV SE/SEL/Limited: $26,500/$29,500/$32,950 + $995 D&H. It is rated at 53/52/52 mpgUS city/highway/combined and 29-miles all-electric range from a full pack.

It was just over a year ago when Hyundai introduced its refreshed IONIQ lineup for the 2020 MY. Along with an updated exterior and interior design, the latest Hyundai SmartSense active safety features and driving assistance systems were added.

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 Overview

For the 2020 model year, the IONIQ received a new aerodynamic exterior and interior design and new segment first features including standard Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCW) and a Drivers Attention Warning (DAW) plus optional High Beam Assist (HBA), Highway Driving Assist and Lane Following Assist.

The Exterior design upgrades include a new mesh-type grille, new wheels and new side sill moldings.

Inside, the Ioniq received a 10.25” NAVI screen, new center LCD screen, new upper and lower instrument panel, new console upper cover, dark chrome instrument panel trim, touchscreen heating and cooling controls, customizable ambient lighting, and piano key controls.

The new IONIQ HEV and PHEV both feature the atkinsonized 104 hp and 109 lb.-ft. of torque 1.6L GDI I4. The HEV includes a 32-kW permanent magnet electric motor w/ max torque of 125 lb.-ft., powered by a Li-Po battery with 1.56 kWh of capacity located under the rear seats. The PHEV includes a 45-kW electric motor w/ the same max torque and powered by a large 8.9 kWh Li-Po battery. The HEVs 1.6L and electric motor delivers a total system output of 139 hp and 195 lb.-ft. of torque while the PHEV has a total system output of 156 hp and the same 195 lb.-ft. of torque.

Hyundai’s Blue Link allows remote start and control pre-conditioning using the MyHyundai smartphone app. The app also allows users to remote lock or unlock their doors, and find their vehicle in a crowded parking lot with Car Finder and remote horn and lights. PHEV owners can remotely check the status of their battery and can be scheduled via the app.

Blue Link in the new IONIQ arrives with cloud-based navigation, which offers free up-to-the-minute traffic information, POI searches, dealer locator as well as the ability to locate nearby charging stations. Google Maps are better however.

The Limited trims 10.25” split touch-screen can be edited to displayed widgets and icons plus be connected to 2 phones at the same time. Standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is included in all trims while the base SE/SEL system now shows through a new larger 8” display from the former 7” unit.

2020 Hyundai Ioniq Interior Refresh

Below the optional new widescreen 10.25” display is a redesigned control panel for heating and climate control along with new touch-type control buttons for HVAC control. Blue ambient lighting has been applied across the passenger-side lower dashboard and the center console.

Interior and Exterior Materials
    • Bio Thermal Plastic Olefin (TPO) is used on interior soft-touch surfaces
    • Sugar cane accounts for 25% of the raw materials
    • Natural Plastic
    • Recycled plastic combined with powdered wood and volcanic stone reduces weight by 20%
    • Bio Metallic Paint
    • Eco-friendly paint with ingredients extracted from soybean oil used to achieve polished metallic colors
    • Bio Fabric
    • Sugar cane accounts for 20% of the raw materials

2020 Hyundai Ioniq Exterior Refresh

Up front, a redesigned mesh-type radiator grille and updated front bumper design with a silver molding at the bottom. New anthracite gray trim seen on the rear bumper molding and DRL bezels add to its standout quality. The LED DRLs, as well as the new LED head- and taillamps for the SEL/Limited trims.

The IONIQ PHEV received a new 16” alloy while the IONIQ HEV received new 15 and 17” (Limited trim).

2020 Hyundai Ioniq Safety

The IONIQ now includes Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection with new Cyclist Detection ability and Driver Attention Warning as standard. Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) and High Beam Assist (HBA) also standard. Lane Following Assist, which helps keep the car in the middle of a lane is optional.

The radar Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go maintains a preset time gap to automatically stop and depart again according to traffic conditions. Additional options include Blind-Spot Collision Warning and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (standard on SEL and Limited PHEVs).

