2020 Toyota Prius Prime Hot Deal: 2020 $5k Off and the 2021, $4k Off Retail!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 17, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The Lowest Total Cost of ownership vehicle we have ever driven now arrives with even more value!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – December 16, 2020

2021 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]

With my own 2020 Toyota Prius Prime piling on miles – 66,075 miles since March 4, as fast as anyone dare, another bargain came across my desk that may prove to offer a nice tax break and extreme automotive value as 2020 comes to a close…

Let me recap the 2020 Prime’s attributes over those 65k miles from our Hot Deal – New 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE for $16,529 + TTL and specifically, the 65k mile update.

And just like that, 9-months and 8-days later, the 2020 Prius Prime has 65,637 miles on her clock.

2020 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]

While the Pacific Coast creates hero shots, there are times when dawn over the mountains to the east is just as noteworthy. ;)

[​IMG]
    lmpg = 80.9 mpg indicated with 65,000 miles on gasoline and 640 miles on electricity. Actual mpg = 80.1 mpg at a 6.1 percent lifetime offset or 75.2 mpg on gasoline.​

With as many miles as are on it now, approximately every other or third tank sees the lmpg climb by .1 mpg so I expect to see the lmpg at 81.0 mpg within a month. I have now charged it a total of 17.9 times over its lifetime -15.9 on free L2s, for a total "free miles" of ~ 640 miles.

Gross earnings over those 65,637 miles including the 3,500 mile drive between Boston and San Diego with a few days in IL. Working miles = 62,137 while gross working earnings = $77,238.08 between March 4th and Dec. 12, 2020 so she is earning at a rate of just over $1.24 per mile all-in.

Repair expenses now include (2) flat tire repairs at $201 plus a $130 tow that I was reimbursed $100 for. Since the last update, I have added a new set of Bridgestone Ecopia's for $560 for a total of $791.

Fuel costs include 640-miles of free opportunity charging, the first tank was a free dealer fill, and 64,487 miles on 857.5 gallons at an avg. cost of $2.583 per gallon = $2,214.92.

Maintenance costs to date? The first 25k miles were on Toyota so $120 for (5) 5 qt, jugs of Mobil1 0W-16 (I still have 23.5 qts. left to go), $38 for (10) Toyota Genuine Oil Filters (I still have 6 left), and three labor charges for $57 incl. tip so far. Nothing else. Not even a bulb although I will have to change out the cabin and air filter here shortly. $215.00 all in.

Insurance: $1,023/year for $0 deductible liability incl. towing.

And what do those working miles entail? People, medical products, home repair, Landscaping, and general supplies.

Regarding another strength, if you live in or around seriously steep foothills and mountains, the Prius Prime pays dividends like nothing else I have driven including the Prius from which it is based. I picked up a passenger in Carlsbad, CA just off the Pacific Coast and drove 40-miles due east up the face of Mt Palomar. Her drop-off was at a home with a beautiful overlook at 5,800' ASL including a small amount of melting snow accumulation. What I want to focus on however was not the climb and descent but the descent from 5,800' ASL with 0 percent SoC to begin that ended at 78 percent SoC at the 400' ASL elevation. That was a nice return with an overall 80.2 mpg RT when I arrived back at home. The large pack paid back dividends as no std. Hybrid could provide that amount of regen to use for tens of miles after the fact while returning to the Pacific Coast.

And yes, you can travel from the beach to snow and back to the beach on the same day in California as shown. Well, a little snow maybe as it was still early November when I took this request and pics below. ;)

2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is earning her keep and doing quite well on the balance sheet with $77,238.08 gross earnings and $4,243.92 in M&R, Fuel, and Insurance expenses. The KBB depreciation indicates I have lost $2,020 in depreciation over the 65k miles given the $20,058 out the door price incl. TTL and Reg and the $18,038 KBB est. TIV in Good Condition as posted below.

[​IMG]

KBB TIV with 65,400-miles in Good Condition: $18,038​

The all-encompassing expense of $6,263.92 over 65,637 miles comes to just $0.095/mile. Remember the 2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco completed its from new to 156.2k mile Trade-in TCO "Tour of Duty" at $0.162/mile so the 2020 Toyota Prius Prime is indeed performing beyond expectations to date when it comes to making a business case for its use in the gig economy, as a tried-and-true courier, or simply as the vehicle you would drive back and forth as a daily commuter.

