Hyundai Recasts the IONIQ Nameplate as a Standalone EV Centric Brand

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Aug 10, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 2 CUV EVs and a Sedan EV were announced with a CUV the first out of the gate starting in early 2021.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – August 9, 2020

Earlier this evening, Hyundai revealed an update to its near term product strategy with the launch of the standalone IONIQ brand dedicated to BEVs. This is Hyundai’s latest marketing push into electrified mobility.

Under the IONIQ brand, Hyundai will leverage its EV engineering to introduce three new dedicated models over the next four years. The creation of the IONIQ brand is in response to fast-growing market demand -- aka Tesla success -- and accelerates Hyundai’s plan to compete in the global EV marketplace.

Hyundai promises to combine its current EV capabilities with future innovations that combine design, technologies and services to integrate in-car and out-of-car experiences for a new experience in vehicle ownership.

Rebirth of IONIQ

Hyundai introduced the term IONIQ with Project IONIQ, a long-term R&D project focused on eco-friendly mobility. Based on the 2016 project, Hyundai introduced the IONIQ, the world’s first and only model to offer a choice of three electrified powertrain options – HEV, PHEV and BEV – within a single body type. Now, IONIQ represents Hyundai’s growing commitment to sustainability and automotive innovation.

IONIQ 5 / IONIQ 6 / IONIQ 7

Hyundai will be launching a range of numerically named EVs under the new brand, with the even numbers used for sedans and the odd numbers for SUVs.

The first model under the IONIQ brand will be the IONIQ 5 midsize CUV that will launch in early 2021. IONIQ 5 is based on the concept EV ‘45’, which Hyundai unveiled at the International Motor Show (IAA) 2019 in Frankfurt as a homage to its very first concept car. IONIQ 5’s designers took inspiration from the past and integrated it with cutting-edge parametric pixels, a unique design element that Hyundai designers will continue to incorporate into future IONIQ models.

In 2022, Hyundai will introduce IONIQ 6 sedan, which is based on the company’s latest concept EV ‘Prophecy’, unveiled in March; followed by IONIQ 7, a large SUV in early 2024. Prophecy’s iconic exterior design is characterized by its aerodynamic silhouette.

Hyundai IONIQ EV Lineup Renderings

[​IMG]

Hyundai E-GMP platform

IONIQ models will sit on an Electric Global Modular Platform, known as E-GMP, that will enable fast charging capability and ample driving range. Hyundai did not even hint about an all-electric range or performance targets during the announcement.

The EV-dedicated platform will offer highly adjustable seats, wireless connectivity and unique features such as a glove box designed as drawers.

Hyundai's Mid-term Strategy through 2025

Hyundai recently announced a tall order in which it expects to sell 1 million BEVs and take 10 percent share to become a leader in the global EV field by 2025. Many have tried and nobody other than Tesla has succeeded in growing massive volumes in the EV market to this extent.

Under Strategy 2025, Hyundai aims to become the world's third-largest automaker of eco-friendly vehicles by 2025, with 560,000 BEV sales in addition to FCEV sales.

Hyundai has celebrated the launch of IONIQ by turning the London Eye into a giant letter “Q” using electric lights just before the official reopening of the famous attraction.

By announcing the arrival of IONIQ, Hyundai’s light installation heralds a new era of electrified mobility. What happens to the current slow selling Ioniq HEV/PHEV/BEV lineup? Nobody outside of Hyundai really knows?

Vehicle || Jul-20 || Jul-19 || % Change || 2020 YTD || 2019 YTD || % Change
    Ioniq__||_1,826_||_2,891_||_-36.8%__||__7,264___||_10,490__||_- 30.8%

2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV

[​IMG]
    A personal favorite for all the right reasons. ;)

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  2. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

My wife loves her Ioniq!

Will the CEV be available in the US?

xcel, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

They will be darned certain to sell an SUV/CUV here before
    a proper sedan. And liftbacks may die.

And it MUST have a 500 mile range.
    Just kidding. 150 miles is plenty for me.
    Are you listening , Hyundai ?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

Cost & ability to mount my used wheels & tires on the Ionic attract me. Outside of that, the Tesla 3 is the best of the bunch..... except when you pay for it & when the Tesla has problems.

5. litesong

litesong litesong

Here in Western Washington state, I would love a 500 mile range. I could top the EV up on free electricity, east of the Cascade Mnts & make it to Spokane, then back to the free electricity & then home.

6. xcel

Hi All:

Hyundai revealed the above teaser video for the upcoming IONIQ 5, the first dedicated EV in the new IONIQ lineup brand launching in early 2021.

Based on Hyundai’s ‘45’ EV concept, IONIQ 5 will be the first car mated with the recently revealed Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), a dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV) architecture.

The 30-second video, titled ‘The New Horizon of EV,’ takes inspiration from the all-new IONIQ 5’s yet-to-be-revealed design details, showing pixels and dots converging in a white space representative of a new era of EV.

The IONIQ 5 will be highlighted with three ‘extras’ to be offered by the all-new model. ‘Extra Power for Life’ calls attention to IONIQ 5’s vehicle-to-load (V2L) bi-directional charging capability. ‘Extra Time for You’ highlights its fast-charging capability. ‘Extraordinary Experiences’ hints at the BEV’s soon-to-be-announced array of features.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

Hyundai Motor Company today unveiled the first teaser image of the highly anticipated IONIQ 5 midsize CUV, the first model in its IONIQ dedicated BEV lineup brand.