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV Factory Rebates

[​IMG]

2020 Hyundai Ioniq Trims and Pricing

So, what about the Hot Deal? Finally, Hyundai has added some big $s to the hood to move the PHEV. As in $5,500 Hyundai rebate good through 1/07/2021 for purchasers in all of the North Eastern states including MA, NY, CT, RI, NJ, and MD to name a few.

A quick look at about 100 dealers in the above states show Dealer discounts in the $1,000 to $2,500 range.

Add in the PHEVs Fed TC of $4,543 and you can possibly pickup a brand new 2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV SE for $14,960, the SEL for $17,960, and the Limited for just $21,400 + TTL. While we have reported on the Prius Prime PHEV-25 deals over the last 3 years, never have we actually seen an Ioniq PHEV worth posting as a Hot Deal!

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 vs 2020 Toyota Prius Prime PHEV-25

Comparing the two PHEV powerhouses finds both ride on a 106.3" wheelbase. The Ioniq however has more passenger and cargo volume 96.2/23.5 cu. ft. vs the Prime’s 91.5/19.6 cu. ft. respectively.

On the efficiency front, the Prius Prime’s 55/53/54 mpgUS is far superior than the 2 more mpg EPA rating would indicate whereas the Ioniq PHEV rated at about the right estimates.

The Ioniq PHEV offers 29-miles of all-electric range vs the Primes 25-mile rating. I would give the Ioniq the benefit of the doubt here and say it is worth approximately 3 more miles from full to flat. Charging an Ioniq PHEV and Prius Prime on an L2 rated at 3.3 kW sees the Ioniq PHEV take about 2 hours and 15-min whereas the Prime takes about 2-hours and 10-minutes.

Comfort wise, the Ioniq’s front seats are vastly more comfortable for a taller driver due to proper ergonomics including a longer lower seat cushion, longer seat track length, and a longer telescopic wheel reach. Moving out back, the Prime’s softer seat foams is far superior for rear seat passengers. The Ioniq’s rear hatch is larger by a good deal as the Prime’s Dual-Wave glass reduces the raised floor to glass height significantly.

Infotainment? The Ioniq PHEV w/ the std. 8” display on the SE/SEL is a generation ahead of the Prime as both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay work great from initial to final use. The Prime just received Apple Car Play last year and finally receives Android Auto for the 21 MY. The Prime’s remote control via Toyota app is not only MIA, it is a pos by comparison to Hyundai’s vastly superior remore control app.

Looks? The Prime looks better imho with its non-Prius grille treatment and dual-wave rear glass.

Pricing? The Ioniq’s lack of LEDs on the std. SE is very disappointing. Having to spend $3k for a lot < $3k worth of HW when moving from the SE to SEL is a tough pill to swallow but in the process, you also receive BSM and RCTA. Both are huge and cannot be equipped on the Prime until you move to the Uber expensive Limited trim.

All in, maybe $18k for a new 2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 SEL and $19k for a 2021 Toyota Prius Prime LE after the Dealership discounts, the upcoming $5k on the 2021 Prime rebate, possibly in NY only, sometime next month. On the back side of ownership, resale of the Prime holds an edge with a 65k mile 20 Prius Prime LE showing an $18k TIV in Good Condition. The Ioniq PHEV in SE trim yields just $15.1k while the SEL yields just $17k at the same miles and in the same condition.

With the resale TIVs worked out, the 2020 Ioniq PHEV-29 in SEL trim compares very favorably with the 2020 Prius Prime PHEV-29 in LE trim.

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 SE ($26,500 + $995 D&H) Standard Equipment:

Atkinsonized 1.6L I4 mated to a 6-Speed Dual Clutch AT
    Permanent magnet synchronous motor (44.5 kW)
    8.9 kWh Li-Po battery (360V)
    Charge port

[​IMG]

Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
    Electronic Stability Control (ESC) w/ Traction Control (TCS)
    Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
    4-wheel discs w/ ABS, EBFD, and Brake Assist

Paddle shifters

16" alloys w/ P205/55R16 tires
    Active grille shutters
    Auto projector headlamps
    LED DRLs
    LED taillamps
    Integrated rear spoiler w/ LED center HMSL

FCW w/ Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection
    LFA
    DAW
    RCC w/ Stop & Go
    EPB
    Front, side, side curtain & driver knee airbag(s)