The front driver and passenger glass is absolutely pristine as it is the same as the Lexus products. Water beads off the side glass with no treatment added although it does generate more static than the rear driver and passenger glass so dirt films stick to it.

As I have mentioned in all the updates, the Seating ergo is still barely acceptable but the drivetrain continues to be an absolute joy. It does exactly what it is supposed to on every downhill with an ICE shutdown, every ascent just below PWR can be made up with the fee glide or regen on the way down the other side, and I run A/C and now a slight amount of heat from the heat pump albeit in San Diego, it is only absolutely necessary with people onboard or when traveling from 5-miles off the coast or further inland. Maybe 90 percent of the time it is running and the std. heat pump has paid for itself multiple times over.

Meet the 2021 Toyota Prius Prime derived from the world’s best-selling hybrid. Add a 25-mile range EV mode and you have the Prius Prime with a 640-mile driving range.

New for 2021, the Prius Prime upgrades Safety Sense-P to Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. This suite of driver-assist technologies is highlighted by automatic emergency braking and includes:
    • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian and Bicyclist Detection
    • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
    • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
    • Automatic High Beam
    • Lane Tracing Assist
    • Road Sign Assist
    Notice the Prime still does not include RCTA or BSM that are std. on all 2020 and 2021 Prius’ besides the L Eco trim. :(

The big news as we have reported a few times, the Prius Prime LE with the 7” display received Android Auto compatibility for 2021. The large 11.6” screen still lacks and completely wastes what could have been a very nice upgrade for owners the Continent over.

As documented for thousands of miles, the efficiency is blow out great. In hybrid mode, the Prius Prime is rated at 55/53/54 city/highway/combined mpgUS.

And the real reason for this news story. Through Jan 4th, 2021, NY, possibly NJ, and possibly CT area dealers are offering up to $5k off MSRP via stackable Toyota Rebates.

2020 Prime, $5k off. 2021 Prime, $4k off

[​IMG]
    NY area dealerships are offering huge rebates…​

On my own 2020, I received a $3,300 off MSRP deal and $3,500 rebate plus $750 Uber driver discount. I have not tried to shop a Prime through a NY area dealership but I did purchase a 2012 Prius PHEV from a Bronx area dealer and it went through with little fanfare other than showing up.

Prius Prime Design

The Prius Prime is based off the Prius liftback but includes much better looking front and rear fascias, bumpers, and lighting systems. Ultra-low profile LED headlamps and the large acrylic grille simply look better.

Out back, the Prime’s “dual wave” rear window combines an exotic look with aerodynamic efficiency and removes the rearview split view problem of the std. liftbacks. A full-width LED rear combination lamp strip adds a unique look at night. A full-width aero glass panel below the rear spoiler, plus a standard backup camera also aid rearward visibility.

Automatic grille shutters reduce drag by closing when airflow to the radiator is not needed. Another unique detail, the 15-inch alloys feature aerodynamic covers painted in a two-tone scheme.

The Prime’s energy-conserving quad LED headlamps with Auto High beams provide a bright look ahead when the going gets dark.

The rear independent suspension design allows a 19.8 cu. ft. of cargo volume. I would estimate there is about 50 to 55 cu. ft. of cargo volume with the rear seats folded.

[​IMG]

Along with hot stamped high strength steel and aluminum components, the Prime includes a unique carbon-fiber rear liftgate, which also makes opening and closing almost effortless. A total empty mass of 3,365 lbs for the LE trim – 3,375 for the XLE and Limited - is about as light as they come for a PHEV of any range.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime Drivetrain

The Prius Prime’s 1.8L Atkinson-cycle, I4 used in all current Prius models, achieves 40-percent-plus thermal efficiency thanks to a high compression ratio of 13.0:1, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system with a cooler, a smaller, lighter, quieter hybrid system water pump, and an exhaust heat recirculation system that helps speed engine warm-up.

