Meet the All-new 2021 Hyundai Elantra

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 19, 2020.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Following the Corolla, a 50+ mpg Hybrid Elantra will be offered as well. :)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 17, 2020

2021 Hyundai Elantra

[​IMG]

In case you want to watch the reveal from LA, here it is in its entirety as Hyundai has officially launched its all-new 2021 Elantra and Elantra Hybrid.

The 2021 Elantra adds a new design identity, hybrid electric vehicle technology, and segment-first wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity. The car also provides improved driving dynamics and the most progressive in-car experience in its class. Production of the 2021 Elantra starts in the fall in Ulsan, Korea and at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama, with sales beginning in the fourth quarter.

2021 Hyundai Elantra/Elantra Hybrid

The presentation begins at 5-minutes in. The Hybrid intro begins at the 36:00 minute mark.​

2021 Hyundai Elantra Highlights
    • All-new 7th Gen Elantra compact sedan built on an all-new platform
    • Longer wheelbase, wider stance, lower roofline
    • Second Hyundai vehicle after the all-new 2020 Sonata with new design identity
    • An everyday 4-door-coupe with innovative molding and engineering
    • First-ever Elantra Hybrid
    • More than 50 MPG estimated combined fuel economy on hybrid model
    • Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
    • Hyundai’s optional Digital Key allowing unlock, start and drive without a physical key via a smartphone or NFC card
    • Enhanced natural-language voice-recognition system
    • Standard SmartSense safety and convenience
    • Two available 10.25-inch multimedia screens under one piece of glass
    The all-new Elantra is a compact sedan that the next generation wants to drive. It is for customers that are pragmatic and sensible yet disruptive and always questioning traditions. This daring and non-conforming mindset is evident in the progressive and exciting Elantra. It provides a better mobility experience as Hyundai becomes the “Smart Mobility Solution Provider” of the future.

Longer, Lower, and Wider

Competitive Comparison Specifications (inches)

_________20 Elantra____21 Elantra_____20 Corolla______20 Civic______20 Sentra____20 Mazda3_____20 Jetta

Length:____181.9_________184.1_________182.3_________182.7________182.7________183.5________185.1
    Width:______70.9__________71.9__________70.1__________70.9_________71.5_________70.7_________70.8
    Height:_____56.5__________55.7__________56.5__________55.7_________56.9_________56.9_________57.4
    Wheelbase:_106.3_________107.1_________106.3_________106.3________106.8________107.3________105.7

The 2021 Elantra gains 2.2 inches in overall length and 0.8 inch in its wheelbase, and the overall width is increased one inch. The overall height was dropped 0.8 inch, and the front cowl point was moved back almost two inches. These minor changes changed the shape of the car but had limited impact on cabin space. Most key interior dimensions increased.

The new Elantra is highlighted by its geometric crystals and divided body surfaces exterior design.

Front Highlights
    • Jewel-pattern grille with turn-signal integration
    • Cascading grille with integrated headlamps
    • Well-refined gem-like shapes with the bodyside surfaces
    Profile Highlights
    • Forwarded stance profile with a long, low hood
    • Character line from the front to the rear
    • Jewel body surfaces
    • Available 15-, 16-, and 17" wheel designs with Jewel Dynamics theme
    Rear Highlights
    • Horizontal line across the trunk center to the edges
    • “H-Tail Lamp” w/ Hyundai flying H logo-like shape
    • Rear glass w/ black deck accent
    • Wing-type lower bumper treatment
    • Well-refined jewel-like shapes
    Inside, the two large and connected 10.25-inch displays create a futuristic feeling.

Interior Highlights
    • 10.25-inch information-display cluster and 10.25-inch infotainment system
    • Slim vents
    • Customizable 64-color mood lighting
    • Unique passenger grab handle
    • Door center trim is long and low w/ low-placed handles
    2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid

For the first time in an Elantra, a hybrid powertrain has been added featuring the Ioniq's 1.6L GDI Atkinsonized I4 and 32 kW permanent-magnet electric motor fed from a 1.32 kWh Li-Po battery under the rear seats. Together, they provide 139 system hp and 195 lb-ft of torque. The drivetrain mates to the quick-shifting, 6-speed, dual-clutch transmission. The DCT reliability question is still a question mark... The 2021 Elantra Hybrid is projected to have a combined EPA estimated fuel economy rating of more than 50 MPG.

2.0L Non-hybrid Drivetrain

[​IMG]

The Elantra SE, SEL, and Limited appear to include a carryover of the 147 hp and 132 lb-ft. of torque Atkisonized 2.0L. However, Hyundai stated they are projected to achieve a best-in-class EPA combined fuel economy ratings, an improvement over previous models, due in part to an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT). The IVT and possibly this engine already provides a 31/41/35 rating for the SE and 30/40/34 rating for the SEL and Limited. Will they arrive with a higher rating than the current 32/42/36 rated 2020 Civic Sedan with the 1.5L T and CVT?

Hyundai’s CVT simulates gear shifts like those in an AT. It uses a wide-ratio pulley system that allows for improved fuel economy at higher gear ratios and improved performance at lower ratios.