Hyundai Ioniq 5

[​IMG]

IONIQ 5 will be the first vehicle mated with Hyundai’s Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), an innovative system made exclusively for next-generation battery electric vehicles that will launch a new era of clean mobility for the company.

IONIQ 5’s distinctive and innovative design provides a unique experience that can only be enjoyed in dedicated BEVs, suggesting a fundamental shift in design approach.

Hyundai Ioniq 5

[​IMG]

IONIQ 5’s signature design elements include Parametric Pixels, the smallest unit of digital imaging, as well as its eco-friendly Color Material Finish (CMF) direction that connects the analogue with digital emotions, showcasing the IONIQ brand’s timeless design value.

IONIQ 5’s front end is adorned with arrays of pixel-inspired lights suggestive of the digital technology within. IONIQ 5 is also the first Hyundai vehicle to feature a clamshell hood that spans the entire width of the car, thus minimizing panel gaps and creating a clean and high-tech overall look.

Aero-optimized wheels further echo the Parametric Pixel design theme, offered in a super-sized 20-inch diameter, the largest rims ever fitted to a Hyundai EV. These complete IONIQ 5’s perfected proportions, optimized for Hyundai’s new signature dedicated EV architecture.

Hyundai Ioniq 5

[​IMG]

Hyundai Motor has also released four teaser videos to spark curiosity about the new model, each presenting viewers with a sneak peek at IONIQ 5’s core technologies, raising expectations for the company’s dedicated BEV lineup brand and its first entry.

Three ‘Ultimate Camping’ videos show a camper using various electrical appliances powered by IONIQ 5’s Vehicle to Load (V2L) technology that functions as a general power supply (110/220V). In each video, the camper is seen using IONIQ 5’s 3.5KW of V2L-supplied power to roast a turkey in a large oven, listen to music on high-end audio speakers, and exercise on a treadmill—all at a camping site.

The ‘5 Min Challenge’ video highlights IONIQ 5’s ultra-fast charging capability that enables it to drive more than 100km with only a 5-minute charge (WLTP Standard). To showcase this extraordinary performance, a movie trailer-style challenge was set up featuring IONIQ 5 and three devices—a smartphone, laptop and action camera—that were each charged for 5 minutes and competed to be the last to survive.

Beginning with these videos, Hyundai Motor plans to release even more engaging content that highlights the enhanced lifestyle that new IONIQ 5 customers will experience.

IONIQ 5 will debut in a virtual world premiere event in February 2021.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

I really hope Hyundai does not soften the edges on the all-new and soon to be released Ioniq 5. From the teaser images, it is a hell of a looker.

Given the 5 moniker, it sounds like a Sonata sized vehicle which is larger than the Tesla Model S by a good margin.

2021 Tesla Model S Passenger/Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 94 /26.3
    2021 Hyundai Sonata Passenger/Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 104.4/16

Moving to the drivetrain, consider the E-GMP traction battery has a maximum range of over 300 miles on the Worldwide Harmonized Light-duty vehicle Procedure (WLTP). I am a little worried about this as WLTP is short of the EPA which means 250 miles maybe? I hope Hyundai targeted an AER rating far beyond 300-miles to compete with the both the Tesla Model Y/3 and S sedan AND the all-new and just award North American Utility of the Year, 2021 Ford Mustang MachE. 300 miles is shooting behind the target imho. The Hyundai E-GMP platform can high-speed charge up to 80 percent in just 18 minutes and can add up to 60-miles of driving range in just five minutes. Remember the 400 mile range 2021 Tesla Model S can charge at a rate of 163 miles in 15-minutes on a 250 kW V3 charger on the Tesla Super Charger network so Hyundai is on par with the range per minute here.

Wayne

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

With Hyundai promoting 100 km on the WLTP in 5-minutes or about 55-miles in 5-minutes on a CCS. I doubt a 150 kW can charge an efficient BEV at maybe 145 kw in 5-minutes is at an absolute theoretical best 12 kWh. 55-miles on 12 kW is 4.7 miles/kWh. The current Tesla Model 3 Long Range is rated at a word class best - just behind the Tesla Std. Range Plus - at 4 -miles /kWh. I am guessing the Ioniq 5 is being designed for 200 to 250 KW charging with the fastest rate occurring between 15 and 30 percent SoC.

In any case, you might like the teaser vid with 5-minutes of fast charging to a smartphone, laptop, cam, and Ioniq 5 is posted above and here again. You can guess who will easily win this shootout. ;)

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  10. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

I think my Moto G7 Power phone could win... 5 hours run time with 5 minutes of charging. (rounded down after dividing by 3, the following "15 minute charge netting almost 16 hours" benchmark.
    Screenshot_20210131-122114.png

Edit:
    Another contender is my Amazfit GTR smart watch which will run a full day on 5 minutes charge on the normal (slow) charger. (2 hours for a full charge that runs up to 24 days. I've had the watch run longer on a charge but now I just charge every couple of weeks to keep the battery healthy.)
    Screenshot_20210131-132740.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.