On the highway, in EV mode, the Prius Prime cruises in silence. It remains a quiet cruiser in all drive modes thanks to the sound-insulating laminated windshield and front door glass, comprehensive sound insulation measures, and the optimized aero shape that all help to subdue wind noise.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime HVAC is more than noteworthy

The Prius Prime ensures cabin comfort with heated resistance heated front seats and an automatic climate control system with a quiet electric compressor. As many of the latest pure BEVs still use resistive elements for cabin heating to reduce cost at the expense of range, the Prime includes an honest to goodness heat pump that allows the system to cool or heat the cabin while driving in EV mode at the highest efficiency. The heat pump can function without the engine running in weather down to 14 degrees F, where a conventional heat pump system could only function with the temperature above 32 F. I can vouch for the system in that it heats quickly even with a cold powertrain.

A battery warmer activates at the end of a charge to keep the battery temperature above 32 degrees F, helping to ensure that it can deliver optimal EV performance and range when the vehicle is started again.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime Pricing and Trims
    • 2021 Prius Prime LE $28,220, up $470 over the 2020 MY
    • 2021 Prius Prime XLE $30,000, up $350 over the 2020 MY
    • 2021 Prius Prime Limited $34,000 up $350 over the 2020 MY
    D&H adds $995 to the MSRP listed above.

The Prius Prime is offered in LE, XLE and Limited grades, each with successively more amenities. Prius Prime LE starts fabric-trimmed heated front seats with armrests and seatback pockets; power windows with auto up/down; smart-flow climate control system with pollen filtration; integrated navigation and backup camera; dual sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors, and heated power outside mirrors.

The standard SofTex-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel integrates controls for audio, climate, the Multi-Information Display and Bluetooth hands-free phone. Additional user tech includes the Smart Key System (on driver side) with Push Button Start. To power devices, there’s a 12V auxiliary power outlet up front, and another in the rear, plus one front USB power outlet.

The XLE adds a large but mostly useless 11.6” vertical display. The Smart Key System with Push Button Start controls both front doors and hatch vs the LEs drivers side only door. It also includes wireless cell phone charging for Qi-compatible devices using the console charging pad.

SofTex-trimmed heated front seats with armrests and seatback pockets, and 8-way power adjustable seat with power lumbar support round out the interior upgrades. If only that 11/6” display was Android Auto capable, the XLE would be the trim to own. Without, it may as well be a no display as that is how poor the Toyota infotainment solutions are vs the rest of the industry.

The Limited adds a heated wheel, remote climate control system, rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers, and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink. LED fog lights and a color head-up display (HUD) are both gimmicky imho.

The Limited includes Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. The LE and XLE should have included those as well given they are std. on the base Prius’ in those same trims.

The Limited also includes an Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) with Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA).

2021 Toyota Prius Prime Infotainment

The LE includes standard Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa as well as a SiriusXM through a 7.0” central display. The AM/FM/XM/HD system through six speaker audio sounds better than the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen offerings including the high end JBLs and is perfectly fine for the average consumer. An AUX jack; USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control; two additional USB 2.1A ports for the rear passengers; advanced voice recognition; hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth, plus Siri Eyes Free mode, and an integrated backup camera display with static backup guidelines round out the base system.

The XLE and Limited’s 11.6” display while fast and bright, is useless without AA or as most OEMs are moving to, wireless AA and ACP.

The Limited adds JBL Audio including 10 JBL GreenEdge speakers.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime Safety

Prius Prime includes 10 supplemental restraint system airbags, including driver and front passenger; seat mounted side airbags; front and rear side curtain airbags; a driver knee airbag; a front passenger seat cushion airbag; and two rear side airbags.

In addition to TSS 2.0, the 2021 Prius Prime is equipped with Toyota’s Star Safety System with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), and Smart Stop Technology (SST).

The IIHS has provided the 2020 Prius Prime with an IIHS Top Safety Pick. NHTSA has not tested the Prime but has given the std. Prius a 5-star rating.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime Warranty

Toyota’s 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and against corrosion with no mileage limitation.

The hybrid battery is covered for 10 years from date of first use or 150,000 miles whichever comes first. The coverage is transferable to subsequent owners, a boon to resale value.

The hybrid components retain coverage of 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. In applicable states hybrid-related component coverage is 15 years/150,000 miles with the exception of the hybrid battery, which is covered for 10 years/150,000 miles.

The Prius Prime also comes standard with Toyota Care, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Prius models include three years of 24-hour roadside assistance from date of purchase.

