Bridgestone -- World's First Polymer that Bonds Rubbers and Resins on the Molecular Level

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 14, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] I have not heard of a commercial application for it yet but maybe soon?

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – August 14, 2020

Last November, Bridgestone introduced the world's first polymer that bonds rubbers and resins on the molecular level. They call it SUSYM. Bridgestone wants to increase recognition of SUSYM and encourage its use as a next-generation polymer material in order to make contributions in various fields that exceed the scope of use as a tire material.

Me? I would like to see it used for tire material.

According to Bridgestone, the name SUSYM represents a combination of the words "sustain," "symphony," and "symbiosis" that encapsulates the meanings of these words.

SUSYM is the next step in the evolution of the High Strength Rubber with high levels of durability found in conventional rubber coupled with substantially higher levels of performance with regard to (1) difficulty of opening holes (puncture resistance), (2) fixability (recyclability, repairability), and (3) resistance to low temperatures (low-temperature impact resistance).

SUSYM is capable of enhancing performance in these areas while maintaining the flexibility of rubber and durability of resin. These features make SUSYM highly applicable to various fields other than tires. SUSYM provides a high level of durability and resistance to tear/separate vs conventional rubber and is therefore capable of meeting or exceeding basic tire performance targets while using fewer resources. This material is also recyclable.

Proprietary characteristics of SUSYM include:
    1. Difficulty to puncture - SUSYM is resistant to punctures when strong forces are applied to a single point, although it may change shape. The company anticipates this feature will result in SUSYM being used for various applications other than high-strength rubber and tire materials.

2. Fixability (recyclability, repairability) - Even if SUSYM materials are punctured, holes can be easily repaired by applying heat. Therefore, the company expects SUSYM will be used as a new rubber material that can be recycled multiple times even if damaged.

3. Resistance to low temperatures (low-temperature impact resistance) - Conventional rubber hardens and becomes brittle at low temperatures, making it easy to break through impacts. SUSYM maintains the flexibility of rubber even at low temperatures, creating resistance to impacts and giving this material the potential to be used under low temperatures.
    So why all the tire posts? I am simply interested in tires. ;)

Jay and BillLin like this.