1994 Geo Metro XFI (Sold)

Discussion in 'For-Sale/Wanted' started by visionseeming, May 9, 2020.

1. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

It's taken me long enough, but I'm finally advertising my 1994 Geo Metro XFI for sale. This car has been with me through a lot... I've had it for just about a decade now. Took me through college, my first job, my first apartment, etc.

But since I bought the Prius C last summer I've been meaning to sell it. I would rather see it in the hands of another capable hypermiler than having it collect dust in my garage. :)

Anyway here is the Craigslist ad. If anyone here is interested, please reply to the ad or this thread, and we can go from there.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/mission-viejo-1994-geo-metro-xfi-58-mpg/7121123119.html

Thanks!

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I wish this car was closer to me.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I had a Suzuki Swift GTI which was sort of the predecessor to your car except that it was the hot-hatch version with a 1.8L four (I think). It was hands-down the worst car I've ever owned and I traded it in in a fit of anger late one night to get a new 92 Honda Civic Si which I loved. I would be surprised if you could get anything but scrap money for your car. Much newer, nicer cars aren't selling in this economy. If I had the car I would donate it to a charity for tax purposes or keep it for a possible cash-for-clunkers-2 stimulus deal.

4. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Sold... at $2999. Was someone local who seemed to have an interest in small cars and a home mechanic. Hope they enjoy it! Mods, feel free to close this thread.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

The Swift GTI was a 1.3 , 100 BHP car. I liked it.
    I think by that time I already had my 89 Civic Si , but the Swift was a "hot hatch" also.
    I think the Metro ( previously called Chevrolet Sprint ) was a reasonably reliable car.
    Some folks kept them going for decades. I drove a Sprint in 1987. I thought it was great ,
    my wife thought it was too small. We bought a Nova instead.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's a lot more accurate.

I slightly knew a pair of old bachelor brothers who had a basic Sprint. They drove it from Jersey to California and back in the summer with no air conditioning, and bragged about its mpg. A little later, they accidentally killed it trying to take the stuck oil filter off with a hammer and screwdriver (or chisel), which slipped and went through the engine block, right into the nearby oil line.

7. alster

alster Well-Known Member

My Dad had a Geo Metro XFI back in the early 1990's when he lived in Washington State. I recall when my Mom and Dad came down
    to visit us back then I did an economy run. My Dad, Mom, and myself where in the car and I drove. I filled up in town and drove from sea level to over 1,200 feet speeds varied from 35-60 mph when we returned about 100 miles later I filled up at the same station and pump in town. I filled up right to the brim just like
    when we left MPG was nearly 60 MPG.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

I'd love to see the YouTube vide of THAT one.
    I will confess to hammering a screwdriver thru an oil filter on a Dodge Dart slant six ,
    but that actually worked.

9. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think instead of the old trick of hammering the screwdriver through to use as a handle, they were trying to rotate the filter by striking it off-center on the seam, so the weapon didn't have to slip far to punch into the block.