All-in, an estimated $0.095/mile TCO in California, no unusual repairs while performing in the toughest duty cycle imaginable, and a retail price of $29,484 incl. carpeted mats not incl TTL. Taking off the $4k Toyota rebate, $4,502 Fed TC, $750 Uber rebate and a possible $3k dealer discount before year end, an OTD price of $17,232 plus TTL.

[​IMG]
    At the reservoir in San Luis Obispo.​

If the $5k or higher Rebate appears on the 2021 in the new year, I may sell mine and go get another one year newer with no miles Prime for myself! How about Magnetic Blue yet again? ;)

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I thought that electric power was so pricey in CA that it was cheaper not to plug in and just run it as a hybrid. I guess if you can get the electricity for "free" the PHEV is the way to go, but if you have to pay and are not eligible for any govt. rebates then HEV would be better. The HEV is quite a bit lighter with quite a bit more cargo capacity.

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Jay;

The Prime is a lot less expensive to purchase than the std. Prius if you qualify for the Fed tax credit. If you have paid more than $4,502 in Fed taxes but earn less than a few hundred thousand and most do, that comes right off the top.

Wayne

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

My understanding for the federal credit is that the govt. doesn't cut you a check. Rather, if you owe $1000 at the end of the year, you can keep that $1000 of the $4500 EV rebate (if that's what the rebate is for that model). If you owed $0 at the end of the year or had an income tax refund coming back, your max EV rebate is $0. Even when I was paying $40k plus/year in income taxes, I seldom owed more than $1500 at the end of the year so that would be my max EV rebate. I think most people owe very little at the end of the year or expect to get some back and these will be disappointed to learn their EV rebate is nothing or next to nothing. I see nothing in the federal code that caps income for the EV buyer and that the big EV rebates go to the bigger earners. Other restrictions are that the vehicle must be new and bought outright, not leased.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Hi Jay,

I disagree with your understanding of the tax code. The amount that you owe in the context of the tax credit is on the full amount of tax owed for a given adjusted gross income, not how well your withholding was done to minimize any difference that you would get back in the spring or pay out of pocket. The words in the article you referenced also talk about the amount you owe, but again, that's full tax due versus difference between tax due and withholdings. Hope this helps...

We have a tax accountant do our taxes, but that's only because it gets complicated with my wife's real estate business. Unlike some wealthy people who manage to owe little or no taxes, we do usually owe more than these EV credits require for full benefit.

edit: Oh, right, you don't receive a check from the government. You would owe less taxes when you file for and receive the EV credits when you file your tax return. So if you have a perfectly done withholding, then you'd end up with a tax refund.

2nd edit: I do believe you have to itemize your tax return in order to get the EV tax credit but I may be mistaken. I wish I could just file the easy version online.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Jay and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Jay:

If you have a $4,502 tax liability - you paid that much - regardless if you receive a refund or not, you will receive $4,502 back or taken off what you owe. If you paid $4,502 and you would normally receive nothing back, you now are owed $4,502 as a refund.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

I did a few quick searches for Prius Prime inventory in NJ, NY City, and CT since this is the region/states where the $5k/$4k rebates appear to be based. There are still a few 20s but they are becoming very scarce at the 30 or so dealerships I checked. There are a number of 21s as expected. I would just wait and see if the 21s receive the $5k discount in the February/March time timeframe and buyers taking that deal instead. Model Year matters when it comes to resale unless you drive the wheels off of it.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well, if we agree that the federal govt. does not cut you a check, then all you can claim is your tax liability at the end of the year. A salaried worker that earns $100k/year and pays $30k/year in taxes and has nearly all that amount withheld from his monthly paychecks such that he has a tax liability of 0 at the end of the year is eligible for a federal EV credit of 0. A person could arrange his taxes such that he owes more money at the end of the year but that arrangement has to take place in the year he purchases the car. He can't claim his EV credit in another tax year or roll-over taxes to another year. Also, if you don't withhold enough taxes, you are in danger of getting a nastygram from the IRS with a penalty attached. (Don't ask me how I know :))

I still think most BEV and PHEV buyers will be surprised (not in a good way) at the actual amount they can claim of that big EV credit. You should check with an accountant before relying on that credit.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

The leasing company gets the tax credit, and most apply its value to the lease.
    A tax credit applies to the tax liability before any payments. Withholdings are payments. If withholdings means $0 owed at the end of the year, you will get a refund equal to the credit or liability, whichever is lower. You can adjust withholdings to account for the credit(or deductions), if you don't like giving the government a free loan.