2021 Hyundai Elantra Ride and Handling Improvements

Lower seating position by lowering seat height
    Lower center of gravity, increasing driving stability and makes the driver feel more connected to the car
    Multiple load paths for frontal crash performance
    Improved steering by moving gearbox position upward
    Improved suspension mounting structure for more responsive handling
    Front cowl point moved back and down for four-door-coupe appearance
    Developed to house internal combustion engines and hybrid powertrains

The Elantra Hybrid models offer a fully independent multilink setup in the rear and standard 16-inch alloys.

2021 Hyundai Elantra Interior

[​IMG]

Despite the low roofline, the all-new Elantra provides 40.6 in of front headroom and 37.3 in of rear headroom, more up front and the same amount out back as its predecessor. The longer wheelbase also provides a best-in-class 38.0 inches of rear legroom and the wider track width means improved shoulder room in the front and rear. The trunk is rated at 14.2 cu. ft.

Dimensions in inches

__________________20 Elantra_________21 Elantra__________20 Civic__________20 Corolla

F/R Legroom:______42.2/35.7__________42.3/38.0__________42.4/37.0_________42.0/34.9
    F/R Headroom:___-_40.3/37.3__________40.6/37.3__________40.4/37.3_________39.2/36.5
    F/R Shoulder Room: 56.2/55.3__________56.5/55.6__________56.9/55.0_________55.0/54.5

Standard Interior Features
    • 8" color display audio system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and HD Radio
    • Bluetooth and steering wheel audio controls
    • Drive Mode Select
    • Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
    Optional Interior Features
    • Blue Link Connected Car System w/ three years of complimentary Blue Link services
    • Qi wireless charging
    • 10.25-inch infotainment system, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
    • Bose premium sound w/ eight speakers
    The new Elantra continues to offer Hyundai’s Blue Link Connected Car System, which uses embedded telematics to allow drivers to remote-start their vehicle and control interior temperature using the MyHyundai smartphone app. The app also allows users to either remotely lock or unlock their doors, and to find their vehicle in a crowded parking lot with Car Finder and remote horn and lights.

In addition, Blue Link in the new Elantra arrives with cloud-based navigation, which offers free up-to-the-minute traffic information and POI searches.

[​IMG]
    About that C-Pillar, black plastic insert, and angular treatment into the taillamps, not a huge fan.​

2021 Hyundai Elantra Infotainment

The 10.25" instrument display has 3 views: Utility, driver assistance and navigation. The optional infotainment system displays a wide variety of useful information across its 10.25" split touchscreen.

The navigation system includes a bird’s-eye view in navigation maps, and drivers get connected routing. Server-based routing makes the onboard navigation experience similar to current smartphone navigation apps.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are std. w/ dual Bluetooth support optional, one for phone calls and one for streaming audio. The navigation system also comes with three years of Blue Link Multimedia/Map updates.

The new Elantra’s standard eight-inch Display Audio user interface allows owners to leave the cell phone cords at home. This is because Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are available as segment-first features, allowing one to leave the phone in a pocket or purse.

Voice Recognition System -- The all-new Elantra has an enhanced natural language voice recognition system with more and better feature control. This natural-language voice recognition system includes Speech-to-Meaning and Deep Meaning Understanding technologies, delivering unprecedented speed and accuracy in voice recognition and responses, and an ability to understand context, such as the user’s location to support natural interactions.

Using a natural voice, one can control the:
    • Climate on/off
    • Air conditioner on/off
    • Heat on/off
    • Fan high/low
    • Defrost on
    • Set fan to face, feet, or face and feet
    • Defrost on and set fan to feet
    • Warm up/cool down
    • Air intake system on
    • Turn on/off heated seats (driver/passenger)
    • Set heated seat levels 1, 2, or 3 (driver/passenger)
    • Rear window defroster on/off
    • Turn on/off the heated steering wheel
    2021 Hyundai Elantra Safety
    • Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) with Pedestrian Detection and Auto braking
    • Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
    • Lane Following Assist (LFA) helps keep the vehicle centered on both highways and city streets
    • High Beam Assist (HBA)
    • Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
    • Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
    Optional Safety Features
    • Blind-Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA) with Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
    • Rader Cruise Control
    • Highway Driving Assist (HDA) provides lane centering and radar CC
    • Safe Exit Warning (SEW) lets passengers know it may not be safe to open the door to exit the vehicle
    • Reverse Parking Collision Avoidance Assist (PCA) detect pedestrians and obstacles with a rearview camera and ultrasonic sensors
    2021 Hyundai Elantra

[​IMG]
    The best view and what a view it is. ;)

#HyundaiElantra #2021Elantra #MoveBoldly

BillLin likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The CVT is a deal-killer in the Elantra for me. Between the Elantra hybrid and Ioniq hybrid, I'd rather have the Ioniq. It has a better shape for hauling things and gets better FE.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Jay:

All true but the new 21 Elantra has a better interior, exterior, and will probably be priced a few thousand less. Maybe?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

It's not as good looking as my 2016 Elantra. Could be less streamlined (more hatchbackee), & should have retained the thinness of previous Elantras. But, it has a look of no other car & I like it. Sure I won't get it for under $13,000, like my old Elantra & without the manual tranny, I'll have to pass.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

My quandary is thus:

Do I get the last of the Elantra Eco's (2020)? For the right deal, I can justify the expense.
    -or-
    Wait for the 2021 Elantra Hybrid? Which would have to be priced many thousands below the Ioniq (would need to be right around the current Eco MSRP) before I can even begin to justify the expense.

