All-new 11th Gen 2022 Honda Civic Prototype Revealed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 19, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Less angular and more BMW like than ever before.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 1, 2020

Honda provided its first glimpse of the all-new 11th-gen 2022 Civic that is expected to arrive just before summer of 2021. And like almost every new model from every manufacturer, it follows the tried-and-true playbook of being lower and wider.

The current 10th-gen was easily America's most popular car for the past four years. The 11th-generation Civic will build on that appeal with an even sportier, fun-to-drive new chassis, more powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains, multiple new Civic-first features and technologies, and further advances in active and passive safety features and performance.

2020 Honda Civic Exterior Design

[​IMG]

The Civic redesign is following Honda’s “Man-Maximum, Machine-Minimum” (M/M) philosophy. The styling, much more muted than the 10th gens numerous angular design elements, reminds me more of a BMW 3-series than ever before.

From the 10th Gens low height and low hip point, designers lowered the hood and front fenders. To improve interior visibility, the front roof pillars were moved rearward to place them more in the visual periphery, and relocating the side mirrors to the doors for a clearer view through the front side windows.

The new face of Civic features a new horizontal design while the profile shows the DLO moved rearward. The sharp horizontal shoulder, or C-line, carves a smoother arc from the front fender to the taillights. The new taillights appear as if they were borrowed from a 2011 Elantra and rightly so as that model was one of the best-looking C-segments ever produced.

2022 Honda Civic

[​IMG]
    An interior rendering.​

Moving inside, the all-new Civic receives a makeover with what Honda calls improved ergonomics with the most modern design elements.

Stretching the width of the dash is a honeycomb mesh accent which conceals the normally visually busy air vents. The 11th-generation will also introduce an all-digital driver's meter cluster and a new 9-inch full-HD Display Audio touchscreen mounted atop the low-set instrument panel.

Civics standard Safety direction continues with new active and passive safety systems, including an upgraded suite of Honda Sensing safety and driver-assistive technologies, and multiple new airbag designs.

2022 Honda Civic

[​IMG]
    Does it look like a 3-Series to you?​

The 11th-generation will continue Civic's legacy of being built in North America and, for the first time, Civic Hatchback will be manufactured in the U.S., at the company's Greensburg, Indiana plant.

Jay, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice. Where's my Fit Hybrid ?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

They really cleaned up the styling this time. Good for Honda on that. That's not enough, though, to sell me. They'd have to lose the CVT or offer a decent 6M on every trim. Acura uses a DCT with a torque converter. This is Honda's best auto. This is what Japan gets on their Civics also, I hear. That would work for me.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

I agree about the styling. Cleaned up and more Accord like than ever before.

2022 Honda Civic

[​IMG]

I am not a fan of the belt and cone CVTs for both drivability as well as reliability. Whose Belt and Cone CVT has not given customers headaches after a few tens of thousands of miles despite the decades of improvements? I am concerned with Honda's, Toyota's, especially Nissan's, and Hyundai's move towards maximizing efficiency at the lowest cost with them incorporated. I am also not a fan of the DCT any longer either. Ford and VW have had problems with them and of course the Elantra ECO TCO study in which it started to act up at just 60k miles and was nearing EOL at just 156k miles.

Given Toyota added the Prius' drivetrain to the Corolla for 2020, Hyundai added the Ioniq's to the 2021 Elantra, is the Insights ready for the 2022 Civics? What will happen to the slow selling Insight? The Ioniq and Insight drivetrains are not as efficient, as reliable, or provide nearly the seamless drivability as the Prius' drivetrain in the very unassuming and sparsely equipped Corolla LE Hybrid.

Honda Insight November 2020 and YTD Sales Results

Sales of 1,080 were down 22.7 percent (DSR basis) from the 1,579 sold in Dec. of 2019. YTD sales of 14,699 are down 32.9 percent (DSR Basis) from the 21,977 sold through the same period of 2019.

I am going to guess - a total guess on my part - the Insight nameplate will be quietly retired while the all-new 11th gen Civic receives the two motor drivetrain.

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Part of the use CVT's could be of the preference in the home market of Japan.

What about the current Insight sedan makes it different from the Civic, other than the hybrid system. I believed Honda went with the Insight name because of the last Civic hybrid's reputation.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Acura's DCT has been very reliable. The reason is that Acura uses the torque converter to do torque-multiplication duty--not the weak clutches of the DCT. So the torque converter gets the car underway and the DCT clutches perform light switching duty only. I believe the reason Honda isn't using this transmission on current North American Civics is to protect the Acura nameplate. In Japan, they have no Acura brand to protect and put their best auto in the Civic--the torque-converted DCT. My own Acura uses 5 pairs of clutches to lock and unlock gear pairs to their respective input and output shafts. They don't try to make these clutches do torque multiplication. A torque converter handles that. The arrangement is very strong and reliable. 220000 mi and counting on my trouble-free transmission.

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

One thing I really like about this new Civic's styling is the absence of tacky chrome doodads everywhere. I sure hope that fad is played out.

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Tacky chrome doodads have been repeatedly cycling in and out of fashion for many decades.

9. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

I thought about the Accord styling, too...

EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  10. Trollbait

Doesn't having a torque converter defeat the efficiency gains of a DCT over a step transmission?

Which model is it in? All the 2020 Acura's on Fueleconomy.gov are listed as automatics.

xcel, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

the DCTs may be considered automatics.

Screenshot_20201221-102930.png

xcel, Jay and Trollbait like this.
  12. Trollbait

Checked again, and Fueleconomy.gov has them listed as automated manuals. So is the 2018 Fiesta. DCT is an option, but I guess the manufacturers aren't using it for publicity reasons.

Of 2021's, only the ILX has the DCT.

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

And without the DCT , it's just an 8th gen Civic.