For 2020, a single person with $40,000 in income will have a tax liability of $3114 with the standard deduction. $50,000 = $4314. $60,000 = $6,262.

If your taxes aren't high enough to take full advantage of the credit, you might have options to increase what you owe. Some people have converted a standard IRA to a Roth the year they got a plug in for instance, for instance.

BillLin, xcel and Jay like this.
  10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Link trollbait? What you are saying is at odds with a couple of other sources I've read.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  11. xcel

Hi Jay:

It is in the tax code. The Fed Credit is yours regardless if you have to pay, if you have a refund, or you break even. If you have a $5,000 tax liability and paid $0 or $10k towards that tax, you will receive the tax credit back as a check for $4,502 plus whatever else the Govt. owes as a refund.

If you owe $0 after paying at least $4,502 in tax liability, you receive a check for $4,502.

If you owe $4,502 in tax liability, you now owe $0.

If you owe $10k in tax liability, you now only owe $5,498.

You must have at least $4,502 in tax liability for the year to claim the entire amount. There are upper income limits that reduce or negate the Tax Credit as well.

I have been through this 3 times now.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wanna do a 4th , lol ? I understand it. Before I buy a PHEV , I need to get electricity updated in my garage.
    Solar panels on my roof is a no-brainer , Tesla Powerwall is a good idea. Suddenly , the BEV/PHEV is
    looking pretty costly. Short-term.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

https://www.irs.gov/credits-and-deductions

A person's tax amount isn't set until they file. Withholdings are a prepayment to that amount, but the official payment on the books isn't set until the year end filing. Then they are applied, with tax credits being applied first, like a gift card.

Tax credits existing before hybrids. If they applied after any prepayments, no one would be withholding.
    Solar panels don't require a plug in car, and are likely a good idea without one.
    If you don't trust your garage outlet with electric mowers, snowblowers, large power tools, vacuums, etc. you need to fix it even if you don't get a plug in.
    On Level 1, drawing 12 amps, plug ins charge 40 miles, on average, over 8 hours. Enough for nearly every PHEV available, and even BEVs for many people. I'm planning on something like a Bolt on Level1. My commute is 60 miles, but a 200+ mile pack has a reserve I can charge up over the weekend.

14. xcel

Hi All:

I suspect the current NY Rebate of $4k for the 21s to increase to $5k shortly after the new year to match the leftover 20s $5k rebate. There are not many 2020s on lots in NY, NJ, or CT in my quick look.

I have been considering another long term TCO study on the 21 Lexus ES 300h with black exterior/interior, 21 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid, or 21 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid/Prime. If the $5k Prius Prime rebate hits NY and I can get one of the dealers to take $2,750 or more below MSRP, I could essentially sell my 20 with 66,666 miles as of this morning for the same price I could pick up a brand new 21 with Android Auto including CA TTL from NY State. The $4,502 tax credit will be very welcome this year and I will probably need another next year as well. :)

2021 Lexus ES 300h

[​IMG]

2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid

[​IMG]

2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime

[​IMG]

2021 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

And this just showed up for Californian's...

2021 Toyota Prius Prime - $3k rebate

[​IMG]

$2k and $1k off plus Californian's purchasing in the state receive a state $1k incentive for a total of $4k off. This matches the NY $4k off 21's. The question is when NY moves to $5k off, will the California incentives increase to $4k or not?

Wayne

16. xcel

Hi All:

I just took my 4th ride up and back down Mount Palomar at 5,600+ ft ASL. With 0 percent SOC at the top, a low or mid speed - 20 or 25 mph, descent down the switchbacks yields approximately 80 percent SoC by the time I reach the 900' ASL mark. A 30 mph or higher descent yields less than 75. These results make sense as you are beginning to waste the potential on aero drag at 40 + mph on the non-switchback portions and the C-rate is so darn high there is possibly a lot of heat generated vs the smaller C-rate/slower fill/slower speed descent.

And whenever there are a few hours to burn, I had to drive back up to bring the customer home, there are free charging stations at an off the beaten path casino or these free L2 and L3 stations at the intersection of I-15 and CA76...