As @Jay said above, the CVT is a no-go for me, leaving me with those two options.

I also have to keep in mind miles driven, my 2011 Elantra (purchased in Jan 2011) has just under 65,000 miles on it as of now.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the Hybrid premium/price jump with how few miles I tend to drive on average.

Rats...

6. litesong

litesong litesong

We've had our auto 2013 AND manual 2016 Elantras for 11 total years & 150,000 total miles between the two. Nothing has ever failed with either. We'll see if our cars will run 200,000 to 300,000 miles, each. We've been divorced from car dealers for years & hope such, for many more. I do like the looks of the 2021 Elantra & will go see it, if not to buy it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Of those choices, I think I'd go with the ECO. I don't think I'd go with the Elantra at all, though. Instead, I would try to find a used 10th gen turbo Honda Civic LX with 6-speed manual. I think Honda dropped the 6M in 2019. (?) They are rare, though.

I have driven late-model Elantras in my part-time driving job for Hertz. They have come a long way from the absolutely dreadful Elantras I used to rent 15 or more years ago. I still don't think they match up to the Civic in overall value.

8. litesong

litesong litesong

People still compare Hyundai with Honda, even tho Hyundai vehicles can be obtained much cheaper than Honda,Toyota, Mazda, VW or even Nissan. Plus, you don't have to deal with snooty sales-people, who look down their noses at you, when you want a lower price on the base model. While being snooty, they turn you down! Bet that used turbo Honda, with other extras (extra cost, too), needs repair before the used Hyundai base vehicle w/manual 5 or 6 speed, which might still have some warranty left, long after the Honda warranty expired.
    But, the Hyundai warranty may not be worth too much in reality.... since you have a good chance of never USING the warranty as the Hyundai approaches 100,000 miles.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I don't see the hybrid being much less than the Ioniq.

10. litesong

litesong litesong

A lot of people in other media are declaring their likes or dis-likes of the 2021 Elantra look. Some are saying this line or that line should be moved over that-a-way. Hyundai has made their 2021 Elantra, a strong talking point.... which is what the "fluidic" 2011 Elantra did. They sold lots of 2011-16 Elantras. Hope the 2021 sells strongly, especially if their MPG increasing technology is durable.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

When I bought my 08 Civic , the salespeople were anything but snooty. They were great.
    Even 12 years later , I whole-heartedly recommend Honda of Lisle.
    Maybe one day they can sell me an Insight.

12. litesong

litesong litesong

Yeah, a welcome handshake. When I said I would pay less than the over-retail price AND less than the retail, the snottiness & hardcore bargaining began ..... which meant, "Pay our over-retail price". But, I did get my car for LESS than retail, not MORE. But, that was at the Hyundai dealership, for a Hyundai..... many thousands less than at Honda.....easily too. Saved so much money, we eventually got a second Hyundai. Really cheap, too. Now we have a family of 3 Hyundai cars.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    xcel, JonNC and BillLin like this.
  13. xcel

Hi All:

Some more 2021 Hyundai Elantra eye candy. This is the Hybrid exterior and some of its displays.

2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. litesong

litesong litesong

Yeah, I'm getting cozy with the Elantra looks, even if it is a hybrid. The grill looks sweet, but..... very breakable.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    BillLin likes this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think it's a good car , but styling is too gimmicky and fussy for me.
    But that means the next generation will be more conservative. :)

BillLin likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Creasing to the side sheet metal is what kept the current Chevy sedans from fading into just another rental car. The Elantra's are more dynamic, which some will see as going too far, but I think it's better to stand out from the crowd. The sedan segment has suffered from a level of sameness for years, which gets harder to move against with aerodynamics needed to meet increasing economy standards. Models need to visually stand out for sales. Not just against other sedans, but the more popular SUVs.

The lower fuel economy standard could mean the return of the notchback, so future designs may have conservative, yet distinctive elements again.

BillLin likes this.
  17. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

If you crosscheck the Elantra specs vs the Ioniq, you find out they are the same car. Same powertrain. Same wheelbase, mostly the same interior dimensions. The Elantra is 8 inches longer but has roughly half as much cargo space, at 14.2 cubic feet (Ioniq is 26.5). Ioniq Limited EPA is 55/54/55, so it's a no-brainer to conclude EPA combined will be 50+ for the newest little origami-themed commuter.

For anyone lusting after the economy of the Elantra hybrid, you can have the hatchback version today at your local dealer - plenty in stock and with lots of cash on the hood. Just ask for the Ioniq.