Proximity key w/ push button start
    Bodycolor door handles w/ approach lights
    Power Locks & Windows w/ auto up/down driver
    Heated side mirrors
    Cloth seating w/ 6-way height-adjustable front seats
    Heated front seats
    Center console w/ armrest
    Front passenger seatback pocket, front and rear door map pockets
    Rear center armrest w/ cup holders
    60/40 split-folding rear seatback
    Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel w/ audio, cruise & smartphone controls
    Leather-wrapped wheel and shift knob
    Solar glass w/ windshield shade band
    Aero wiper blades
    Lower door side molding
    Illuminated vanity mirrors w/ sun visor extensions
    4.2-inch LCD instrument cluster display w/ hybrid display
    Dual auto climate
    TPMS w/ individual tire pressure indicator

8-inch central display <-- Nice!
    AM/FM/XM/HD Radio w/ USB input jacks + USB port in center console
    Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
    Bluetooth
    Rearview camera w/ dynamic backup guidelines <-- Far better than the Prius' static guidelines.

Tire Mending Kit (TMK) in lieu of temporary spare tire <-- This is trash just like the Prime. :(

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 SEL ($29,500 + $995 D&H) adds the following:

BSM w/ RCTA <-- Worth a few bucks but should have been std. on the SE trim
    Auto High Beam Assist <-- Works well
    LED headlamps <-- Std. on all Prius Prime trims
    Side mirrors incl LED turn signal indicators <-- Ok…
    Chrome DLO trim <-- Ok…
    Chrome interior door handles
    7-inch TFT LCD instrument cluster <-- It is a much better display than the SEs
    Auto-dimming rearview w/ Homelink <-- That is worth about $300
    Passenger auto up/down window <-- Ok…
    Qi Wireless charging <-- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay require wired connection

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29 Limited ($32,950 + $995 D&H) adds the following:

Front & Rear parking sensors
    Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
    Chrome exterior handles
    Power-folding side mirrors w/ puddle lamp
    Leather seats
    Seat Memory
    Console-mounted 2nd row air vents
    Brushed stainless steel door sill plates
    LED interior lamps
    Ambient interior light
    Cargo cover
    Navigation system w/ 10.25-inch color touchscreen display
    Harmon Kardon Audio w/ Clari-Fi
    Highway Driving Assist

The 2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV in SE trim is a rare bird indeed. I found one in Chris' haunting grounds, Hicksville, NY whereas SELs can be found in every state and from most every dealership.

2020 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV-29

[​IMG]

If I can pick up a very well equipped Ioniq PHEV in SE or SEL trim for just under $15k or $18k + TTL respectively... The price is right! Hmmm, I wonder? ;)

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

As mentioned, there are some 2020 Hyundai Ioniq SE PHEV-29s still on the ground but they are far and few between. I found this one and only one just off Long Island in Chris' home area of Hicksville, NY.

[​IMG]

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Hi Wayne, there's no mention of a heat pump heater so a little disappointing. We've been spoiled by the Prime...

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Bill:

Along with the Primes std.heat pump, the glass is optically superior and more resistant to scratches and chips. In addition, the Primes NVH is lower, the rear view over the trough of the dual wave rear glass is much better, and the carbon fiber rear hatch is a cool as heck talking point.

[​IMG]

The Primes std. LEDs are better than the base Ioniq SEs projectors. I am not sure if they are better than the SELs LEDs though?

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent, Jay and BillLin like this.
  5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, $15k (after tax credit, for those who qualify) for an Ioniq PHEV is pretty amazing. I like the updates for 2020. If I were in the market for a roadtrip-capable car right now, the Ioniq would be on my short list, though I prefer the non-PHEV version for its greater cargo capacity -- and for a road trip car I don't need the extra battery (I already have an EV for that). I'd certainly take an Ioniq over a Prius, for a number of reasons.

For a long time I disliked the idea of a dual-clutch transmission in a hybrid, but it's grown on me, knowing it enables a simpler operation and a one-motor design. And more importantly, Hyundai has proven it can match the economy of the Ford/Toyota PSD-based transmissions (as can series hybrids, which likewise Honda has now proven). Impressive.

xcel and BillLin like this.