[​IMG]
    Taking the opportunity to drink some electrons earlier today.​

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

As expected, the 2021's now have $5k off all over the East Coast including the states of NY, NJ, MA and RI!

2021 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]

The deal is $4k off plus another $1k off if you finance. I am not sure that you have to finance the whole amount, a specific minimum, or for a certain period of time?

Back in 2018 when I “Hot Dealed” the new 2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco for $13,800 + TTL, to receive an additional $500 off that vehicle, I had to finance a minimum of $10k for a minimum of 3-months. My first payment of $9,900 removed essentially any finance charges and I paid off the final $100 over the next two months to satisfy the $500 rebate for Financing.

All in, the 2021 Toyota Prius Prime LE retails for $29,215 including either All-weather or carpeted mats, and the $995 D&H charge.

With the $5k in Toyota rebates, up to $3,300 dealer retail discount (what I received off retail on the 2020), and $750 Uber Driver Rebate, a 21 Toyota Prius Prime can be picked up for possibly as low as $9,050 off retail or $20,165 with state tax based on the $25,915, + your local states Title/registration, License and any SMOG requirements for example.

Taking the $4,502 Fed Tax credit from your 2021 Fed tax liability - if you qualify, brings the OTD cost of a brand new 2021 Toyota Prius Prime LE for as low as $15,663 including mats + TTL.

That is one hell of a deal. And I mean one hell of a deal coming from an owner of a 2020!!!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

On the Jan 6, Toyota in California finally came around too. $4k in rebates plus the CVRP takes it to $5k off retail. As mentioned in previous Prius Prime Hot Deals, CA dealership will not discount off retail to anywhere near what the East Coast dealerships will. $3,300 off retail from Prime in Boston on our last 2020 Toyota Prius Prime Hot Deal purchase for example vs max of just $1,900 from the few I contacted in the state of California back then. This month for a 2021, $2,700 off retail is the best I have found locally to date. Californians are provided an additional $1k through the states Clean Vehicle Rebate Program (CVRP) with purchases made from a Toyota dealership within the state.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime - California $4k rebate

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

As I am getting closer to a decision, the 20 Prius Prime continues to pile on miles. At just under 72,000 miles, it is showing up in the KBB TIVs. Good and Very Good condition show $17 to $17.3k. Given the great condition it is in, I have no qualms about selling it Private Party which KBB is showing at $19,600 to $20,000 in Good and Very Good Condition.

KBB TIV - 2020 Toyota Prius Prime LE

[​IMG]
    72k miles in Good Condition.​

If a TIV value offer were provided from some local dealerships, the 2021 is being offered at $2,750 below retail, the OTD price incl. TTL would come in $29,500 - $2,750 dealer disc., - $4k Toyota Rebates, - $1k CA State Tax Rebate, - $750 Uber driver rebate, - $4,502 Fed TC, + (0.075 * $26,750) $2,007 CA State Tax + $300 in TL expenses for an OTD cost of $18,805.

A lot of "IFs, in the TIV and actual dealership prices listed above of course.

Wayne

20. xcel

Hi All:

I received a call back from one of the non-competitive local dealerships I approached a week ago, Norm Reeves Toyota San Diego. Before I could get a word out, he stated his previous quote was not nearly competitive enough and of course asked what was the best I have received. He said he could do better than the $2,800 below retail plus all the other giveaways not attributed to the dealership - $4k Toyota rebate, $1k California Clean Vehicle Rebate, $750 Uber Driver/Toyota rebate, and the Fed $4,502 Tax Credit. Tuesday or Wednesday is when I begin to shop in earnest.

2021 Toyota Prius Prime

[​IMG]
    While Super Sonic Red is the most attractive color imho, Blue Magnetism has no $425 color upcharge and offers the same TIV at EOL.​

I sure wish I could get the Super Sonic Red with the SofTex seats in the LE trim. The XLE/Limited trims head units through the worthless 11.6" portrait screen still does not offer Android Auto. :(

We will see how many of these local dealerships are going to pull the non-sense that dealerships always do or if they will follow through with my own tried and true practice of doing everything by e-mail as we have with vehicle purchases from NY City, North Kingstown, RI, and Boston, MA over the years.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.