Exhaust Temperature is too high.

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by UberJager, Apr 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. UberJager

UberJager Member

Hello
    I use the Hyundai i10 1.0 LPG model. The engine has a bifuel fabricated structure. However, under engine highway conditions, there is a high exhaust gas temperature under load. Is this normal?
    The catalytic converter is made of radium element. I know it melts at 1080 degrees.
    It exceeds 900 degrees at 3500 rpm under load.

2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Hi, I have no idea, but a google search suggests:

first 900 degC is about 1652 degF, so use this as reference to the info below...

1,200 to 1,600 degrees F.

The average light off temperature at which the catalytic converter begins to function ranges from 400 to 600 degrees F. The normal operating temperature can range up to 1,200 to 1,600 degrees F. But as the amount of pollutants in the exhaust go up, so does the converter's operating temperature.

Catalytic Converter - AA1Car

another source:

How hot is too hot for catalytic converter?
    An overworked (or clogged) catalytic converter can easily go from its normal operating temperature range of about 1,200 to 1,600 degrees Fahrenheit (648.9 to 871.1 degrees Celsius) to up over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit (1,093.3 degrees Celsius).

5: Overheating Catalytic Converters - Top 10 Causes of Car Fires ...

So, if one is to believe the above sources, your 900 degC is just barely above the normal range. It is good that you seem knowledgeable about car engines and exhausts and are keeping an eye on things.

UberJager and Jay like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The exhaust valves depend heavily on oil flow around the stems for cooling. Are you using the correct viscosity? Too heavy an oil will restrict flow and thick fluids absorb and carry away less heat than thin.

UberJager likes this.
  4. UberJager

UberJager Member

Hi
    I use 5w-30 API A5 engine oil in my vehicle.

Jay likes this.